Carp Anglers Group Forums
FJR1

2015 J-Town Fall 40's Tournament Schedule and Format at Joliet, IL

Illinois Carp Fishing NEWS Fall 40's Tournament Series announced for Fall 2015
jolietfall_banner.jpg

The Illinois Carp Fishing NEWS J-Town Fall 40’s Series of tournaments will be back at Joliet's DesPlaines River for 2015. A few changes are listed below including the fact that
there will be prizes for the top ten finishers in each tournament including baitrunner reels and carp rods.

I anticipate five tournaments based on the dates listed on our liability insurance and based on approval by the city of Joliet, IL.

In addition, while perusing the new IDNR Fishing Regulations booklet, I noticed that tournament permits must now be acquired at least 30 days in advance of an event. This is a simple process, and I will be submitting applications in the near future. However, based on those permit deadlines, please note that there will be no Ottawa “Saturday in the Park” event this summer.

Joliet has been spotty the past two years, so I am hoping that things pick up for 2015. Some details and procedural changes follow:

1. The potential dates on our insurance certificate are August 29, Sept. 12 and 26, Oct. 10 and 24, Nov. 14 and 28, and Dec. 5 and 12. Other tournaments and family commitments eliminate Sept. 12 and 26. Therefore, I am announcing the following tournament dates:

joliet_2014_090614_banner.jpg
Saturday, August 29, 2015 - Welcome Back Tournament

joliet_2012_092212_banner.jpg

Saturday, October 10, 2015 - Welcome to Fall Tournament

joliet_2012_101312_banner.jpg
Saturday, October 24, 2015 - Autumn Colors Tournament

joliet_fall2013_paul_wells_banner.jpg

Saturday, November 28, 2015 - Annual Paul Wells Memorial Thanksgiving Tournament

Sam Snow passed away in August 2015. The December 12 event will be held in his memory/honor.
joliet_2012_120112_banner.jpg
Saturday, December 12, 2015 - Sam Snow Memorial Holiday Tournament

2. At all sessions at 6:30 a.m. sharp, participating anglers will be part of a drawing to determine the order for peg choice. The order of this draw will be in the chronological order that anglers arrived at the venue.

The angler who draws the #1 chip will have first choice of pegs. The angler who draws the #2 chip will have second choice, and so on. Peg choices will be made in the order of chip numbers drawn. An angler will have a half-minute to make his peg choice.

Anglers arriving after 6:30 a.m. will draw, using the same format as the 6:30 a.m. draw, to determine choice of whatever pegs remain. There are no call-in peg choices, nor can someone choose for you in your absence. "You snooze, you lose."

joliet_fall2012_pegs_24.jpg
Six pegs at Jackson Street will also be available for consideration: #25 north of bridge, #26 just south of bridge, #27 just south of 26, #28 just south of 27, #29 just south of 28, and #30 just south of 29.
jackson_pegs_2015.jpg

3. There will be only one tournament on each day, as opposed to dividing the day into two events and wasting time moving. Due to a one tournament day, times for each event will be as follows:

Peg draw: 6:30 a.m. sharp at pegs 6-7 (Parking lot at Bluff and Jefferson adjacent to the west bank of the DesPlaines River). If possible, please arrive a few minutes early for fee payment, waiver signature, scorecard distribution, meet and greet, etc.
bicentennialmap.jpg

Tournament time: 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (addresses shortened time of sunlight this time of year and allows time to return home for Saturday evening commitments).

Awards: Shortly after 3:30 p.m. at pegs 6-7.

4. At least four anglers must commit to a tournament to make it a GO.

5. All tournaments will be a Big 4 format.

6. Entry fee will be $30 and all fees will be returned to the prize package. There will be optional $5 winner-take-all sidepots for total # of carp and for big carp of the day.

There will be prizes for the top ten finishers in each tournament. The prize package is as follows:

1st. First place finishers will receive cash - 50% of entry fees - and a medal.
2nd. Second place finishers will receive cash - 30% of entry fees - and a medal.
3rd. Third place finishers will receive cash - 20% of entry fees - and a medal.
4th. Fourth place finishers will receive a used but functional Daiwa Opus Plus-type baitrunner reel (retails new for about $100).

5th. Fifth place finishers will receive a used but functional 12' Daiwa Maddragon carp rod (retails new for about $70)
Note: If finishers 1, 2, 3 prefer the Daiwa reel or rod over the cash, the cash will then roll over to the next finisher in line.

6th. Sixth place finishers will receive an assortment of five, new inline or clipped carp leads of 3 ounces of more (5 leads retail new for about $12).

7th. Seventh place finishers will receive a set of five (5) US Crop Pro drink bottles donated by Jim Rink.
8th. Eighth place finishers will receive a container of Big Bob’s mussel flavored corn.
9th. Ninth place finishers will receive a two (2), new US Crop Pro caps donated by Jim Rink.
10th. Tenth place finishers will receive two (2), new US Crop Pro beverage
koozies donated by Jim Rink.

If there are 6 or fewer anglers at a tournament, the prize money will be divided for just two places in a 60%-40% format, but the other prizes remain for up to 6 places.

Medals will also be awarded to the top 3 finishers and to the big fish winner and # of fish winner!
joliet_medals_2015.jpg

7. Up to three rods will be allowed, but your third rod must be marked with your name and address as required by IDNR. Other tournament rules (witnesses, required mats, no treble hooks, peg boundaries, etc.) will be the same as in past years.

Good luck. Hope you can make it for some of this fall’s events.
—Frank Rink, Tournament organizer

The Detailed Rules for the Fall 2015 Illinois Carp Fishing News Tournament Series at Joliet

Some details may change tournament to tournament, but these are the basics:

1. Holidays, family events, and other outdoor activities make it tough for an angler to participate in a league that mandates attendance at every event. Consequently, the 2015 Illinois Carp Fishing News Tournament Series will feature separate tournaments. Anglers may fish in all events or pick and choose which events he/she would like to attend.

2. Most tournaments will be Big 4 events (total of heaviest four carp caught by an angler during the tournament). However, there will also be optional contests for Big Fish and Total Number of Fish.

Peg choice for each session will be conducted at pegs 6-7 (Bluff and Jefferson parking lot), Bicentennial Park (South) in Joliet, Illinois. The peg draw will begin EXACTLY at 6:30 a.m. If you are late, you will be at the end of the list for peg choice.

Pegs/flags shall be about 10-20 yards apart and will be staked out by the league official(s) and numbered PRIOR TO CHOOSING PEGS.

3. North Bicentennial Park and South Bicentennial Park (both east and west banks) will be pegged (29 pegs) for each event. Six Jackson Street pegs will also be available. Consequently, there will be 35 separate pegs available for a tournament.

4. At all sessions at 6:30 a.m. sharp, anglers, who are present, who have signed a 2015 waiver of liability, and who have paid their entry fees, will be part of the peg assignment process.

Each tournament will feature peg choices by participating anglers. At all sessions at 6:30 a.m. sharp, participating anglers will be part of a drawing to determine the order for peg choice. The order of this draw will be in the chronological order that anglers arrived at the venue.

Peg choices will be made in the numerical order of chip numbers drawn. The angler who draws the #1 chip will have first choice of pegs. The angler who draws the #2 chip will have second choice, and so on. An angler will have a half-minute to make his peg choice.

Anglers arriving after 6:30 a.m. will draw, using the same format as the 6:30 a.m. draw, to determine choice of whatever pegs remain. There are no call-in peg choices, nor can someone choose for you in your absence. "You snooze, you lose."

5. Tournaments will be limited to a minimum of four anglers, and, usually, there will be no maximum. However, the organizer may set a maximum participation limit.

6. Anglers may go to their pegs immediately after they choose their pegs. All pegs will be along the west and east shores of the Desplaines River at Bicentennial Park (north and/or south parks) and at the Jackson St. bridge. There is the possibility that an angler could choose a peg that is isolated from the other anglers. An isolated peg is defined as a peg that has no other anglers in your section. For purposes of witnessing catches, there are eight sections defined by the following peg groupings: (1, 2, 3, 4), (5, 6, 7, 8), (9, 10, 11, 12), (13, 14, 15, 16), (17, 18, 19), (20, 21, 22), (23, 24, 24A, 24B, 24C, 24D, 24E) (25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30). An isolated angler may weigh his own fish on the honor system. All recordable fish must be released alive and in good condition.

7. During the preparation period, competitors may set-up their gear, test their rigs, and plumb depth. Electronic depth finders are allowed. YOU MAY NOT CHUM UNTIL THE START OF EACH TOURNAMENT.

8. Anglers must be positioned NOT farther than 6 (six) feet to either side of their peg/flag if you have anglers positioned on either side of you. An angler may fish up to HALF THE DISTANCE TO THE NEXT OCCUPIED PEG on either side. If you choose pegs where there is no angler at a peg to your left or to your right, you may cast as far to the left or right as you can/wish. You may also position your rods as close to the bridges/ends as possible (pegs 1, 8, 9, 16, 17, 22, 23, 24E (do not enter police parking lot), 25, 26, 30) if you wish.

As of 11:30 a.m. the day of the tournament, an angler may begin fishing at another open peg under the following conditions:
A. The peg must be one of the 30 marked/flagged pegs in the tournament venue, and it must be unoccupied.
B. The newly chosen peg must have open/unoccupied pegs immediately adjacent to it. For example, if an angler wants to move to peg 2, there may not be another tournament angler fishing in pegs 1 and 3. However, if there is a bridge between pegs, the open, adjacent peg (on the other side of the bridge) may be claimed.
C. An angler can claim the peg by being physically at the peg and placing some kind of fishing equipment near the peg chains. First come, first served. You may not claim a new peg until you have vacated and stopped fishing at your previous peg. Only one peg change is allowed over the course of the tournament.
D. An angler can claim a peg at any time before or after 11:30 a.m., but he may not start fishing there until 11:30 a.m. or after. Chumming is not allowed at the newly chosen peg until 11:30 a.m. or after.
E. This arrangement does pose the risk of someone chumming a peg prior to the tournament. We trust your honor and are confident that such prior feeding will not be the case.

9. Unless otherwise specified, anglers will be restricted to fishing with 3 poles, 3 lines, and 3 hooks at a time. As per Illinois DNR regulations, the third rod must be marked with your name and address. An angler may have as many spares set-up and ready as wanted, but he may only use three (3) at a time. Plumbing rods and electronic depth/fish finders are allowed and may be used while your three baited lines are in the water.

Safe carp care is a must. No treble hooks are allowed. Do not gill captured fish. Unhooking mats are required.

10. Ledger, feeder, hair-rigging, side-hooking, and float fishing are allowed. NO artificial lures such as jigs may be used. However, imitation baits are allowed: plastic corn, boilies, etc.

11. An angler MUST STRIKE and PLAY the fish UNASSISTED. In other words, if anyone other than the pegged angler touches the pole/reel with a fish on the line, that fish will not count. Netting the fish may be done by anyone.

12. All fish will be weighed in the presence of an angler who is entered in the competition, unless you are at an isolated peg (no anglers within your section), in which case you may weigh your own fish on the honor system. Each fish weighed will require the weight, time of catch, and signature/initials by the witnessing angler recorded on the score sheet, or the fish WILL NOT COUNT! A fish must be released alive and able to swim away in good shape, or the fish WILL NOT COUNT! Eligible carp are commons, mirrors, crucians, hybrids/goldfish, and koi.

13. A fish must be hooked by the ending time of each event, and fishing stops at that time! Since we will all be fishing different locations, there will be no horn or whistle, just an honor system. If a carp is hooked just prior to the ending time, it must be out of the water within 15 minutes of the ending time. Once again, the honor system applies here. Anglers are to submit their score sheets to the organizer at the conclusion of the tournament.

14. All anglers must have a valid Illinois fishing license. You wlll need a 2015 Illinois fishing license for events from April 1, 2015 through March 31, 2016.

15. The entry fees are $30 for the day. 100% of entries will be returned as prizes at the rate of 50% for first, 30% for second, and 20% for third. There will also be optional $5 winner-take-all sidepots for the total number of carp captured and for big carp of the day.

You must catch a fish to win a prize. If nobody catches fish or if fewer than three anglers catch fish, the un-won entry fees will be returned to non-winners in equal portions.

16. The session will be held no matter what the river conditions are. However, dangerous weather may cause suspension, postponement, or cancellation.

17. If an angler arrives at his peg, and a local angler is fishing in that peg, then he is to set up as close as he can to his assigned peg. If that puts him too close to the next assigned peg, the angler at the next assigned peg will have to adjust, also, to allow both anglers room.

18. Tie-breakers--In the case of a tie in weight, the prize will be split evenly.

19. As a matter of courtesy and fairness to all, anglers and their designees are asked not to bait or fish the venue 24 hours prior to an event. Thank you.

20. For tournament results and angler recognition, please take photos of some of your catches and send them to the tournament host.

21. Have fun, be safe, and catch some fish! Good luck!

Frank, I am trying to finalize the dates for Dixon over the weekend....with the administration change smaller budget my contacts are different and the events are being piggy - backed to other happenings so I am trying to get final answers this weekend....I'll let you know if there is a change from the following and I'll reopen my threads for up dates.

Currently Dixon dates are as follows

Saturday and Sunday August 22 and 23, 2015 is the planned date with August 29 and 30, 2015 as the back up dates in case of weather or flood issues.

Thanks Frank, hope to make some of the fall events, and feel free to bring info to pass out at Dixon should you wish to gain a few anglers.

Larry

I should hopefully be able to make it out to a few this year.

Looks like Illinois is doing a great job in promoting carp fishing! I was looking at the Joliet map on Google Earth and it looks like a great place for a tournament. That is a negative here in TN with very few open places on all the miles of shoreline that we have. :( Kind of wish I hadn't sold my boat.

Good luck with the tourneys and good fishing!

Frank, I am trying to finalize the dates for Dixon over the weekend....with the administration change smaller budget my contacts are different and the events are being piggy - backed to other happenings so I am trying to get final answers this weekend....I'll let you know if there is a change from the following and I'll reopen my threads for up dates.

Currently Dixon dates are as follows

Saturday and Sunday August 22 and 23, 2015 is the planned date with August 29 and 30, 2015 as the back up dates in case of weather or flood issues.

Thanks Frank, hope to make some of the fall events, and feel free to bring info to pass out at Dixon should you wish to gain a few anglers.

Larry

Thanks for the update, Larry. Family commitments have me away from Dixon on August 22-23, but if your back up dates of August 29-30 are used, I'll cancel my event and attend yours. Best of luck with your Dixon Carp Derby! Hope you can make it to Joliet sometime this fall. --Frank

I should hopefully be able to make it out to a few this year.

Looking forward to your return, Zach. --Frank

Looks like Illinois is doing a great job in promoting carp fishing! I was looking at the Joliet map on Google Earth and it looks like a great place for a tournament. That is a negative here in TN with very few open places on all the miles of shoreline that we have. :( Kind of wish I hadn't sold my boat.

Good luck with the tourneys and good fishing!

Thanks, as always, John, for your kind words and encouragement. -- Frank

Rail City Fall Classic is October 7th thru 11th. Fish-On Bill

Fish-On Bill--A couple years ago, I canceled an event because you had scheduled one on the same weekend. You never held your scheduled event, so nobody got to fish. I won't let that happen again.

In addition, we will have just been at Lake Storey in late September for the 2015 CCC, and most who attend Joliet events don't do overnighters.

I'm going to go ahead with the October 10 "Welcome to Fall" tournament in Joliet, but if less than four commit to my event on 10/10, I'll probably be in Galesburg for one of the days of your event. --Frank

Im in for most of the Joliet events!

Good to hear, Larry. I'll post a sign-up thread for the August 29 "Welcome Back" Tournament later this week after I take a few photos of prizes. Please note that if Larry Kirchner's Dixon event is held on Aug. 29-30. I'll postpone the Joliet event until mid-November. Thanks. --Frank

I should make most of them... buy I'm out of town (Vegas) for the first tournament unless the date changes

I should make most of them... buy I'm out of town (Vegas) for the first tournament unless the date changes

Thanks, Chad! Have fun in Vegas!