Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

9 MAR 16-1627:  Hooked & landed my first carp for 2016 on a local creek.  Several carp were mudding.  I cast a blood red San Juan worm ahead of a shadow I saw moving, and was rewarded with a good hookset.  

IMG_20160309_162648163.jpg

WTG!  Carp on the skinny stick is one thing I want to try this year.  Have to wait until the local lakes are up to summer pool, around the last of April.  Have a spot already picked out.

Cannonball, have to warn you, once you hook/land one, you may not want to fish anything else with a flyrod.  It'll definitely test your fishing skills; knots, casting, presentation, fighting, and landing.  What's your forage base there?  Good luck to you.

Forage could be just about anything.  Insect larvae, crawfish, minnows, terrestrial insects, tree fruit, to name a few.  I have a place where it is easy to use a fly rod.  I plan on watching the fish to see if they are feeding or just cruising.  This gives me an excuse to keep old bread.  Throw out some bread and follow it up with a fly made of white carpet yarn.  Stuff floats like a cork.  Makes good wings and parachute flies, too.  I saw a recipe for a bread fly- white foam and brown foam for the crust.  May need search for the recipe.

rwar1423, looking forward to hooking up with a carp!

In the creek we fish, during spring, carp love & will chase down aquatic worm patterns, like a San Juan worm.  Mine are nothing fancy; lead wound to the bend & the vernille tied right on top.  Doesn't look pretty, but the carp don't mind.  I've see them break off their feeding station to chase the worm down.  Colors that work are different shades of red, especially bubble-gum pink & fl fucshia.  Go figure.  In summer, I have to size down to #12's & smaller.  The flies have to be drab colors; tans, olives, etc, with just a hint of flash.  Midges, nymphs, and aquatic worm patterns will work.  During fall, the SJW still works, but I've had more success with egg patterns, especially peach, cream colors.  Is your homewater moving or stillwater?  I saw a youtube video of a bread fly made out of foam.  Might have to give it a try.  Take care.

Will try the SJW or a crawfish pattern and see what happens.  Thanks for the info.

rwar1423, where I have in mind is still water, a backwater off the main river.  AS mentioned, I plan on using carpet yarn for a fly.  There are some overhanging trees that might be a feeding spot, carp looking for insects falling off the trees.  I'm saving bread to chum a bit to get them feeding on the surface.  Then I'll plop the fly in front of them.

Cannonball, if the bread fly doesn't work, try a terrestrial pattern.

Right!  There is grass right down to the water's edge so terrestrials would be a natural (no pun intended).  Plus whatever falls off the trees would be fair game for the carp.  Can hardly wait until the lakes are at full summer pool in about three weeks.

Hopefully the banks of your homewater/s aren't as steep as here.  Sometimes we have to slide down, to net the carp.  After hooking, you walk the carp to a location you can safely get down to the bank.  We're waiting for the creek to clear, so my fishing partner & I went to Lincoln, NE to check out a city lake near Memorial Stadium.  It was windy, but we saw tailing carp.  The best way to cast was to flip your fly like bass fisherman flip jigs; basically a modified drag & drop.  The carp were smaller, possibly due to winterkill.  I was able to land 2, and my fishing partner 3.  I caught mine on a green midge & brown carp crab pattern.URL]

URL]URL]

nice fish i have to try and get one on the fly soon

The bank depends where you are fishing.  One favorite spot has the water just about a foot below the water's edge.  Easy to net.  There are other places that are listed by the state agency as bank fishing places but they are the pits, at least, the ones I have seen.  I envy the guys that have the sidewalks, railings, close parking for their venues.

Sidewalks or bike trails are nice.  We wear close to knee high rubber boots, because it can get muddy.