Carp Anglers Group Forums
dust

Pop up plastic corn = less takes?

Had sweet corn on the hair, and had several hookups, with 3 at the bank and 2 in the net.  I switched to popup maize the next week, and the line is moving, but there are no takes. Still putting the hook and hair on top of the packbait in the method feeder, but wondering if the hook is floating away, and the packbait is being eaten without the hook.

Weather has been different, location the same, pack bait a little different.

Has anyone else experienced this?  It's Enterprise from BCT if it matters.

If the corn is really buoyant then you will need to put a little split shot on your leader to hold the line down. Test it in the margins to make sure it works. Another reason why you might not be getting takes is because they probably know it's fake. Carp have extremely sensitive taste receptors in and around their lips and mouth so they probably know it's fake as soon as they touch it. If they're feeding really aggressively or your fake corn is flavored then you'll most likely get a take but if using real corn works, then use real corn.

Edited by Mr. CEO

I had thought I had ordered sinking corn from Enterprise, and flavored floating corn from Korda.

I had been applying Grenadine before casting, but evidently I need to soak, use a longer lasting attractant, use some real corn in combination, or leave the fake stuff in the tackle box.

I have a can of sweet corn, so I will use in my next batch and try one rod with sweet corn and floater, and one with straight sweet corn.  I was hoping to avoid constant hair rig fiddling.

Fake corn fishing is an art and it takes time to learn.Don't give up on it. Put your rig in clear water or even a jar and see how it sits. You will need change this up depending on the bottom you are fishing on. There are a ton of youtube videos on using fake corn as well.

The corn could be too high up from the bottom. The hair could be too long. It could be drifting away because maybe the hooklength isn't heavy. There are a million variables which could be causing the fish to feed around the bait and not picking it up. Just play around with the rigs and when you get it right, you will haul.

This is something that I have invested heavily in, but to cover pretty much every scenario I could think of.  I use Enterprise plastics all the time.  I use others as well.  It really is trial and error, to get the results you seek.  One thing I have found more and more, is that by putting a small amount of weight, be it split shot, putty, maybe the lead from lead core, near the eye of the hook (this can change with bottom materials, current, etc), really helps keep my imitation hook baits nearer the food pile.  It took a while to realize, what my hook baits on the hair were doing in the water.  I did move from mono hook link material to coated braids.  This aides in sinking the line and keeping the hook bait closer to the method or stick mix offering.  I am thankful I have had great mentors, and other anglers willing to share tips and techniques with me.  The reason for my investment is plastics, when soaked and rigged properly, are deadly, and they last a lot longer.  Other than the occasional break off from snags, etc, I simply take the plastic off and put it back in the bottle of flavoring or whatever I am soaking it in.  That way, I am constantly rotating and getting fresh scent baits out.  I grew up a Bass and Trout angler where imitation is the name of the game.  I just brought that into my Carping. I have a ton more to learn and experiment with, thus far it is working.

I've used imitation corn for years and had great success with or without method / pack.

My guess is that the pop-up corn is floating the hook away from the method/pack as you suggest. I would get some regular (non buoyant) corn or as someone else suggested add a small piece of shot or tungsten putty just behind the hook ( or even on the hair between the hook and the imitation corn like a KD rig) to keep it anchored.

I also use soft braid as a hook link instead of a stiffer material as that can push the hook etc away from the method/pack. I also use a simple set up with a #6 or #8 hook and had 100% hook sets in the bottom lip.

Lastly don't be in too much of a hurry to 'strike'... I used a pellet method with a piece of white imitation corn (see photo) to catch some very big carp to 55lb in Italy this past September. The bobbin was being bounced around for as long as 5 minutes as the carp messed with the method before finally sucking in the hook and the rod being pulled hard around.

P9290263.JPG

P9280179.JPG

4 hours ago, Savayman said:

I've used imitation corn for years and had great success with or without method / pack.

My guess is that the pop-up corn is floating the hook away from the method/pack as you suggest. I would get some regular (non buoyant) corn or as someone else suggested add a small piece of shot or tungsten putty just behind the hook ( or even on the hair between the hook and the imitation corn like a KD rig) to keep it anchored.

Savayman, it’s a shallow lake, and there wasn’t much chop on the water. I plopped an almost empty method feeder in the margins to let the oats soak and come off, and the hook was floating above the feeder.
I am looking into slow sinking corn right now, but waiting for other things to come in stock at BCT and thinking about trying some real stuff for the time being.

I also use soft braid as a hook link instead of a stiffer material as that can push the hook etc away from the method/pack. I also use a simple set up with a #6 or #8 hook and had 100% hook sets in the bottom lip.

The hooklink is 30 lb. braid, and is about as supple as I would want fishing line to be. Small “chod” hooks, and bought some wide gapes that I have on one rig.  I picked up some belachan at the Vietnamese market today, so I will try to wrap a floater in it, and I am soaking two more kernels in Grenadine. Only have two method feeders left as one cracked off, and I think I left the other at the lake, as is probably gone now. Got some more in the mail.

Lastly don't be in too much of a hurry to 'strike'... I used a pellet method with a piece of white imitation corn (see photo) to catch some very big carp to 55lb in Italy this past September. The bobbin was being bounced around for as long as 5 minutes as the carp messed with the method before finally sucking in the hook and the rod being pulled hard around.

If I see a twitch I will get up, but won't touch the rod unless it's physically moving (small rod with no baitclicker), or the big reel is singing.  I'm out for 4-5 hours.  No hurry except getting the fish back in the water safely.

The slow sinking corn is still slightly buoyant as it's designed to sink with the weight of the hook. It you drop it in a bowl you will see that it floats. Tap it or squeeze it and it will sink to the bottom and waft around slightly. 

After reading some over the weekend, I changed two things.

I was using quick oats, which I think is part of the problem, so I mixed in some Tink's sweet corn deer attractant and old fashioned oats into the remaining quick oats mix I had, and I changed out to garbanzo beans. I put a small glass jar with a vanilla extract/Brita filtered water mix in the microwave for 30 seconds, then added 15 garbanzo beans, put the lid on and let soak overnight.  Poured the liquid into the mix, and kept the beans in the jar. Next time I will do ten beans, and much less or no water.  I was worried that nuking the water might cause problems, but a channel cat, a mirror and a common bigger than my 24" net convinced me otherwise. 42" net is on it's way from BCT as the handle was broken by the cameraman, the method feeders I ordered arrived really quickly, and the yoga mat will be coming along.

IMG_14261.jpg

Oops...I posted in the wrong thread.....

I recently found this amazing yellow soft foam that I am going to slice up and dunk in corn deer feed attractant.....it has all the great characteristics....soft and full of air.....it should do great...

Stop waiting for someone to charge you to think.....carp are smart...but they ain't as smart as us.

2 hours ago, Manosteel said:

I recently found this amazing yellow soft foam that I am going to slice up and dunk in corn deer feed attractant.....it has all the great characteristics....soft and full of air.....it should do great...

Is this the Tink's Boost stuff I photographed a month or two ago?

3 hours ago, Manosteel said:

No it's "wildgame innovations - sweet corn crush juiced deer attractant".  Got it at Dick's

Ah, now I remember. Would you say the full bottle weighs about 10 lbs.?  Also, if you are planning on trying it in a PVA, let us know if it works or not.

29 minutes ago, Manosteel said:

yeah it's gallon so prob 9-10 pounds... it's real thick and viscous.

When I run out of the Tink's I got on sale for $6 the stuff you posted will work out to be cheaper. At this rate though it will probably be June of next year.  Try to stay inside if the high is less than 8C.

On 12/8/2016 at 2:17 PM, dust said:

When I run out of the Tink's I got on sale for $6 the stuff you posted will work out to be cheaper. At this rate though it will probably be June of next year.  Try to stay inside if the high is less than 8C.

I fish whenever i have the time...regardless of the weather!  It's why I have a rainsuit, fishing gloves and winter clothes!  The only time I won't give it a try is if the water is real high at the rivers or the lakes are frozen over.  I've landed nice fish in nasty winter weather

One quick tip is test your rig near the edge before casting out. You can get a good idea of what it is doing. Like mentioned above about it floating the hook away and such. You can test it and make changes before casting out some. I used to use one piece of pop up corn and a few pieces of sweet corn. If you put the sweet corn on first and a fake piece last even if the sweet corn comes off you still have the fake corn on the top left over. It also holds on the sweet corn better as well since bluegill and other fish will peck at it. 

5 hours ago, Manosteel said:

I fish whenever i have the time...regardless of the weather!  It's why I have a rainsuit, fishing gloves and winter clothes!  The only time I won't give it a try is if the water is real high at the rivers or the lakes are frozen over.  I've landed nice fish in nasty winter weather

Lake was mostly frozen this afternoon when I got there.  Duck stuck out in the center, and two dead shads? on the bank.  I am headed to Texas for Christmas and will bring back my cold weather clothes.  Still don't know if I want to be fishing or hunting with all the seasons open.

Edited by dust

dust, I have a suggestion.  Hunt in the morning and late afternoon- especially if you are deer hunting.  Then, fish in between those times.  I know two guys who go to WI in the fall for what they call Cast and Blast.  Grouse hunting in the morning and trout fishing in the afternoon when it warms a bit.

Plastic corn is my most trusted hookbait. I've used it to great effect to catch some truly massive carp, including my 35 pound PB. Usually i will put 2 slow sinking corn and one pop up corn on the hair, so it's neutrally buoyant but still stands upright. If you're fishing a river, the current makes the corn waft around a bit and drives the fish crazy. A small split shot below the corn on the hair helps ensure it's pinned to the bottom, but still able to stand upright.

I've had success with ESP's plastic corn, which is scented. But I've never caught with it paired with the method, probably because it floats away from the feeder. But I've caught with unweighted fake floating corn with 4" hooklinks on a running-rig.