Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

redcoat

Big 4 and CDDM in 2015/2016?

I may have been daydreaming........but I seem to recall seeing a recent BOD thread discussing potential changes to the timing of future CAG Big 4 and Discovery Month events?

If so, I'd be interested to learn if any decisions were made?

Thanks.

Iain

Discovery Month was moved to Sept. while the Fall Big 4 was moved to Oct. I'm sure you are not alone in not knowing this.

It is suppose to be about carp fishing a body of water you have not fished before. Thus discovering new water. It was originally started in October because of Columbus Day. Also thus Columbus discovered America.....Fish-On Bill

What was the reason the Big 4 and Discovery couldn't be held simultaneously?

Maybe even run through a 90 day window? Sept 1 through Nov 30? Seems like longer accommodates(more opportunities) more of us anglers rather than just 30 days?

Maybe something to consider for '16?

Maybe even run through a 90 day window? Sept 1 through Nov 30? Seems like longer accommodates(more opportunities) more of us anglers rather than just 30 days?

The two events would directly compete with each other. Going after big fish typically means to go to known hot spots where lunkers have been caught in the past. Discovering is, of course, much more random in terms of results. And there are only so many week-end days in a month for a regular full-time worker to go fishing... Sure, a few truly dedicated folks could do both, but only a few...

Actually, it is kind of cool to do things in this order. If you hit gold in your discovery, then maybe you can benefit from it in the big-4. For which October is usually the best month (for a good number of states, at least). And if you get too frustrated in your discovery attempts (I know the drill first hand!), you can use the big-4 to restore your faith in your fishing skills in known spots. We also felt that the CCC wouldn't compete much with the Discovery month (could actually be a combo if you drive to the CCC through new locations).

We pondered about a longer duration, then felt that focus & excitement would be lost. Also, last year's attempt at doing something in November didn't work too well. Still, could be something to reconsider indeed.

First time for me, what is discovery month?

Please check this pointer (which should be updated to say September!!)

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?/forum/63-cag-discovery-month/

(and yes, Bill is right, it started as a Columbus day week-end, but we extended the format since then)

Fine.........just so long as we formally rename it as the "CAG-Big4-Discovery-Divorce & Unemployment-Challenge" :titanic:

Iain

Fine.........just so long as we formally rename it as the "CAG-Big4-Discovery-Divorce & Unemployment-Challenge" :titanic:

Iain

Good Point! lol

Have a couple of places in mind for CDDM. In fact, I can start next week. This holiday weekend is taken already.

Interesting....Columbus didn't discover America. He landed in the Caribbean. Missed America by a lot. Amerigo Vespucci gets credit for discovering America.

Did you know Columbus was off track in three ways? He didn't know where he was going. When he got there, he didn't know where he was. And when he got back to Europe, he didn't know where he had been.

So, today is September 3, 2015. Is CAG's Discovery Month scheduled for now, September 2015, or was the BoD discussion for 2016 and beyond? Has Discovery Month 2015 officially begun? Are Discovery Month parameters the same as indicated in Jerome's posted link? Did I miss a post somewhere? Is there a Discovery Month 2015 thread somewhere that I can't find? Thanks to anyone, in advance, for any help/information you can provide. --Frank

Yes, it has begun, with the same parameters as usual. The only change is that it is happening in September, and yes, in 2015!

Yes, it has begun, with the same parameters as usual. The only change is that it is happening in September, and yes, in 2015!

Thank you, sir!

Can we get a post stating that it has started and prizes if applicable. I keep thinking about the changes and didnt know if it was going on now. On calender maybe