Carp Anglers Group Forums
Jaffar Syed

Rods so many to choose from ?

I been using the maddragons 3.25 for couple of years now .. I am planning to get two more rods sometime soon .. been doing lot of search on review hear and on google ...

what should i upgrade to - I want something that will last and work well with methods or large PVA .. +go over distance 100+ ..(I know technique plays a big role )

I am on budget ..

Used - Daiwa Longbow DF

New Shimano Tribal Velocity

Used Century FS/SP/ARMLITE - i may get an old one on ebay - ?

new St Croix - wait until CCC they have 40% on 2rods ?

Resistance tackle had there 100+ dollar rods on sale for 50 and 40. Ive casted both and they are great i had mad dragons and switched to these and they are awesome worth every penny impo. I was casting my spomb with the 40 dollar rod and will cast easily with a full spomb. The 50 i use to actually fish and i like also. Im stuck between the two. I love the 40 it can take abuse the 50 i love but i dont thinkbit can get abused as much lol.

The rods you posted are all awesome and are probably better then thise. If i had the money itll be centurys

SoCal,

I dont want to break the bank..I am kinda happy with daiwa and it has taken quite a abuse in last two years or so.and im think to add few more rods and try a different one - frankly i do not take good care of my rods .. they stay in my old van for weeks .. as i said im on budget but want something that would stay longer not for big names but i see those lasts years .. the dragon rod seems different while casting .. feels like bit soft .. .

I'll soon have two Saxon 3.0tc rods for sale as soon as my new ones get in

We can work out a deal depending on your budget.

Jaffar, don't keep your rods in the van if possible. Take them out and clean them. I clean my rods after every session; this goes for any rod. If you use monofilament line, the heat in the van can really do harm to the line. You don't want the line to break when you hook a good fish. FWIW, I have rods that are over 45 years old and reels that are over 55 years old and still can be used. They are retired now...like me. Take care of them and they will take care of you.

I really love my fox rods. Full cork handles 12' 3.5 tip I believe. Wait and check everyone's rods out at the fish in. May help to steer you towards what you are looking for.

. Wait and check everyone's rods out at the fish in. May help to steer you towards what you are looking for.

do this having it on hands helps a lot

^^ 2x on the resistance tackle if you don't wanna break the bank. To me they are like the mad dragons just a little thicker with all the good upgrades. Fuji reel seat and eyes. But if your looking at buying century rods seems you would be interested in something more expensive

here is little more - family friend is coming from UK in september - i thought if i could get a used brand rod for cheaper .. I will have a chance to put hands on those rods...but again if i am lucky to find a used rod in < 200$ but that being said .. if i have to get a rod in my budget the one mentioned here would be probable good bet . I love ugly stick's u guys may laugh f but a rod bought 3 year ago still works good 29$ . the only problem i had with is guides are too soft .. I easily fish method on a 1/4 ounce lead bullet and it cast easily about 30yards.

I wanted something that works for little longer - not worrying about rod getting softer or guides ...

Jaffar, don't keep your rods in the van if possible. Take them out and clean them. I clean my rods after every session; this goes for any rod. If you use monofilament line, the heat in the van can really do harm to the line. You don't want the line to break when you hook a good fish. FWIW, I have rods that are over 45 years old and reels that are over 55 years old and still can be used. They are retired now...like me. Take care of them and they will take care of you.

thanks that a very valuable advice.. i never thought of reel sitting in van in this heat ..