Carp Anglers Group Forums
cypry

CAG Ohio fish in. East Harbor State Park, Lake Erie, April 15-17

Well, with the awesome social out of the way, it's time for some fishing... Since 2001 Ohio carp anglers have traditionally kicked off the season, in April, at East Harbor State Park, https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&q=East+Harbor+State+Park&fb=1&gl=us&hq=east+harbor+state+park&cid=1767430957668467708&ei=KPUdU4quG8e0qgHI_ICYCw&ved=0CKoBEPwSMAo   and this year will be no exception. We're going a bit earlier than normal this year due to Easter and the Saginaw Midwest Regional. But...it's been fished this early before with good result. East Harbor is a small, shallow inlet off of the southern shore of Lake Erie.

Camping is available in the park, however, there is no camping on the bank, open faced shelters are allowed. The park ranger often patrols at night and as long as you're awake while bankside they don't have any issues.

A restroom is available in the area as well as a covered picnic area. Hotels and restaurants are available within close driving distance to the venue but most of us just get a campsite which is within easy walking distance of the bank. Campsites generally run about $22 a night.

One problem with East Harbor, as with any west side Lake Erie venue, is that if you have strong westerly winds it can empty out. Great for viewing the venue, not so great for fishing soooooo....1 week prior to the event a "best guess" weather decision will be made and an alternate location selected and announced here.

Lot's of fish are normally caught, the stamp of the average fish is small, less than 10 lbs, as the hornier little guys show up in the spawning grounds the earliest LOL. There have been some nice 20's caught though and with it being a part of Lake Erie you just never know what you might hook. We are usually checking the weather to make sure the ice has cleared but with us having a mild winter, we have no such concerns. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the fish haven't starting entering the harbor already.

East Harbor.jpg

Edited by cypry

Looking forward to it.  Thought about going up this weekend to scout it out and pre fish it, but with the west winds today, forget it.  LOL.  Will be full of cold water tomorrow. 

On 3/17/2016 at 4:30 PM, Bold2013 said:

Or dry...

Once the wind shifts, it will fill back up with cold water.

Sounds good Mike.

At the last count we have around 12 anglers coming out. Weather is going to be reasonably good, should be a great weekend! 

Well another amazing CAG Ohio fish in is over and it was a weekend of firsts. We had over 15 anglers come out, which is fantastic and everyone had a great time. The weather was nice, blue skies with a cool east wind which had raised the levels in the harbor by almost a foot. The water was still pretty cold which we were hoping would keep the small males away for the time being.

Vince and Shaun were the first to arrive on Friday morning and by the time I had arrived, Vince had managed a couple of upper doubles, a good sign. Phil D also chipped in with a similar sized fish of his own. Anglers continued to arrive throughout the evening and as it got dark hopes were high of some big fish. Thing looked promising as Vince landed a 23.15. As we were about to photograph it his other rod took off and he had a 23.12 on the mat as well. The first CAG Ohio fishin 20+ double up. After that excitement things slowed down considerably as the cold east wind picked up.

The next day looked promising as warmer temps and blue skies had us hopeful of some good fishing. There was a bass tourney going on in the harbor which meant we had over a dozen boats doing a constant loop over our baits with endless casting. It was an exceptionally slow day. Christian went off to do a little stalking in the reeds and managed to catch a small one, he also noted he saw a massive carp feeding in the silt, he just couldn't get it to take. Alex had a take on his rod and another first happened when he landed a 20+ grass carp. As night started to fall and the bass boats started to disappear we once again became optimistic for the night ahead. We were all gathered in Vince's swim looking back towards where Christian had been stalking. We started to see the odd fish roll. Over time the activity became more frequent. A single bleep had us moving over to where Shawn and Christian were fishing. A few more bleeps on Shawns Rod and he struck. There was a massive boil as a fish got hooked. At the same time Christian's rod did the same thing. Both fish were landed simultaneously. Vince netted Shawn's fish and straight away said "upper 20" a few seconds later he said "maybe 30" as we lifted it onto the mat the estimates were getting bigger until finally up on the scales it reached a lofty 40lb 6oz. The biggest fish caught at an Ohio fish in by a mile and a new Pb for Shawn whose previous best was 18lb. 

A few smaller fish finished out the weekend for everyone else as the horny males started to make an appearance but this weekend really summed up what CAG is all about. A group of anglers coming together to have fun, catch fish and socialize. Big thanks to Larry Kinsler who kept everyone very well fed throughout the weekend, well appreciated. 

i apologize if I missed anyone but we had in attendance...

myself Craig W

Vince S

Shaun W and family

Alex C and Kaitlyn

Christian W

Larry K

Phil D and his grandson

Shawn S and Family

Bill S and Family

Mike F

Dick L

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by cypry

Great write up Craig. The photo from your camera really shows off the sheer thickness of that fish. I hope this entices other anglers from Ohio to make the journey up to the lake next year or even throughout the year. The state record will fall at Lake Erie!

33 minutes ago, Vinsanity said:

Great write up Craig. The photo from your camera really shows off the sheer thickness of that fish. I hope this entices other anglers from Ohio to make the journey up to the lake next year or even throughout the year. The state record will fall at Lake Erie!

Thanks Vince. I hope to get up there a few more times this year. We also have a one day event scheduled later in the year in Sandusky. It was so good to see a new member come out to our event and land that monster, really shows the potential up there.

Looks like you guys had a blast!

Due to a malfunctioning scale it took a while to figure a weight on my big fish.It turn out to be 23pounds a new personal best.

005.JPG

57 minutes ago, fieldzee said:

Due to a malfunctioning scale it took a while to figure a weight on my big fish.It turn out to be 23pounds a new personal best.

005.JPG

Awesome looking fish Mike, congrats on the pb!

39 minutes ago, Brian Pearcy said:

How far from Toledo is that spot?

About an hour Brian.

Well done Mike! While not a ton of fish were caught this year, I think the cold water helped to keep all the small males out. Hopefully next year can be just as productive!

2 hours ago, fieldzee said:

005.JPG

looks like a great time two 20s is bad asr that 40 though:o

Had a great time again this year.  Thanks to Craig for hosting the event.  BIG THANK YOU to Larry Kinsler for cooking up some great food for us over the weekend.  Looking forward to next year!