Carp Anglers Group Forums
Carpfly

Is it me......?

I converted from fly fishing to standard carp angling in Mid July. I actually started out pretty good averaging about 4-6 fish per session. I was using corn and some homemade cornbread boilies with an oatmeal pack molded on the lead. Then about late July, we had a dry spell with significantly warmer weather. My catch rate dropped off significantly and I even blanked a few times. All my tackle has become more "proper" and I even started using commercial boilies to try and improve things but its like they got wise to my tactics. I know they are still in the area but the bites have dropped to almost nothing. Is this a hot weather slow down or did I just get lucky earlier? (confused)

Dead of summer can be rough. Could be a good time to stalk some on a fly rod though.

Yup I live on a great carp lake and didn't see any activity for about 3 weeks during the dog days. Some rain and cooler temps and the fishing is great again. So don't panic its not you.

Hot dry weather really turns them off I usually focus on night fishing or rivers during the dog days of summer

I went through the same thing this summer. What finally changed my luck was not settling on somewhere to fish until I found a spot that had active fish showing themselves every few minutes. As a fly fishermen you know a neutral or non feeding carp is just about impossible to tempt when sight fishing. The same logic applies to conventional tackle. Also fishing one rod with a fruity type boilie and one with a fishy seemed to help my odds. Some days the fish preferred one variety over another.

Good Luck!

Hot weather really blows, but you will notice some spots will still produce in the heat. Moving water is your best bet since the water is cooler and more oxygenated. Bite is always best pre spawn and during the fall feed.... But also, are you pre baiting? Because sometimes if the carp aren't feeding you still can entice some of the less stubborn ones with a good pre bait... Only problem with hot weather pre baiting.... Turtles, hate em!