Carp Anglers Group Forums
steeler

Maise? Hempseed? Where to buy?

Like the title says...

The good old sweet corn + creamed corn + large flake oat pack + boilie = tough results.

~30ish hours fishing, 2 fish on the bank, 3 dropped runs. Not acceptable, and I need to change my chumming tactics.

I just don't think oats have the staying power of a proper particle spod mix. (although, I think they will pull fish faster - i just feel it won't keep their heads down for too long - my opinion of course) So, where can I buy this stuff in bulk?

Also, maybe, where can I buy pellets? I was just going to find a pond supply store like big Al's and buy sinking koi pellets, any better suggestions?

Tough time of year for sure, but I'm determined. I've caught the carp bug again in a big way and some time has opened up for me so I've been out and about in some popular hamilton spots.... although I haven't seen anyone else out.

I think you're all fishing the CCIW/Fisherman's pier. So, I've picked some less frequented spots as I bet those spots are on fire right now, and I doubt another line on already packed swim is needed. haha.

Anyway, thanks in advance guys!

Edited by steeler

I get my maize at Ren's Pet Depot( in Waterdown near Clappison's Corners ). I think they have hemp seed too. Probably not the best price, but it's darn handy for me and my mortgage is paid. lol

Good luck Steeler. I'm gonna try extending my season this year too, no matter the weather( easy to say now, but it's a good plan ). I know a Chap who fishes into the winter months and as long as there is no ice cover at his swim, he keeps baiting and has produced.

Cheers!

Hi Paul.

I buy my bulk baits at Minor brothers in Winona. They sell egglayer, cracked and whole corn as well as pigeon seed.

BBig Al's usually only sells floating pellets but you can always phone them.

Another option is the flavourd deer corn sold at Sail or other places that sell hunting supplies.

October and early November are prime time in our area. Good luck.

Hi Paul.

I buy my bulk baits at Minor brothers in Winona. They sell egglayer, cracked and whole corn as well as pigeon seed.

BBig Al's usually only sells floating pellets but you can always phone them.

Another option is the flavourd deer corn sold at Sail or other places that sell hunting supplies.

October and early November are prime time in our area. Good luck.

Thanks mike and mark, great to have some leads!

Really in october and November? I've never really fished this time of year to be honest, so I'm very inexperienced. However, I've put a lot of time in at Pier this week and it was frustrating.

First one I caught, forgot the net at home, look like and upper double or low twenty. THat was fun getting the hook out haha. Other one I got at night, 10-12 lbs. Right off the wall, 5-10 feet out, and it's been sucky.

Where are these mystical carp this time of year? I might even try pier 4 soon. I just figured, I've just about caught every carp in the "retirement" swim (You know which one I'm talking about) there is, it was time to branch out. That swim is/was fun. Had some really sore arms some days haha. Massacred them on oats + sweet corn.

Thanks and good luck out there!

Consider making chum blocks check out my fish in and last weeks fishing pics. Every time I use them we have crazy good fishing. I started with Buckeye Bobs recipe but really the key is to include some of the bait you are fishing with. If its corn or fake corn put corn in it if its boilies put them in there. Then use a carpy mix like you do in a method mix then use corn syrup to bind it together. Make blocks. Then you put the oven on low and leave them in there to dry out and get hard.

I abhor spodding and spombing but I have used them. But honestly I have had way better luck with chum blocks.

TSC in Grimsby also sells maise, cracked corn, layer crumble, deer corn and more. Also give these guys a call. Home Hardware 10 Dartnall Rd, Hamilton, ON L8W 3N1

(905) 383-3353

TSC in Grimsby also sells maise, cracked corn, layer crumble, deer corn and more. Also give these guys a call. Home Hardware 10 Dartnall Rd, Hamilton, ON L8W 3N1

(905) 383-3353

Thanks lorne! I'll definitely be calling all these places.

Thanks again guys!