Carp Anglers Group Forums
DirtyFish

Is there a secret bait additive for paylakes

Not wanting any secrets, but just wondering if there is something that fishermen use to consistently catch big fish.  For the life of me I can't believe they are just putting some r&w flavoring and cream corn in oats or whatever bait they are using and consistently catching big fish or just catching fish when no one else can catch anything.  I can't believe they are that lucky at guessing which flavor of the day is working.  Any ideas??

there is a post in the member section only i think. 

everyone states what they caught their biggest fish with. you'll be surprised from cherry's potatoes corn boilies all different. if it was up to me if the big fish are in the area you have a chance. 

From what I have heard, secret baits are secret.  Depends on where you are fishing, I guess.  There was an article in the NACA magazine about paylake fishing.  What works at one won't be effective at another.  Sort of like fishing wild fish in rivers or lakes.

16 hours ago, DirtyFish said:

Not wanting any secrets, but just wondering if there is something that fishermen use to consistently catch big fish.  For the life of me I can't believe they are just putting some r&w flavoring and cream corn in oats or whatever bait they are using and consistently catching big fish or just catching fish when no one else can catch anything.  I can't believe they are that lucky at guessing which flavor of the day is working.  Any ideas??

I primarily fish for wild carp, but I've fished a few paylakes as well (not in tournaments).  When I talk to the paylake "regulars" and they realize that I won't be competing for their tournament $$$, some of them will open up to me and share a few of their "secrets".

Over the years I've found that at most paylakes, the carp "get on" a particular type of bait or flavor for a while, and after a time, will switch to a different combination.  For example, last week and this week, they are biting rice pack flavored with strawberry, and next week, everybody will be catching on VBN millet (VBN = vanilla butternut). Quite often, you might have the "right" flavor, and be catching a few fish, but someone else is absolutely slaying them with what seems to be the same thing you are using.  What you don't know is that the other guy has added a bit of "something else" to his bait (maybe some black walnut, or some anise flavor, for example), OR he is dipping his bait in some additive before casting (mustard, chocolate syrup, etc.) -- just a little something to set his bait apart without getting completely away from the main "hot flavor" of the week).  The only way to keep up with the latest "hot" bait is to fish the lake regularly -- or to have a friend keep up with that info for you.  In addition to packbaits, the fish in some lakes will occasionally change their preference for pickups.  One week it will be puffs, another week they want fake corn, and the next time it will be half of a cigarette filter (yes, I know such a lake). I also know one lake where the carp usually prefer a red-colored pickup over other colors.

WHY this happens, I don't know.  But I do know that if you are fishing with last week's packbait or the "wrong" pickup, you won't be catching nearly as many carp as an angler who does have the right combination.  And it also seems that paylake fish are usually less forgiving than wild carp.  All I can suggest is keep trying, and keep asking questions.  IF you can find some guys who will open up a bit and part with a secret or two, keep track of everything you hear, and try it all.  Eventually you'll build up your own knowledge base and branch out and try "your own thing".   Good luck!

Sorry i didnt read the paylake part

Well needmotime2fish summed it up very well. I will add that any information you discover for yourself will be 10x sweeter. It doesn't feel the same when it is spoon fed to you. Almost like you are on a guided trip. Guided fish mean much less then fish you figured out by yourself. Tight lines!

Yes!   But that's all you'll get out of me.... :lol: