Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

fishhead

One fish session...

...but I'll take a single 13#er any time!

Caught on sourdough bread, freelined. A family showed up and after the capture invited themselves into my swim. I gave them some bread and how to use it. Had to move as they were a bit noisy and spooked the fish.

Then the phone rang....end of sesion. Going back this evening.

post-3642-0-00465600-1444498494_thumb.jp

Nice fish! Is it hard to cast a breadball on a baitcaster? I guess it may vary depending on how big you make your breadballs, but I can't seem to get much distance with anything weighing less than, say, half an ounce.

Nice fish! Is it hard to cast a breadball on a baitcaster? I guess it may vary depending on how big you make your breadballs, but I can't seem to get much distance with anything weighing less than, say, half an ounce.

Yes, it can be tough to get any distance. However there are a couple of things you can do.

Have the swim prepped so the fish are already close in.

Dip the bread in the water for half a second or so, then cast.

Wrap the bread with miracle thread, then dip and cast.

What I do....regular size bread crust with some white on it. Near the size of a domino or two fingers from the tip to the middle knuckle.

Embed the hook well...I use #4,6 up to size one.

Dip or not, whatever I think it needs at the moment.

Press the thumb bar or spool release and let the bread down 5 to 6 feet depending on your rod rod length and height.

Pinch the line with the casting fingers and then peel off ten to 15 yards with the other hand and have that loose next to you in a snag free zone.

Then pendulum swing and pitch the bread out releasing the loose line to shoot through the guides.

Wait for the take!