Carp Anglers Group Forums
dust

Pack bait ingredient sources

I know that most of us can find sweet corn, creamed corn, hominy, and rolled oats, basic seasonings, etc., but some things, like sweet feed, beluchan, and other ingredients, might be harder for a beginner to locate.

Please post what ingredients you use, and where you find them at.  As much information as possible, or links would be great, so others can search for brands and products at their local stores.

For example, I have heard a lot about sweet feed, but can only find 50 lb. bags, like below, which aren't conducive to apartment living.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-all-stock-sweet-12-animal-feed-50-lb?cm_vc=-10005

You are correct -- you can find most anything at Tractor Supply, but usually only in 40 or 50 pound bags.  What I've listed below are just the things I buy in smaller quantities.
Here are some common items I use in many of my carp baits, and where I usually buy them.

1. Canned corn (both whole kernel and cream style) -- Aldi's   49 cents a can
2. Oatmeal (both Old Fashioned and Quick) -- Aldi's   $2.39  for the large container
3. Clear corn syrup -- Aldi's   $2.89 for 32 oz bottle,  $1.49 for 16 oz bottle
4. Birdseed (can sometimes be used as substitute for millet) -- Walmart (parakeet/finch food)  about $4.50 for a 5 lbs bag.

5. Instant Rice -- Walmart  $6.00 for 72 oz box of Minute Rice, $2.43 for 28 oz box of Great Value brand
6. Instant Grits (Quaker) -- Ingle's    $4.79 for 36 oz box  (an 18 oz box costs almost $4, and the 12 oz boxes of 12 individual packets are about $2, almost anywhere)
7. Arrowhead Mills Corn Puffs --  Ingle's   $1.99 per bag (one bag will last a long time)
8. Quick grits -- I buy these wherever I find them at the lowest price.
9. Miscellaneous flavors -- Ollie's Bargain Outlet   99 cent vanilla and Anise flavors; assorted Jelly Belly Snow Cone flavors for about $1.29

Walmart is also a good place to buy (store brand) Jello, and Ollie's usually has spices (cinnamon, cayenne, chili powder) at a good price. It's always a good idea to watch for other specials at these and at other grocery stores.  

Edited by needmotime2fish

If you watch Ollie's, you can find large bottles of flavors as caramel and raspberry.  These are supposed to flavor tea, coffee, etc. but I use them to flavor canned sweet corn and packbait such as boiled cracked corn.  I do put it in my tea occasionally.  I have found, at least here, that the light corn syrup is seasonal for the holidays.  So........I have about 10 bottles on the shelf.

Just found 3 lbs. of panko for $6 at Gordon Food Services.

8 oz. of hemp seed at Trader Joe's for $5.99

6 hours ago, Cannonball said:

If you watch Ollie's, you can find large bottles of flavors as caramel and raspberry.  These are supposed to flavor tea, coffee, etc. but I use them to flavor canned sweet corn and packbait such as boiled cracked corn.  I do put it in my tea occasionally.  I have found, at least here, that the light corn syrup is seasonal for the holidays.  So........I have about 10 bottles on the shelf.

Never heard of the place, but there is a few in Louisville, and one in Nicholasville and Richmond I will try to check out.

I buy 25 pounds of Panko at GFS. It comes inside a bag within a cardboard box. It's easier for me to store that way. I paid $27.99 last time. I used to buy the 3 pound bags of Panko but now buy the bigger quantity for much less money.

I use bran and oats I get from the feed supply store.  You can buy them by huge bags or the store I shop out has bins you can load bags up from...10 pounds of each was less than 10 dollars total.  Couple that with a 50 pound bag of field corn (which was about 15 bucks I think) and for a grand total of 25 bucks, I have had feed and particle all summer long and still have some left over.

I use a lot of bread too.  I can get loaves of italian bread at the local Krogers for a dollar....A dollar!  I shred that up and dunk it into a bucket of water with anise extract added to the water...then put my bran and oatmeal into that until it is gooey and sticky

It works....that's about all I can say about that.

On 10/30/2016 at 7:23 PM, dust said:

Never heard of the place, but there is a few in Louisville, and one in Nicholasville and Richmond I will try to check out.

Ollie's Outlets is a fairly new chain, apparently out of Harrisburg, PA.  It's a bit similar to Big Lots, but (IMO) with less junk and more useful stuff.  Like all those types of stores, the merchandise varies from store to store and from one week to the next.  But they usually have a decent supply of vanilla, anise, and spices.  It's usually a good place to stock up on (unhealthy) snacks for your bank side sessions, as well.   If you're in the area, it might be worth your time to stop by and look around.

They even have a small section of fishing tackle items.  I haven't bought much of it, but I did find some Berkley Gulp! floating corn for 50 cents.  

Check this for store locations near you...  http://www.ollies.us/locations/   

There are two of them within a 20 minute drive from my house.   One of those recently added some "Catfish Combos" that sell for $29.95.  I've been thinking about buying one to use as a spod rod -- 10 feet long, 2 pieces, with an action almost like a pool cue (MUCH stiffer than my heaviest 12' carp rod -- it's probably at least a 4 TC)

I also recently found a 5 lb bag of "beet powder" (dried & powdered beets, mixed with powdered grain) in the Walmart sporting goods section for under $10.  It's sold as a deer attractant, but can be added to pack bait to attract carp.  I haven't tried it yet, but since beets are a fairly good source of betaine, it should be ok.

7 hours ago, needmotime2fish said:

I also recently found a 5 lb bag of "beet powder" (dried & powdered beets, mixed with powdered grain) in the Walmart sporting goods section for under $10.  It's sold as a deer attractant, but can be added to pack bait to attract carp.  I haven't tried it yet, but since beets are a fairly good source of betaine, it should be ok.

Mine has a powder and a liquid corn attractant I have been considering, but want to start simple before buying alot.  Can't catch a carp with oats and corn, or oats, corn and grenadine, don't know if a 2 page ingredient list will do much.

7 hours ago, needmotime2fish said:

Ollie's Outlets is a fairly new chain, apparently out of Harrisburg, PA.  It's a bit similar to Big Lots, but (IMO) with less junk and more useful stuff.  Like all those types of stores, the merchandise varies from store to store and from one week to the next.  But they usually have a decent supply of vanilla, anise, and spices.  It's usually a good place to stock up on (unhealthy) snacks for your bank side sessions, as well.   If you're in the area, it might be worth your time to stop by and look around.

They even have a small section of fishing tackle items.  I haven't bought much of it, but I did find some Berkley Gulp! floating corn for 50 cents.  

Check this for store locations near you...  http://www.ollies.us/locations/   

There are two of them within a 20 minute drive from my house.   One of those recently added some "Catfish Combos" that sell for $29.95.  I've been thinking about buying one to use as a spod rod -- 10 feet long, 2 pieces, with an action almost like a pool cue (MUCH stiffer than my heaviest 12' carp rod -- it's probably at least a 4 TC)

I don't know when I will be near one next, but will definitely check it out.  I love finding new stores like that.  Floating corn is something I am about to buy from BCT, so that would be nice. Just noticed that Berkeley has a carp line, which is interesting.

The catfish combo sounds good for what you want to use it for.  Even if the reel is pure crap it's not fighting a 30 lb fish, just a 1/4-1/2 lb. spod, and then whatever it hits on the way back in.  And it sure beats $300+ for a dedicated spod rod.

I picked up a Penn Prevail with a 4-10 oz. lure weight for spodding and cats, and was told that 12 oz. weights wouldn't be an issue. Does anyone make an XXL spomb? :)

Edited by dust

I use C and S Wild Bird Food, Peanut Nuggets ‑ 27 oz purchased at Home Depot for less than $4. These last several sessions and work well.

52 minutes ago, Brian Pearcy said:

I use C and S Wild Bird Food, Peanut Nuggets ‑ 27 oz purchased at Home Depot for less than $4. These last several sessions and work well.

This one? How do you use them?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/C-S-Products-1-7-lb-Wild-Bird-Peanut-Flavored-Suet-Nuggets-CS06105/100566332

Many ACE Hardware stores sell 20lb bags of bird seed for $10. Quite a steal.

33 minutes ago, Jerome said:

Many ACE Hardware stores sell 20lb bags of bird seed for $10. Quite a steal.

Do you boil or fish as is?

I used the peanut suet in my panko and cream corn pack bait. I also use chicken feed from time to time. I like the peanut suet. Peanut powder is also something you can use but the straight powder is kind of expensive to use in pack bait. That's why I found the peanut suet.

Yes. I use the one you linked to from Home Depot.

I like to use chicken feed instead of bird seed. The chicken feed doesn't float and you don't have to boil it.

I like to flavor some flavored field corn (deer corn) and mix that in my pack bait too. I bought a 25 bag that has lasted me for two years.

On 11/5/2016 at 5:16 PM, Brian Pearcy said:

I used the peanut suet in my panko and cream corn pack bait. I also use chicken feed from time to time. I like the peanut suet. Peanut powder is also something you can use but the straight powder is kind of expensive to use in pack bait. That's why I found the peanut suet.

Yes. I use the one you linked to from Home Depot.

I like to use chicken feed instead of bird seed. The chicken feed doesn't float and you don't have to boil it.

I like to flavor some flavored field corn (deer corn) and mix that in my pack bait too. I bought a 25 bag that has lasted me for two years.

Costco has Honeyville Organic Peanut Butter Powder Bag.  32 oz for $12.79

I picked up the peanut suet as I was fishing close to an HD.  Do you crush them, or just soak them?

Ollie's is 5 minutes from a delivery I'm making today.  Time to spend some money.

No Anise, but Vanilla was $2.49 for the big bottle and Raspberry was 99 cents.  Couldn't find the Anise.  A pic would be nice if someone has one.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 7:54 AM, dust said:

Costco has Honeyville Organic Peanut Butter Powder Bag.  32 oz for $12.79

I picked up the peanut suet as I was fishing close to an HD.  Do you crush them, or just soak them?

I just crush the peanut suet with my fingers a little bit when adding to the panko. I use a small handful at a time. It will last quite a while.