Carp Anglers Group Forums
ultralight carper

East TN Spring Fish-In

I am pretty stoked after the FFF.

Anyone up for a Spring east TN fish in?

My FFF spot on Boone has is room for 15-20 anglers and is about 2 miles from my house. Most fish are between 2 and 14 lbs - but I have banked a few this fall up towards 20. Depending upon the conditions and how much I pre-bait there is the potential for a lot of fish. My sister and I banked over 40 in 19 hours during the FFF.

Alternatively, Kinston? Anyone fish there lately? I have not been there since the big ash spill.

Another alternative is Volunteer Landing in Knoxville - it is a smaller venue (maybe 6-8 anglers) but has real bathrooms and a barbecue joint 50 feet away! Nothing like barbecue ribs and carp fishin'!

If you are interested or have alternate venue suggestions, PM me!

Rob

I would be very interested! I'll probably bring my brother too. I've never been to any of the venues you listed but they're all within driving range for me. I'll definitely be checking this thread often!

I have been to Kingston- that was my first official carp outing, courtesy of Willem. Never fished those other places but would be open to fishing them. I stopped a while back and found some good places below Tellico Dam. Look at Google Earth for a bird's eye view. I can also send some photos of the area.

No idea what FFF is but, while I would say the chances of me attending are not high, IF the timing suits then I certainly would consider coming. Obviously it is a bit of a haul up from Atlanta, but I am keen to fish more often with CAG members.

Rob, I am interested in your "ultralight carper" name...mainly because people snicker at the size hooks I use and the strength line. Unless I am in a snaggy place then I am typically using size 10 or 12 hooks and 6-8lb line. Hauling a fish out on rope holds no appeal to me!

Tony

No idea what FFF is but, while I would say the chances of me attending are not high, IF the timing suits then I certainly would consider coming. Obviously it is a bit of a haul up from Atlanta, but I am keen to fish more often with CAG members.

Rob, I am interested in your "ultralight carper" name...mainly because people snicker at the size hooks I use and the strength line. Unless I am in a snaggy place then I am typically using size 10 or 12 hooks and 6-8lb line. Hauling a fish out on rope holds no appeal to me!

Tony

FFF is first fishing follies (or first fishing folly) - i suggest giving it a try next year, it is a blast! See CAG events for more details.

My favorite carping setup is a 9 foot UL steelhead rod, 4-6 lb test line and freelining floating bread (or mulberries if I can find a tree overhanging the water) for clooping carp. Good times indeed! :) Great stalking set up if you don't have too many overhanging trees. Don't get to use it as much as I would like where I live because of rocks, etc.

Rob

Rob

Rob, you could use a dyed deer hair fly for the mulberry. Fly fishing guru Dave Whitlock designed the fly and catches lots of carp with one under the mulberry trees.

Have seen similar flies but not had the chance to try them. Most my few flyrod carp have been on bread flies:). Unfortunately, I have not found too many mulberry trees around here. Lots of them in Oklahoma but I rarely get home during the right time of year.

I have a place where carp hang out. I'm looking at fishing a dry fly of some sort under some overhanging trees at one spot. Insects could be a factor in their diet. I have also seem them clopping on the surface in other places but rarely. The bottom is mud and silt so I think that they are mainly rooting for critters on the bottom.

ULC, you have given me an idea!  I have a two piece 9 ft. fly rod blank for a 5 weight line.  I must might try to build a rod like you describe.  I would like to send a PM if OK and get the spacing of the guides and reel seat- I'll give instructions on how to do this if you haven't done it before. I do need another rod as there are open spaces in my two rod racks.  Not all the rods are mine, though.

Have you had a chance to look at the Fort Loudon Dam area below the dam?  I think it is called Lenoir City Park, City Park Drive to search Google Earth.  Long sidewalk with steps and ramp to the water, restrooms and big parking lot.  Plus there are steps down to the water at summer pool.  Right now there are several feet of gravel at the water's edge.  The location would be central for east TN.  Might even pull in some from KY or GA.

Look forward to meeting you and enjoying some bank time with other carpers.