Carp Anglers Group Forums
Team Wild Water

Buffalo Fishing Tips and Techniques

Everybody knows that it can be difficult to target the elusive Buffalo. Does anybody want to share some tips, techniques, rigs, baits etc. to give anglers a better chance at landing more Buffalo?

Actually, the majority of our catches this year at my local venue have been buffs.  My PB came from this spot three years ago this month.  Evan C. commented once that the molasses in range cubes might be a factor in attracting them.  Tony Locke uses unsweetened canned corn with a match fishing system.  I use flavored corn on Euro tackle.  I have used both hair rigs and bait on the hook.  One thing a Barry (needmotime2fish) noticed a while back is that buffs will nibble at the bait sometimes just enough to move the line but not enough to set off an alarm.  We have learned to pick up the rod, watch the line straighten out a bit, set the hook and hang on.  Hope this helps.  One thing- make sure your net and mat are rinsed off before getting into the car.  They are real slimy.  Yuk!

I generally use #4 or #6 hooks.  As I mentioned, I use both the hair rig and bait directly on the hook.  Lead/sinkers are free to slide on the line.  To prevent losing the lead/sinker, I thread the sinker on the line, a plastic bead, and a locking snap swivel.  My rigs are either tied with a loop or with a barrel swivel to attach to the snap swivel.  I use a line lighter in weight (10-20 lb. mono or braid) than the main line which is 65 lb. Power Pro.  Hope this helps.  BTW, the TN state record SM buffalo is 62 lb. 7 oz., caught in Percy Priest Lake, April 28, 2001.   Note this might be during the spawn.

Let mention that I flatten the barbs on all my hooks- carping and fly fishing.  Easier to remove from the net, the fish, and me.  As long as you keep pressure on the line, the fish stays on.  Flatten the barb before tying a rig or fly.  If the hook breaks, you are only out a hook.  Yes, I have had this happen a couple of times.  Used to live in central NC; miss the fresh seafood!

Edit:  My avatar shows my PB buff.

My largest two buff's were caught on homemade boilies made from puréed hot peppers. Peppers so hot it makes your eyes water just being in the house while making them. But more key is that I catch many that never set off an alarm. I know watching the rods is not everyone's wish but catching drop backs is a big key in my opinion. They do not always attack bait like carp do. I catch a lot on flavored maize too.

IMG_20161024_191437.jpg

Thanks for the tips man! I'm fishing a spot on Lake Wylie this weekend which is where the record 88lb buff was caught so I might try some of these techniques.