Carp Anglers Group Forums
FJR1

August 27 Tournament CANCELED

AUGUST 27 TOURNAMENT AT KEWANEE CANCELED!
lightning.jpg

Due to a forecast that calls for thunderstorms, lightning, high winds, and 3+ hours of rain, I am canceling the August 27, 2016 "Dog Days of Summer" Carp Tournament at Kewanee's Sauk Trail State Park. 

I apologize for the short notice, but the forecast was just "upgraded" this morning.  If the tournament were in Joliet with quick access to cars, we would probably move forward with the event.  However, at Kewanee, you are either out in the open at the dam and the SW parking lot or under some big trees at the picnic areas. 

If the storms do not materialize at Kewanee, I prefer to err on the side of caution. 

I have put together a quick IDNR tournament application for Saturday, September 3 at Johnson-Sauk Lake to make up for this postponement, but IDNR prefers applications 30 days in advance; so I have my doubts that this will "fly."  However, indicate on a post below if you'd be interested in a 9/3/16 event under the same parameters as the intended 8/27/16 event. Thanks.

The next definite event (barring unforeseen acts of brutal weather by Mother Nature) will be the "Welcome to Fall" Tournament on Saturday, September 24 at the Johnson - Sauk Trail Lake in Kewanee.  I will change the tournament parameters for that event to reflect the open peg/open location concept of the intended August 27 event, so maximum number of anglers has been increased from 14 to 20.

Sorry for any inconvenience that this cancellation may have caused. --Frank Rink

I have sent an e-mail or PM to all registered anglers notifying them of the cancellation, but pass the word if you suspect someone doesn't check their communications networks.  Thanks. --Frank

1 hour ago, FJR1 said:

AUGUST 27 TOURNAMENT AT KEWANEE CANCELED!

Due to a forecast that calls for thunderstorms, lightning, high winds, and 3+ hours of rain, I am canceling the August 27, 2016 "Dog Days of Summer" Carp Tournament at Kewanee's Sauk Trail State Park. 

I apologize for the short notice, but the forecast was just "upgraded" this morning.  If the tournament were in Joliet with quick access to cars, we would probably move forward with the event.  However, at Kewanee, you are either out in the open at the dam and the SW parking lot or under some big trees at the picnic areas. 

If the storms do not materialize at Kewanee, I prefer to err on the side of caution. 

The next event will be the "Welcome to Fall" Tournament on Saturday, September 24 at the Johnson - Sauk Trail Lake in Kewanee.  I will change the tournament parameters for that event to reflect the open peg/open location concept of the intended August 27 event, so maximum number of anglers has been increased from 14 to 20.

Sorry for any inconvenience that this cancellation may have caused. --Frank Rink

Move it to joliet

In the past, Larry, I would have moved the event to Joliet in a minute, especially since August 27 is one of the 20 dates listed on my liability insurance policy and on the list of approved dates granted by the City of Joliet.  

However and as you know, the Illinois Department of Natural Resources now requires tournament approval for events such as this, and application for that approval should be submitted at least thirty days prior to an event, with few exceptions.  I don't want to jeopardize my standing with IDNR as a tournament host by holding an unapproved event. --Frank

The river will probably be chocolate milk anyway. :lol: 

I feel badly that we have had to cancel the "Dog Days" Tournament twice, now, due to heat indices in the 100's in July and a forecast for storms tomorrow, Aug. 27.  Perhaps the IDNR will take pity on me and approve a tournament application I just submitted in the past hour for Saturday, September 3 at Johnson - Sauk Trail Lake.  Yes, they typically want you to submit an application 30 days in advance, but maybe they'll check my two prior cancellations due to weather and give us a break.

Anyway, should the event be approved by IDNR, we need participants. Post here if you might be interested in a September 3 Big 3 tournament under the same rules, guidelines, and awards as the August 27 intended event.

List of committed anglers if IDNR approves September 3 Tournament application:
1.  Frank Rink
2.  James Kraft (James is also in for 9/24, 11/26, and 12/10.)

Tracy here. Injured my rt leg salmon fishing yesterday so I wasn't going to make it. Did catch a 14lb northern pike before I slipped. Not bad injury but sure is sore.

38 minutes ago, CHIBIGTEE said:

Tracy here. Injured my rt leg salmon fishing yesterday so I wasn't going to make it. Did catch a 14lb northern pike before I slipped. Not bad injury but sure is sore.

Hope you're feeling better soon, Tracy.

11 minutes ago, Chad said:

I can fish the 3rd  if it's approved 

Thanks, Chad.  We'll need four to make this a go, if IDNR approves.  We shall see.

List of committed anglers if IDNR approves September 3 Tournament application:
1.  Frank Rink (Frank is also in for 9/24, 10/15, 11/12, 11/26, and 12/10.)
3.  Chad Bettisch (Chad is also in for 9/24, 10/15, 11/12, 11/26, and 12/10.)

3 hours ago, FJR1 said:

In the past, Larry, I would have moved the event to Joliet in a minute, especially since August 27 is one of the 20 dates listed on my liability insurance policy and on the list of approved dates granted by the City of Joliet.  

However and as you know, the Illinois Department of Natural Resources now requires tournament approval for events such as this, and application for that approval should be submitted at least thirty days prior to an event, with few exceptions.  I don't want to jeopardize my standing with IDNR as a tournament host by holding an unapproved event. --Frank

The river will probably be chocolate milk anyway. :lol: 

I know exactly what your saying about the approval,

Wow.  There may be an IDNR decision soon on a September 3 tournament at Kewanee to make up for the August 27 cancellation.  I just checked my application on the IDNR approval website and the application has already changed status from "application submittted" to "decision pending."  I doubt anything will be finalized over the weekend, but, perhaps, we'll know by this coming Monday or Tuesday.  If you're interested, post here.  I'll need at least four anglers to make this a GO.  Three have already committed  Thanks. --Frank

sauk.jpg

On August 26, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Blacksheep said:

If this happens on the 3rd, count me in!

Thanks, much, Larry.  That puts us at four anglers, meaning the event will take place if we get IDNR approval.  Keep in mind it's Labor Day weekend, so the lake could be busy.  Backleads may be needed.

List of committed anglers for the twice-canceled "Dog Days of Summer" Big 3 tournament if IDNR approves our September 3 Tournament application for a third try at having this event:
4.  Larry Seeman (Larry is also in for 9/24.)

Well, in checking the Kewanee weather several times today, I noticed there were a couple downpours early but nothing that would have been too dangerous.  Too bad the predictions were worse than the reality.  I'll post a separate September 3 sign-up thread if and when I get IDNR approval.  I'm still not overly optimistic, but we shall see.  Thanks to James, Chad, and Larry who have already committed, making the September 3 tournament a GO if we get approval.  Have a good weekend. --Frank

Paul and Bobby Hennenfent are in for September 3 should IDNR approval be forthcoming.  Thank you Paul and Bobby! :yourock:

4.  Larry Seeman (Larry is also in for 9/24.)
5.  Paul Hennenfent (Paul is also in for 9/24.)
6.  Bobby Hennenfent (Bobby is also in for 9/24.)

Frank as you asked, I will have to cancel for the 3rd. The rain this last Saturday put us behind a day at work so we have to make it up on the 3rd, it happens.

25 minutes ago, Blacksheep said:

Frank as you asked, I will have to cancel for the 3rd. The rain this last Saturday put us behind a day at work so we have to make it up on the 3rd, it happens.

No problem, Larry.  Thanks for letting me know.

List of anglers signed up for 9/3/16 Big 3 event at Sauk Trail, Kewanee if IDNR approves the tournament application in time:

4.  Paul Hennenfent (Paul is also in for 9/24.)
5.  Bobby Hennenfent (Bobby is also in for 9/24.)

My name is Arun Hari and I am really really new to Fishing / Carp fishing(3 months). Never ever been to any tournament and still in the learning phase. Upon slot availability please include me in the list of anglers towards the rescheduled carp tournament on September 3rd at the Johnson-Sauk Lake. 

3 hours ago, Arun Hari said:

My name is Arun Hari and I am really really new to Fishing / Carp fishing(3 months). Never ever been to any tournament and still in the learning phase. Upon slot availability please include me in the list of anglers towards the rescheduled carp tournament on September 3rd at the Johnson-Sauk Lake. 

Thank you, Arun.  I haven't heard from IDNR yet, but if we get approved, you are in. :yourock:
Arun Hari is in for September 3 if we get state approval prior to the event!  
578579ff91d62_Galena(12).jpg.926edd856b1a51f8506b597acde2b44f.jpg

List of anglers signed up for 9/3/16 Big 3 event at Sauk Trail, Kewanee if IDNR approves the tournament application in time:

6.  Arun Hari (Arun is also in for 9/24.)

I'm hoping IDNR approves this, even with short notice, because we are now up to eight anglers.

Cory Bohmann and Cory Bohmann, Jr. are in!  Thank you gentlemen! :yourock:
14051564_1356579974352491_375267389975884616_n.jpg
boo.jpg

6.  Arun Hari (Arun is also in for 9/24.)
7.  Cory Bohmann (Cory is also in for 9/24.)
8.  Cory Bohmann, Jr. (Boo is also in for 9/24.)