Carp Anglers Group Forums
Mike Pike

Oh the shame of it all...

My status has been reduce to "Just Warming Up" and I'm being credited with only 19 posts.  Is this due to recent site upgrades?  

I feel shame.  lol

Shame!  Shame!

Yeah I think some was lost in the upgrades, how much I do not know.  But I think I lost some, how much I do not know myself. 

However I suspect I lost about 3000 possibly.  Just one of those things

Not just post counts were lost but hundreds if not thousands of actual posts and all the info and tips they contained were lost. By an unnecessary and unneeded forum upgrade that the membership didn't ask for or approve of.

1 hour ago, ctdaniels37 said:

Not just post counts were lost but hundreds if not thousands of actual posts and all the info and tips they contained were lost. By an unnecessary and unneeded forum upgrade that the membership didn't ask for or approve of.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about!! Willem explained that we DID NOT HAVE A CHOICE with the upgrade. It was not unnecessary and voting would not have made a change to the fact it had to be done. I'm sure he would have preferred to have kept it as was, instead of the upgrade which took days, maybe even weeks to complete!! It's great to see how supportive you are of the volunteers. Thanks to Willem we kept as much data as was possible.

Baloney, I've been thru the upgrading of some of the forums I am in before some 2 or 3 times and never was the forums screwed up like ours was. The loss of years of data, is inexcusable. Some of the members who contributed that stuff are either dead or have moved on because of all the BS. All that knowledge is GONE.

Perhaps you should have spent some of that money we all paid to be a member to have a professional do the upgrade/changes.

Sorry but you and whoever else was involved will get no thanks from me for doing a piss poor job of it.

I was not involved as I do not have the expertise necessary in the area. Once again, it's amazing why some of our volunteers stick around when they receive comments like yours! 

Just because someone volunteers they shouldn't not be held accountable for a piss poor job.

Perhaps the membership, you know the people who pay to be members should vote on which things volunteers can handle and on which things should be done by paid professionals???

You know like screwing up the forums. Trust me in the end that's gonna cost you way more in lost membership fees than paying to have it done right.

I started this topic as a bit of fun, noticing that my status had changed.  No big deal.  Just an observation.

The frustration that has been expressed, though, by some members I understand.  And I must admit, I've been frustrated myself.

The site has been down for many weeks and even now that it's up, there are still glitches.  The delete feature is still doesn't work, not to mention all the lost posts.

First, I want to strongly state that I hold no volunteers responsible!  I understand these sites are only possible through their contributions and for that I am thankful.  Anyone who has volunteered their time to make this carp fishing forum as great a site as it is has done FAR more than I ever have! 

I am a member of other forums, however, where there is no paid membership and these sites have never been down for maintenance as long as our site here has.  These other sites are usually back up and running at 100% within a few days at most.

Now, I don't know about other members, and I don't want to speak on their behalf, but the reason I am a CAG member is because of this forum.  There are A LOT of other benefits to CAG, but this message board is the MAIN one for me. 

My suggestion is to refocus and reprioritize resources to this site.  I certainly don't know what monetary or manpower resources are available, but I would suggest that Carp Anglers Group Forums becomes a priority so it functions at 100% again as quickly as possible.

Cheers!

Do I like the idea of losing more than 1000 of my own posts, or, much more importantly, thousands of posts by former members that contained invaluable information? Certainly not -- of course.  Do I agree that the data loss might have harmed CAG as an organization (and probably did)?  Again, I agree.  However...

I retired several years ago after a 35+ year career in IT.  Although my experience was not in database design or maintenance, I worked closely enough with our database administrators in those years that I know that data loss is not always because of poor design or human error.  It is also a fact that sometimes there is no choice other than to perform some action that you'd prefer not to do at all (such as an upgrade).

Fortunately I was not involved in the decision to do this upgrade, nor in the steps taken as part of the upgrade, so I don't claim to know any of the details.  My comments that follow are based only on my general experience as a programmer, a systems analyst, and a systems administrator.

Based on that IT knowledge and experience, I feel it is necessary to defend our officers.  In my working career, we were forced to perform numerous upgrades because of circumstances completely beyond our control.  Hardware wears out.  New hardware often (usually) requires an operating system upgrade.  New operating systems often (usually) are not compatible with existing older databases.  Sometimes the company that is hosting your system and/or database just decides to cease its operations (go out of business) -- which would require switching to a new company with different hardware, operating system, and/or database -- which, if you have an older system, there's a very good chance that the new environment will NOT support it. 

When some or all of these events occur (and I'm not saying they did), there is virtually NO chance to avoid doing an upgrade. And if the company hosting the old system and database is not able to furnish backups that are 100% compatible with the new environment, some data loss is certain to occur, and often that loss can be significant.  When it happens, NOBODY is happy, but "it happens".

I'm not saying that any or all of these events actually occurred here -- I don't know.  But I've personally witnessed several similar situations in companies where I worked, so I'm putting in my 2-cents here in defense of the CAG officers who made the unenviable decision to do the upgrade, and those who actually performed it.  If they tell us "there was no choice", I can believe them, based on 35 years of experience.

I met Willem over two years ago.  He invited me to fish with him at Kingston, TN.  I cannot say how helpful he was to a newbie starting to fish for the world's greatest sportfish.  In talking with him I also learned that his work position takes a lot of his time also.  To work and get the forum changed over was a lot of work and stress on his part.  Willem, thanks two bunches!

So I'm a nice guy I volunteered to host a fish in. I fed everyone BBQ. They all get food poisoning and die.

But hey I'm a nice guy and I volunteered so I'm not really responsible for it right???

Makes me wonder how CAG members used to get along with each other before the forum/everyone having internet access. Can't please everyone.

Thanks willem! On a side note there hasn't been any posts that I've looked for that I haven't found. 

Edited by Zatesta

After all I'm finding posts back to March 2003 in several different sections. 

image.png

On 6/2/2016 at 7:44 PM, needmotime2fish said:

Do I like the idea of losing more than 1000 of my own posts, or, much more importantly, thousands of posts by former members that contained invaluable information? Certainly not -- of course.  Do I agree that the data loss might have harmed CAG as an organization (and probably did)?  Again, I agree.  However...

I retired several years ago after a 35+ year career in IT.  Although my experience was not in database design or maintenance, I worked closely enough with our database administrators in those years that I know that data loss is not always because of poor design or human error.  It is also a fact that sometimes there is no choice other than to perform some action that you'd prefer not to do at all (such as an upgrade).

Fortunately I was not involved in the decision to do this upgrade, nor in the steps taken as part of the upgrade, so I don't claim to know any of the details.  My comments that follow are based only on my general experience as a programmer, a systems analyst, and a systems administrator.

Based on that IT knowledge and experience, I feel it is necessary to defend our officers.  In my working career, we were forced to perform numerous upgrades because of circumstances completely beyond our control.  Hardware wears out.  New hardware often (usually) requires an operating system upgrade.  New operating systems often (usually) are not compatible with existing older databases.  Sometimes the company that is hosting your system and/or database just decides to cease its operations (go out of business) -- which would require switching to a new company with different hardware, operating system, and/or database -- which, if you have an older system, there's a very good chance that the new environment will NOT support it. 

When some or all of these events occur (and I'm not saying they did), there is virtually NO chance to avoid doing an upgrade. And if the company hosting the old system and database is not able to furnish backups that are 100% compatible with the new environment, some data loss is certain to occur, and often that loss can be significant.  When it happens, NOBODY is happy, but "it happens".

I'm not saying that any or all of these events actually occurred here -- I don't know.  But I've personally witnessed several similar situations in companies where I worked, so I'm putting in my 2-cents here in defense of the CAG officers who made the unenviable decision to do the upgrade, and those who actually performed it.  If they tell us "there was no choice", I can believe them, based on 35 years of experience.

Having worked, and am still working in IT for over 30 years, ^^^ Well Said !!! ^^^