Carp Anglers Group Forums
JasonB

How to clean and maintain rods and reels?

normally I just use warm water and a sponge to wipe off dort and grime after each use, should I be doing more to clean the rods and reels? Should I grease the reels?

During fishing season I dunk them in the lake. Just leave them out to dry in the basement got a dehumidifier in there. I never really put them away I like fishing poles for decoration. They are all over the house.

I wash mine with dish detergent, let dry and put a coat of car wax on them.

Jason, Just the act of wiping down/cleaning your reels after every session is a Big plus. i think greasing and oiling more than twice a year would be overkill. JMO. Too much grease could have the opposite effect and collect more dirt and grime.

Also if you chose to grease your reels yourself be extra careful. These newer reels have a lot of small washers and if you put one in the wrong location you can cause the gears to grind or not mesh well. I was part of a high end gear mostly bass fishing forum for years and guys would routinely destroy $100 to $400 reels trying to grease them. I would recommend you have the reel manual on hand and even someone who's done it before help your first time. Every winter I degrease and re grease all of my fishing reels I think that's more than enough as there clean and very little if no wear inside.

Usually I just wipe mine down with a wet paper towel, and then dry them. Occasionally, if a reel is really dirty, sandy, muddy, etc., I will submerge it in warm water and reel it a few times and loosen and re-tighten the drag, while it's underwater. Then I thoroughly dry it. That's only if there's some sort of grit between parts of the reel.

Mmm........looks I am the only one who still believes that several years of accumulated method mix builds character in a reel?? :titanic:

Iain

Mmm........looks I am the only one who still believes that several years of accumulated method mix builds character in a reel?? :titanic:

Iain

i with you on that. I do very little to mine. An end of the year leaning and oiling is it. I like buying new stuff anyway !

During the winter months I send my reels out to Sea Isle Tackle for complete breakdown, cleaning & replacement of any worn parts.

They do an excellent job & I am confident they will perform well for the next year of fishing.

I sometimes get lax about reel care, which is one reason I don't spend big bucks on mine. I've been carp fishing for more than 50 years -- before the advent of baitrunner reels, so I learned to adjust my drag -- looser, when waiting for a run, and tighter, when fighting a fish. That lets me get away with using "decent quality", but much less expensive, reels. I do try to clean and oil them from time to time, but if I forget and ruin one, it doesn't cost me a fortune to replace it.

OH -- and I try to make a point of at least wiping off the pack bait at the end of a session. :P