Carp Anglers Group Forums

Each year the Carp Anglers Group puts on an event to "Take a Kid Carping". I truly believe that the youth of today are the anglers of tomorrow. Helping them get started when they are young, teaching them the basics, not just in techniques but also covering topics such as angling etiquette, pickup up their trash and consideration for others, conservation and the environment.

No matter how busy my schedule, work, or otherwise, I always make the time each year to Take a Kid Carping ! 

This year I decided to take James's 10 yr old daughter Olivia, out on a session to Chatfield Reservoir, Kingfisher. Olivia has been fishing for carp for a couple of years at local venues. She really wanted a chance to catch a "big" carp. Her personal best stood at 6 lb's, a 24" common carp from Quail Lake in Colorado Springs.

So, that was the CarpQuest. Could we help Olivia catch a big carp ?

Within an hour of setting up, her rod went screaming off with a blistering run. With a "little" help from James to get the fish initially under control, she steered the fish expertly into the net.

A minute later it was in the cradle and her hands.

large.57bb6e68f3c95_JamesandOlivia2.jpg

A glorious 30.5", 16 lb 2 oz common carp. Olivia had not only caught her first ever Colorado Master Angler carp but she had also landed her new Personal Best - Fins-UP !

large.57bb6e6bde8a7_Olivia2.jpg

It was Job Done. Much victory coffee for James and I, alas Olivia's a wee bit too young for the coffee.

A CarpQuest video of this session will be released later this year along with a full "in-session" write-up.

large.57bb6e6a55002_JohnOlivia.jpg

Tight-Lines,

John

Just released the video of the TAKC session with Olivia and James, hope you enjoy !