Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Not exactly in line with the forum topic but tied in (no pun intended) somewhat. I am the Chief Instructor for our Outdoor Ministry at church. Tomorrow evening I will be doing a fly casting and fly tying class. This will cover the basics to get people started. There is a method to my madness- we all know that carp can be caught on the fly, along with other species. This will be mentioned, if not, emphasized. I also plan on going early and setting up my carp gear- rods, pod, alarms, mat, sling, scale, etc. I'm going to take the brochures and cards I got from CAG and pass these out. The website will be mentioned, many times, to get them curious to see what it is all about. I'll even offer to take them carping. I have six signed up so I'm hoping to get a commitment to try carping. I'm also ready to field comments and questions about the "trash fish" mentality. Also, I'll take some magazines to show them some pictures of BIG carp! Once in a while, I get a good idea.

I'll also be doing a fishing class with the school age kids this summer at the church summer camp. This is for elementary age kids. I thought I will set up the carping stuff for them, too.

Both of these sound like great opportunities to stir up some new interest in carping.

Good luck with the class tomorrow -- AND with the kids this summer.

Had eight show up but four of them left early, before I got a chance to talk about carp. The other four were rather impressed with the Euro-style gear. One thing I emphasized was how we take care of the carp- fish-friendly net, wet unhooking mat, wet weighing sling, and then............release to catch another day!

Had eight show up for the class but four had to leave early. I showed the "faithful four" the carp gear and explained what it was for. The bite alarm got their attention- never seen one before. I emphasized carp care- fish friendly net, wet unhooking mat, wet weighing sling, weighing the fish on the scale tripod, and..........release to catch another day. They were amazed that carp in other countries were given names and weights recorded to compare with subsequent catches. Hopefully, I planted a seed for a better acceptance of carp as a sport fish rather than the mistaken trash fish concept that many people have.

If two of those four will try it and catch a few carp, maybe they will each introduce two more, and those four will teach two more, etc...

That's the way things get started.