Carp Anglers Group Forums
RedRiverJay

Corn-cicles....

I have had really good luck catching carp with what I call "corn-cicles"...sort-of popcicles made with corn.  I take a hook (with leader), and put a few kernels of canned sweet corn on it.  Then, I put a teaspoon of canned sweet corn in a 30 mL (one ounce) plastic cup (one could use a unit of an ice cube tray).  I lay the baited hook on top of the corn in the cup, and then pour  about a teaspoon of the juice from the canned corn to cover everything.  Then, I freeze the unit.  I cast the frozen corn-cicle about 20 feet upstream from some logs in my local river, with enough weight to keep the unit on the bottom.  It never fails to hook a fish within 10 minutes.  Usually carp, but sometimes a channel cat.  I make up six corn-cicles at a time, and seldom come home with less than 3 fish. 

For the record, I'm not a strict C/R fisherman.  Anything less than 24 inches (carp or channel cat), I keep and eat, or put up for winter.  Anything longer than 24 inches, I release. 

I just use an old insulated lunch box, and a frozen "blue ice" block as a tackle box.  I never go fishing for very long, maybe an hour at a time, and the river is only about a block from my place.  I take about six corn-cicles and that's enough of an outing for me.  But yeah, keeping them frozen for a day-long trip would be a challenge.

My current recipe:  a hook baited with canned sweet corn, in a 30 mL cup with about another teaspoon of corn on top of it, and filled to the top of the corn with a mixture of the juice from the sweet corn can and some beet molasses that I get from a local factory.  Both carp and channel cats hit on it pretty well.

Great idea!, but can you clarify/show a picture?- is it a frozen 30cc of lake-water with the baited hook on top with the teaspoon of corn/corn juice and frozen again?, or just the corn, hook, corn juice- about the size of a standard ice cube then? I'm thinking this is a water "pop-up"-how much weight are you using?- is it a "bolt-type rig"?/hair rig, what water temps are you usually fishing, at about what depth are you going?- if its in a river, and you are catching fish in 10 minutes, it must melt pretty quickly?....Do you think the carp are mouthing the ice ball and hooking as it melts, or you have a slow falling "chum" as it melts/hooks carp?- cool, cool idea (no pun intended)- sorry for so many questions!!.............thanks!