Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

possum

West Virginia Carpin: Dunkel & Possum

Yesterday I met up with Doug "Dunkel" and we did a little carp fishin on the South Branch of the Pot-O-Mac River. It was a bluebird day not a cloud in the sky. The water was gin clear and we set up with using a blend of American and Euro equipment but used American baits and pick ups.

We ended up banking 12 carp, lost 2 to hook pulls. Doug caught his first ever Mirror Carp which are rare here and his second biggest carp ever a 24lb. common. Heres the pics of our better carp and our day! We had a blast!

004.JPG

017.JPG

019.JPG

040.JPG

041.JPG

043.JPG

015.JPG

047.JPG

050.JPG

051.JPG

060.JPG

062.JPG

066.JPG

055.JPG

073.JPG

very nice fish!

Nice session, and a very pretty mirror!  Congrats.

I miss fishing the Potomac.  I did a lot of carpin there nearly 50 years ago  from the MD side, both near Sharpsburg and across from Harpers Ferry.  Never fished the South Branch, though -- and never caught a mirror there.  BTW, where does it meet the (main) Potomac?

12 hours ago, needmotime2fish said:

Nice session, and a very pretty mirror!  Congrats.

I miss fishing the Potomac.  I did a lot of carpin there nearly 50 years ago  from the MD side, both near Sharpsburg and across from Harpers Ferry.  Never fished the South Branch, though -- and never caught a mirror there.  BTW, where does it meet the (main) Potomac?

The South Branch of the Potomac and the North Branch of the Potomac come together near Green Spring WV from then on its just

the Potomac River.

It was a great day indeed. It was good to catch up with Possum and catch a few nice fish to boot. First ever mirror was a real treat.

6 hours ago, possum said:

The South Branch of the Potomac and the North Branch of the Potomac come together near Green Spring WV from then on its just

the Potomac River.

Thanks.  I see you guys were a LONG way upriver from where I used to fish.  Mapquest says it's 1-1/2 hours or longer.  If you can catch nice fish like those near by (where you were fishing), there's no need to drive 80+ miles to fish other spots downriver.   :)

Again -- congrats on a nice day and a pretty mirror.

This is a good spot me and Mush did a discovery story there several years ago. Finally getting back to that location.

Just up river of there a 44lb. carp was caught and released, weighed on a certified scale by a feller me and Mush met. We see at times carp in there that will go 30-40lbs. catching them well we try!  Mid 20's are the biggest we've got so far but we know they are in there.

Should we ever have a WV Fish In we would go to this spot since theres over 2000ft of shoreline that's all fishable.

Dougs Mirror was the treat of the day, I'm not sure who was happiest he caught a Pot-O-Mac Mirror, it was definitely a good day!

Those fish are all beautiful. Fantastic!

West Virginia Carper here...

Never fished the Potomac for carp...was usually going for trout or smallies there.

I fish the Kanawha a lot (since I live in Charleston).  Have not really caught any monsters there, but it's a good river and you can get a lot of 10-15 pounders out of it.

The best carp water I have found is Coal River at Tornado, WV.  I got my PB there just above the upper falls.  30 pounder.   Coal is a hard river to bank fish from...it doesn't have a lot of access points.  There is Big Coal and Little Coal and they come together at Alum Creek, WV to form the Coal.  The falls is a great place to fish for smallies, but above the falls is where the big carp hang out....I have seen them that were absolutely huge...but could not get them to bite.

I have been fishing Ridenour lake down in Nitro alot.  There are some whoppers in there but they are pretty finicky.  Ridenour gets a LOT of pressure cause it is in the middle of town.  I pulled a 26 pound mirror out of it though.

Good story and great fish!  Congratulations to you guys.  That is an impressive mirror.  I think you will take time to catch the big ones next.  Good luck!