Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

RedRiverJay

Bubble float "fly fishing"

In the early 1970's, I worked a couple summers in the Black Hills of South Dakota.  I had reasonably good luck catching rainbow trout in small lakes and using a cheap Zebco rod and reel, a bubble float a little less than half-filled with water, about a 2' leader, and a fly.  You can cast a long distance, and slowly bring the fly back to you, floating the fly on the surface. 

I was just curious if that might be an alternative to conventional fly fishing technique for carp.  Has anyone tried it?

The bubble floats I used were clear, and if you search for Rainbow bubble float, you'll see pictures.

Jay

I've never fished with the clear float but I don't see why it wouldn't work.  You would probably have to cast waaay in front of the carp to keep from spooking it.

Yeah, I found it worked to cast way past where I thought the trout would be, and then reel the fly into and through the area I was interested in.  You can cast a long ways, because these bobbers are pretty heavy when half-filled with water.  

It may work.  but fly fishers rely on the weight of the fly line to cast their flies. fly fishers cast flies to carp that are in the process of feeding.  if carp are not in the process of feeding, we move on to carp that are feeding.  carp take many of the same flies that trout take; so a fly placed near a feeding carp is liable to be taken.  

Bill de Brooklyn

"The Great Lakes of NYC"

I use them all the time for trout. The ones that you can fill with water cast a mile on a light rod. No reason they wouldn't work for carp.