Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Hi all. Recent CAG member and newbie to Euro style carp angling (though I have fished for carp all my life, but now trying to go full Euro).  Had a recent very frustrating river fishing outing I was hoping you good folks could assist me with. Fishing the Potomac River. Saw lots of nice carp jumping but way far away from my swim,   across the river about 40 to 50 yard ( I estimate) or more. So at least knowing fish were present, I baited up and cast and spombed a good bit, hoping to draw some fish to my swim. It never happened, and I fished 7 hours catching but 1 small catfish!

Here’s my frustration. I know with my present set up I could never reach were I saw those fish (an inaccessible from shore spot on an island). I have standard bait-runner reels using regular 7’ and 7’6” medium heavy spinning rods (I got maybe 20-25 yard casts max). If I got 12’ 3TC rods and Big Pit reels, could I expect to be able to cast that distance?

Second, I was plagued all day long by piles of debris (mainly floating weeds in the moderate current) catching on my line, causing a huge bow until I learned to tighten my bait runner drag a pretty good bit, but still ended up with tons of debris (heavy!) and bows, and maybe my lead being dragged (no way to know for sure). I re-baited and re-cast often due to this. To minimize this (I doubt it can be completely cured) would I:

-Use a heavier lead (a gripper type), keep my line as tight as possible, and keep my rod as high as I can in my bank sticks (or maybe use a pod like the Cygnet Grand Sniper D/L), while still keeping good contact with my bite alarms? Or is there some other strategies I should be employing?

BTW I was using cured sweet corn as bait, with an oatmeal, grits and sweet corn pack on 1.75 oz. method and 2.5 oz. square in-line leads, both on bolt rigs, 1 rod with braid and the other mono.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but would really appreciate any help. Many thanks! BTW I love reading the forum and am learning a lot!

First thing is you definitely need the 12 foot rods for the river and be able to make longer casts. As for the floating weeds we have the same problem here in the Raritan. We try to fish the last two hours and the first two hours of the next tide before the current gets too strong.

Thanks Brooklyn, Certainly makes sense. Hadn't made the investment yet in longer rods but looking at the Fox Warror S rods. This section of the river is not tidal so hopefully a longer rod set up high on my bank sticks or a pod will help, plus maybe I can get closer to those nice ones I saw jumping all morning!

+1 on the longer rods, 40-50 yards easily attainable with a 12 footer and big pit reel.

I fish a river with moderate flow and periodically lots of moss throughout the entire water column.  A backlead will keep the line out of the water column.  I use the fox captive backlead (no affiliation with the company) Very helpful piece of kit for river fishing once you get comfortable with using them.  Keeping the rod tips high are helpful too.

Thanks streeker02, Definitely looking into a set of 12 footers and some big pit reels so I can reach those good ones I saw jumping! I was thinking maybe a backlead was the thing to look into but am not familiar with the concept. I see they have those at Big Carp Tackle. I guess it's like having 2 leads, one at your hook link as normal, and then a back lead below your rod tip to keep the line on the bottom under the debris. I'm going to research further but it appears this might be a possible solution. Thanks for the info!

BB,

A backlead, simply put is a lead that you attach to your line (slide on) after casting.  The lead remains close in front of you. Therefore pulling the line down close to the bottom.  You could also try keeping your rod tips down, very close to water level.  This helps with surface weed more than thick stuff.  Good Luck

Thanks Todd! This might be the best route since there is much floating weed snagging my line. Wondering, since the line would lay along the bottom between the 2 leads with a back lead, would fluorocarbon main line be best since it sinks? I prefer braid and mono, but if I have to use fluoro I will. Thanks again for your help.

Honestly, I could not tell you what's " Best" as I have never used fluoro.  I, like you, use braid and mono. But  If you like to experiment, give it a shot and let us know what you find out.   Good luck. 

Welcome to forum, Fluorocarbon is very difficult stuff to use as mainline, Spiderwire Fluorobraid (sinking braid) is great for river carping ... On sale @ Walmart 

Good luck ✌️

image.png

Thanks Moon! That looks like the ticket. Yes I really don't like fluoro, but use it for bass fishing when necessary, but avoid it whenever I can so this looks like a good line to try. Really appreciate all the help for everyone on the forum! Once I get these suggestions incorporated I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Somewhat of a newbie myself but if you are only getting 20-25 yds something is wrong. I can cast 3/8 oz bass lures farther than that with similar gear and baitcasting reels. Longer rods usually do equal longer casts. I didn't want to go all in when getting started so I purchased Ugly Stick salmon rods, 9' MH. I have Okuma baitrunners and what I did was spool on 100 yds of braid then tied that to backing and filled the reel. I then reeled this onto one of the other reels so the braid is now on top. My reasoning is when changing line, I know 100 yds will fill the reel perfectly and buy line accordingly. Back to the casting. With this setup I have cast into the backing several times when really loading up and firing getting distance of 100 yds. plus. I have seen no need to change setups as where I fish I have not found a need to cast over that far and 90% of where I'm casting to is far less so I can't speak to the need for 12' rods. Food for thought. The 9' rods break down smaller and cost $80.00 each. A reel with a deep large diameter spool will get you more distance also.

Thanks Chicarp. I think I was only getting that distance because I was using a method lead and was afraid I'd whip the method off the sinker if I wailed it too hard to get distance, You're line loading routine sounds quite ingenious! I was looking at those 9' salmon Ugly Stiks. I am afraid where I fish due to overhanging trees I'd have a tough time casting with a 12 footer so those might be a great compromise and a money saver. Coupling those with big pit reels might be the ticket. Thanks very much for the info and I will be looking into this further. Tight lines to you!

Sometimes the mix comes off no matter what you do. If you mix it right and pack it on the lead tightly, you should be fine. 

I'd definitely recommend the 12' rods. Personally, I use Sonik S3 3.5 TC rods and I can easily cast 100 yards with them. 

As for your debris problem, I definitely recommend a backlead on braided line. Don't use Fluro or mono, because in my experience they stretch too much to allow for bite detection at long distances. 

Finally, definitely use a much heavier gripper style lead. I use Korda big grippa leads exclusively in 5oz size. If you buy a >3.25 TC rod you should be able to cast it with ease. They hold pack bait/method mix wonderfully, and I rarely have it fly off on the cast. They hold bottom wonderfully, too.

Hi Lizardman529, thanks for your reply! I now have 12' 3.5 TC Diawa rods which should cast those 5 Oz. Korda Gripper leads you recommend. Using braid in this situation certainly makes sense, any brand you recommend? I've tried Suffix Fluorobraid which sinks but unfortunately I have found to be very inconsistent breaking off WAY too many fish so any braid recommendation you can provide would be welcome. I am currently using Fox Submerge 40# braid which I assume should work? My next step will be getting some back leads and giving this a shot. Thanks again!

I would not spend a whole lot of money on back leads.

You can use Water Gremlin Snap-Loc Dipsey sinkers and they work just fine at a fraction of the cost.

http://www.watergremlin.com/my-tacklebox/snap-loc-dipsey-swivel/

Google them and you'll find plenty of sources.

50 lb. Power Pro in red for mainline with no issues. If boats going by then snap on a dipsey, let it sink, and reel up the slack,

I use mainly 2 - 3oz method leads but there are times when current gets stiff I wish I had some 5 oz.

Good luck!

Cool, thanks for the tip on the Dipsey sinkers Chi, I'll check them out (and the braid). Ditto on the method leads, that is mainly what I use also (2.5 - 3 Oz. Fox Paste Bombs) but here on the Potomac, there are some main river spots that when the tide gets ripping (and when the fish seem most active) nothing can hold you except something like a 5 Oz lead so yeah, I think I will pick up a few as Lizardman suggested.

Tight lines!

You should try flipping the grass mats on the incoming and outgoing tides for bass. ^_^ Love to give that a go but a bit far away.

9 hours ago, Blayne Beeler said:

Using braid in this situation certainly makes sense, any brand you recommend? I've tried Suffix Fluorobraid which sinks but unfortunately I have found to be very inconsistent breaking off WAY too many fish so any braid recommendation you can provide would be welcome. I am currently using Fox Submerge 40# braid which I assume should work? My next step will be getting some back leads and giving this a shot. Thanks again!

Personally, I use 30lb power pro in moss green, but any power pro line in a camo color like dark green or brown in the 30 - 50 pound test range should also work excellently.

Edited by Lizardman529
Typo