Carp Anglers Group Forums
Mike Pike

LLLLLLET'S GET READY TO CARP FIIIIIIIIISH!!!!

Well it can't be long now.  The forecast is calling for 2 weeks of well above seasonal normal temperatures.  Even our overnight lows won't be heading below zero, so happy days.

Rivers and lakes in Southern Ontario will be void of ice cover shortly, as many all ready are, and the carp are surely starting to stir.

Good luck to those who will be doing a little early scouting!

PS.. Mostly just wanted to run an early test of the message board.  It's still showing a lot of posts with no replies and many other posts can't be accessed.  So I wanted to see if the new posts will appear. 

I've been skunked 3 times this winter and really need to get my net wet :-). Ice out shouldn't be far..in minnesota as well.

Wow, must be nice to have a winter carp spot even as far north as Minnesota!   I know the carp's metabolism slows when the temps get cold and getting them to bite is tougher, but it's still nice to get out and be able to give it a try.   

I fish a warm water discharge from a nuclear plant. It's funny to see bass fishermen in waders standing in chest deep water when it's 5 degrees outside, but the water is over 75 degrees there. The problem is, that stretch of river is absolutely full of boats and bass fishermen and it makes catching carp very difficult since there is so much disturbance. I did see a couple of 20+ pigs caught there a few weeks ago but  they were snagged. My bite alarms stayed silent though :-(

Unfortunately, we can't get close to our nuke plant discharges from shore.  Fortunately, we have the Niagara River close by which doesn't freeze over so we can fish throughout the winter, albeit for less desirable species like trout.  lol

After the 65 deg day yesterday I'm pretty sure my lake is opened up enough to fish by the weekend. Crashing at the cabin after work tonite I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Aniq you got waders?

Just checked with the google gods and some scientist claims that carp feeding patterns are the same from 4 - 34 degrees Celsius.... we'll be there before months end.   Long range forecast for spring is warm and dry,  sounds like heaven is just around the corner....:D 

That would explain how a fellow I know catches carp throughout winter on the harbour, as long as there isn't ice cover at his spot.  I was pretty surprised and told him I thought that was impossible, but he assured me he was able too.     

I don't do waders. I just jump into lakes ..haha

On 3/8/2016 at 3:28 PM, Mike Pike said:

That would explain how a fellow I know catches carp throughout winter on the harbour, as long as there isn't ice cover at his spot.  I was pretty surprised and told him I thought that was impossible, but he assured me he was able too.     

Looking forward to an easy going spring. CCIW can be very productive when we get one. I have caught carp at Lasalle as late as Dec. 24. Looking foward to seeing you out there Mike.

Yup, we'll run into each other soon enough, Lorne!  I've been tying hook links, filling PVA bags, wiping down rods, re-organizing tackle, ANYthing to get me through the 'hibernation.'

lol  

I took a walk around the CCIW a couple of weeks ago and found there was only ice around the edges so hopefully this will be one of those productive springs out there.  

Cheers!