• Announcements

Carperama

West Point Lake

7 posts in this topic

I fish West Point Lake along the border of Georgia and Alabama and can catch fish up to 10lbs bank fishing but was wondering where the best place to catch the big fish are? I don't fish the north part or up on the river much, I stay towards the dam area and up to the bridge on 109 most of the time.  Could the bigger carp be in the deeper water or in the river channels? I'm going fishing this weekend and might try a different area even if I don't catch any at least I might catch a big one or some nice catfish. Anyone ever tried these deeper hole or maybe along the dam in the deep water for carp?

Ended up on the south part of the lake and man was it still hot in the upper 80's but some nice cool nights.  I tried some different spots trying to catch some bigger fish mostly steep drop-offs near the river channel and some near by flats, NOTHING! Ended up on a hump near the dam in 15' of water the last night and caught 5 all around 5-8 lbs. Guess I'm going to have to head up to the north part of the lake and river to find the bigger ones?

try down the river lake harding  or lake oliver. west point has three bowfishing clubs they keep larger fish killed out always caught lots of smaller fish never one over 12 lbs.

Sorry to learn of the BF crowd.  Why kill them when it's more fun to catch them and catch them again and catch them again, ad nauseum.

I have never fished West Point, but I do fish a lot of other GA" lakes"...or to be more precise the rivers that enter or leave said lake. Typically they leave the lake to spawn in Feb/March/April and so this is a good time to try these rivers. For me, this is when I am most likely to catch a GA twenty.

I know quite a few GA carp anglers go south, just into Fla and catch large carp in the Appalachicola and so that must not be so great a drive for you. I think they regularly catch them to over 30lb, but I myself have never fished it

Having said that, I much prefer to fish a river and so I am biased. Accepting that the # of large carp will be kept low by bowfishermen on the lake, I would assume that this is typically not so great a problem on a river.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for the reply, I've fished the north end of West Point where it turns into a river but not during Feb/March/April, I might try it out if I can get some free time.  There are a lot of bow fisherman on the river on the north end I've seen them almost every time I've night fished there.

Your details say Atlanta, which is where I live. If this is so, you might want to save some gas and fish around here. If you need help on where to fish for carp in the Atlanta  area I am happy to give you details on where I go.

Cheers

Tony