Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

fishhead

Do I hear ...Crickets?....kinda quiet in the SW...

Well, not that quiet around the waters I fish. All year, all summer, right now, all I hear is

"WOW! That guy caught another huge one!"

Followed by someone approaching and asking what type of bait am I using?

Having a blast fishing and catching Carp and too many kitties that invade my swims....but it's all good.

Several personal bests this summer.

Too much for one post so maybe just a teaser. And more future posts.

PB white amur...er...grassie. 27# beating my old PB by a solid 2#.

A tubby orange football of a goldfish that went nearly 3#.

More mirros and commons than I can count mostly teens.

A pic or two...If i can recall how.

post-3642-0-86871400-1443668336_thumb.jp

Carpin' is alive and well in my hood.

Most times, i hunt out new urban angling sites along my commute from the south end of the valley to the north end. Barely scratching the surface and have picked up a few new spots.

This one is at the office park at work with the river right behind me.

post-3642-0-32898200-1443669647_thumb.jp

Big fish! Good idea to scout for places to fish.

Thanks for posting...Love seeing photo's from the South West. Great job!

nice goldfish and grassie!

Thanks, guys! One new venue I found and fished this year a bunch is only 8 minutes from the house. All three ponds have carp and cats. The Midas Pond was aptly named - that one has the goldfish in it! The Jordan River is right next to it with carp galore!

Very, VERY, popular little cluster of urban ponds. The middle one is always crowded....but they're all trying to catch a 9 inch stocker trout with powerbait. There might even be one in there if the comorants haven't eaten them all.

So I show up and pick vacant, gnarly looking spot to fish in and cast - NOT straight out to the featureless middle of the pond like everyone else but sideways into the shore line structure.

BAM! ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt!!!! all heads turn and watch the rod bend and reel sing.

And after the net job, photo and release someone ALWAYS comes over and asks what bait I caught that on.

...and things then get really funny....happens like this more often than not....

"What kind of bait did you catch that fish on?"

I reply, "Bread."

"Bread?"

"Yes, bread."

"bread..."

"Yep!"

" bbbrreaddd?"

"yes, like a sandwich"...and I mimic eating a sandwich.....

Later while I've got a hot swim with catch after catch, they send one of their kids over and repeat the question. This is the honest truth.

"Excuse me sir, did you say BREAD?"

Yes, and then I show them a slice.

"oh! bread!....we thought we were saying it wrong or something."

Sometimes I share my secret bait with them if I'm about done with a session.

It helps to have a bakery in the corporate HQ of the franchised deli chain where I work. FREE unlimited carp bait!

post-3642-0-47792500-1443716626_thumb.pn

The grocery stores will sometimes have old bread that is at the expired date that is cheap. The Dollar Tree has bread for a dollar a loaf. Imagine that! I just discovered some old bread in our freezer. It's going to the fish-in in Georgia next week! After all, Ecclesiastes 11:1 says to cast your bread upon the water; for you will find it after many days. Unless a carp slurps it in. :swimminfish: Solomon had to be a carp angler. :yes:

... I just discovered some old bread in our freezer. It's going to the fish-in in Georgia next week! ...

Thanks for the reminder, John. I have a loaf of old bread, and some bread crumbs that I processed in the blender, stored in the fridge.

I need to add that to my list of stuff to bring along to the fish-in next weekend.