Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Cannonball

Total disaster today!

OK, I got the bright idea of going to my backwater spot and trying to see what I could do with a fly rod. I rigged up last night with a tippet of 10 lb. Stren and a heavy #6 hook. I got a small bottle with some flavored sweet corn, bottle of Berkeley Gulp, and two pieces of artificial corn, courtesy of Evan C. I made sure I took my net as It would be hard to lift even a smallish carp with the rod or leader. My rod is an old 8 ft. 8 wt. Ted William fiberglass rod that was my father's. Any way, I took off as SWMBO was going to a baby shower. FWIW, my name was also on the invitation but no way that I'm going. Here's what happened in the order of events:

1. Naturally the wind picked up and was fickle, coming from the east, west, or north at various times. This rippled the water so bad that I couldn't see mud trails, let alone see feeding fish. I had polarized sunglasses but they were useless. Ever try casting in to a constant 20 mph wind? :angry:

2. Sweet corn doesn't stay on the hook which is what I expected.

3. The last straw was standing and seeing if I could get a run. Didn't realize until later that I was using a bare hook. I saw something on the end of the middle section of the rod. I thought it was a piece of lint or whatever. Closer inspection showed that the rod had been crushed on both sides! I called it quits then as I knew as soon as I had a fish on, I would have a four piece rod, with one piece being about 7 inches long. I do take this an excuse to build another rod in 8 or 9 wt. ;)

4. I will look into the artificial corn or the Berkley Gulp as it should stay on the hook during a cast. My other idea was a dip type fly- cotton wrapped around the hook and tied tight on the ends with loose wraps in the middle. Then dip or soak it in a concentrated flavor as caramel, anise, raspberry, etc. You get the idea. If any one else wants to try the cotton fly, go for it! I'm going to experiment with some sponge that we have to see if it floats or sinks when saturated.

Back home now and I think I'll go upstairs, turn on the TV and watch the Braves get shellacked again. ~8

Tight lines and screaming alarms!

Sorry about your rod...

My experience with fly fishing for them is that wind makes it nearly impossible... and that was with winds not close to 20 mph!!

And I found that white dubbing on the hook to build up a body -- like your cotton fly -- works fine without any scent or additive, so long s you can get it just a few feet in front of the fish.

This makes me want to do some fly fishing for them again! Good luck with the new rod and fly fishing for them! And I bet you could do fine with a 5 wt. too, so long as your drag is good.

Back home now and I think I'll go upstairs, turn on the TV and watch the Braves get shellacked again. ~8

Sorry to hear about your rod, John. I know you build them yourself, but it sounds like that one had some family history.

As for the Braves... UGH!!!

They had a 3 run lead going into the 9th, 2 outs, nobody on, and 2 strikes on the hitter, when he hits a fly to center, which was partially lost in the sun and blown away from the center fielder, and dropped in for a double. Our manager (?) promptly changes pitchers to set up a lefty-vs-lefty matchup. Of course the new pitcher walks the first guy, then gives up a 3-run Homer that tied the game. The Braves then lost it in the 10th.

That's 12 home losses in a row. BTW, the Braves hadn't lost as many as 11 consecutive home games since the 1930s, when they were still in Boston.

Yeah, I know my Braves rant is "off-topic", but John brought it up! :(

Franky, I have a 6 ft., 5 wt. and a 8 ft., 7 wt. plus an 8 ft. bamboo rod in 7 wt. (the old D wt.). I'm just looking for an excuse to build another rod. :yes: Have two 5 wt. blanks on the shelf in the building room right now. May just stick with blowing the dust off the 7 wt.

Can't figure out what happened to the rod- haven't used it in quite a while. If it was just damaged on one side, I would think it was hit with a weighted fly or split shot, which I rarely use.

What a day, nothing seemed to go your way. With failure comes improvement, we all have been there!

Brendan, thanks for the kind words. From the looks of your listed PB's you have possibly gone through a lot to get them. Congrats!

Cannonball, sorry hear about your rod; that's too bad.

Consider trying a carp fly. It won't come off like the corn.

Enjoy building your new rod.

MrP, will have to wait until spring. That day the water was very cloudy and sight casting was impossible. My backwater will be mud in a couple of weeks due to the winter drawdown of lakes for rain and what little snow we get. We get our precipitation in rain instead of snow. My father always said, You don't have to shovel rain.