Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

I was able to sneak away for couple hours on xmas eve and catch a couple fish.

And while I was fishing, a train with 150+ cars went by, directly over my swim mind you, and I had a great take and run. I set into the fish and, unfortunately, it came off about 10 seconds later. It took about 2 minutes for the train to go by, and the run happened about 1 minute into the train going by.

So my topic tag, "Are fish affected by noise?" What do you think?

My belief prior to this incident was that fish would only be affected by noises that are unusual for them. Since these fish have lived with the train their entire lives, I didn't think the train would bother them, and today I was at least partially right.

Has this happened to anyone else?

post-8814-0-85685100-1451010297_thumb.jp

post-8814-0-99337400-1451010334_thumb.jp

post-8814-0-70980400-1451010357_thumb.jp

Having fished very busy State Park lakes these past years, I really do think the carp get used to activity, noise, vibration, within reason. I've had many a carp-on literally as speed boats or jet ski's have screamed over my spots in fairly shallow water. Other venues, i've had my swim killed for hours by someone throwing rocks into the water, or deciding to take a swim ! Interesting topic though, would be good to hear other peoples experiences ....

Would the vibrations from the train loosen food items from the bridge and the underwater pilings? Just a thought. A train would be like ringing a dinner bell. It would be interesting to see how sounds condition fish and feeding activity.

I would imagine they have to get used to the noise, if the noises/disturbances occur regularly. I've caught fish with boaters right on top of the swim, but those were in spots that regularly see a lot of traffic. I bet a motorboat over a spot in a normally calm lake, that rarely see boats, could put off the fish for a bit if one went over them.

Nice fish too!

I had an interesting experience with boats this past season that really surprised me. A friend and I were fishing a popular urban river here in New England that hardly sees any motor boat activity. A few kayaks now and then but rarely a motor. Long story short....

The local Fire Dept, was conducting training this summer evening and every 15 mins or so , they were quickly buzzing right through the middle of the river directly over our baits with a small 14ft. V-Hull. The river is not big (wide or deep) by any means and we could see and smell the bottom of the river churning up every time they came by. The funny part was that we caught 3 fish that evening and all were runs that happened within one minute of the boat going over the baits. This happened 3 times in a row. If I was not there to witness this , I would not have believed it. It was to the point that we were waiting / wanting the boat to go by so we could get more runs..

Full Disclosure: My friend Tom had all 3 runs and all 3 catches. My rods were silent. We were fishing side by side and using the same bait.