Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Sign in to follow this  
FJR1

"Sam Snow Memorial - Holiday Carp Tournament"
Saturday, December 10, 2016 
Bicentennial Park - Joliet, IL

banner_sam_snow_memorial_carp.jpg.2dc3f5d6193c9fc5362aa4f4a48cb6a9.jpg

In memory and in honor of Sam Snow who first initated the Joliet carp tournaments, our December tournament is now called the "Sam Snow Memorial."  Sam passed away in August 2015.  He was among the early leaders of the Carp Anglers Group, serving as Illinois chair and organizing many events through CAG and his Midwest Carp Anglers Association (MCAA).  Although he had not been active in organized carp fishing since 2010, Sam's legacy continues throughout Illinois with events and tournaments organized under parameters similar to Sam’s past events.  I will always remember Big Sam as extremely generous with his time, resources, and expertise.  His kindness and good will were as big as his 6'7" stature.
025_Sam_and_Jim.jpg 

This will be the last Joliet event of the year and may be the last event for some time as we search for less costly venues that do not require liability insurance and village approval.

Sign up on this thread for the Saturday, December 10, 2016 "Sam Snow Memorial - Holiday" Big 4 Tournament at Joliet!

Date, Peg Choice, Time Parameters for Tournament, Format:  Saturday, December 10, 2016 will mark the Illinois Tournament Series' "Sam Snow Memorial - Holiday" Big 4 Carp Tournament at Joliet's DesPlaines River. This event will feature a Big 4 format.  Because daylight savings time will have ended, we will still have decent light in the morning, but sunset arrives early.  Therefore, the tournament will run from 7:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. (change in end time to beat the expected snow) with a 6:30 a.m. peg choice.  NOTE THE EARLIER END TIME.

Entry:  Entry is $20 for the tournament with 100% payout to winning anglers at a rate of 50% for 1st, 30% for 2nd, and 20% for 3rd for the Big 4 event.  The top three anglers will also receive medals.

ottawa2010_sam_grass.jpg

Optional Contest:  There will be an optional $10 contest for most carp caught with 100% payout to the top two anglers at a 60%-40% split. 

CAG Membership to highest placing Non-CAG Member:  $25 for a CAG membership will be awarded to the top finishing angler who has never been a CAG member!

Peg Choice Time and Place:  Peg choice will take place at 6:30 a.m. sharp at the parking lot just south of the Jefferson St. bridge.  If possible, please arrive a few minutes early for fee payment, waiver signature, scorecard distribution, meet and greet, etc.
14484614_1122364587830760_1285070117106207072_n.jpg

Number of rods:  Please note that three rods per angler will be allowed.  IDNR requires that the third rod is marked with your name and address.

Peg draw/choice procedures:  At  6:30 a.m. sharp, participating anglers will be part of a drawing to determine the order for peg choice. The order of this draw will be in the chronological order that anglers arrived at the venue.

The angler who draws the #1 chip will have first choice of pegs. The angler who draws the #2 chip will have second choice, and so on. Peg choices will be made in the order of chip numbers drawn.

Anglers arriving after 6:30 a.m. will draw, using the same format as the 6:30 a.m. draw, to determine choice of whatever pegs remain. There are no call-in peg choices, nor can someone choose for you in your absence. "You snooze, you lose."

sam_fred_robert_dennis.jpg

Available pegs:  Sixteen Bicentennial Park pegs on the west side of the river (1 through 16), 13 pegs on the east bank (17 through 24E), and 14 Jackson St. pegs (J1 through J 14) will be available.  That's 43 pegs from which to choose.  All pegs will be marked with numbered flags.  Be prepared to choose a peg at the peg choice procedure.  
14440731_1122364561164096_8459302874619849087_n.jpg
14359240_1122364581164094_4499220082997520448_n.jpg

Medals:  In addition to the monetary prizes, medals will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place angler, to the top two "Total Number of Carp" winners, and to a "specialty" category winner. The "specialty" category will be announced at peg draw.

Medals for this event are pictured below.  They include 2 3/4" diameter medals in gold, silver, and bronze for 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the Big 4 event.  Recipents will also receive 50%-30%-20% of the entry fees for their accomplishments. (Click on the images for a larger view)
medals_fall_2016_ICFN_082516.jpg 

Two inch medals will be awarded to the top two anglers in the optional Total Number of Carp contest at the tournament ($10 entry).  Recipients will also receive 60%-40% of the contest pot for their accomplishments.
medals_fall2016_optional_total_carp.jpg

A two-inch "Specialty Event" medal will be awarded to the angler at this event who comes closest to fulfilling the specialty event criteria (announced at peg choice).  For this tournament, the "specialty event" winner will also receive a small bait or tackle prize.
medals_fall2016_specialty.jpg

Free CAG Membership:  In addition, I will offer a check or paypal payment of $25 at each event to cover the cost of a CAG membership to the highest placing angler who has never been a CAG member.  Once you become a CAG member, PM (CAG Personal Messenger) me through this CAG forum system at FJR1, and I will ask  you for a mailing address to which I will send a $25 CAG membership reimbursement check, or I will ask for an e-mail address to which I will send a $25 CAG membership reimbursement Paypal payment.  It's your choice. 

020_iacob_sam_wacker.jpg

Permits, Approvals, Insurance, Waivers:   If you are new to the 2016 Fall events, you will be required to sign a waiver of liability prior to your participation.

Moving to Different Pegs:  Due to the length of this tournament, movement to an unoccupied peg may be made at anytime during the event (first come, first served).  However, only one move may be made during the duration of the tournament, and you may not return to your original peg.  

Fair Play, Witnessing Catches:  I am allowing weigh-ins on the buddy system and honor system.   An isolated angler (the only one in a section) may weigh his own fish on the honor system. All other catches (with two or more anglers in your section) must have a witness sign/initial the scorecard for each catch.  If you turn in a scorecard without witness' initials, the fish will not count.  All recordable fish must be released alive and in good condition.

Sign up on this thread if interested in participating on December 10.  Thanks for your consideration! —Dr. Frank Rink, Tournament organizer

Based on responses at the November 26 event, Chad Bettisch, Chuck Ferczok, Victor Zemeckis, Michael Zemeckis, and Frank Rink are currently committed to the December 10 event, so this tournament is a GO.  Post here if you wish to be included on the list of participants.  Thank you!

fred_sam.jpg

Chad Bettisch is in!  Thanks, Chad!  :yourock:
112616_chad_round_carp.thumb.jpg.0887057d358685efb045e39678e6ed33.jpg

Chuck Ferczok is in!  Thanks, Chuck!  :yourock:
112616_chuck_joliet_carp_1606.thumb.jpg.2d7b4b0ec5549736444de108f3931f8d.jpg

Victor Zemeckis is in!  Thanks, Victor!  :yourock:
112616_victor_prize.thumb.jpg.5d48d47199fe2ace191d39039911ab0d.jpg

Michael Zemeckis is in!  Thanks, Michael!  :yourock:
112616_michael_prize.thumb.jpg.f4c442197df36a8e2cdfa53a87ba06fc.jpg

Frank Rink is in!
joliet_111216_frank_1002.jpg

There are five (5) anglers participating, so far, in the December 10, 2016 "Sam Snow Memorial - Holiday" Big 4 Carp Tournament at Joliet:
Chad Bettisch
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Chuck Ferczok
Frank Rink

This tournament is a GO!  Sign up here if you want in!  Thanks!

2 hours ago, carphammer said:

I'm in for the 10th

Dave Marceau is in!  Thanks, Dave!  :yourock:
092416_dave_marceau_11+_sauk.jpg

There are six (6) anglers participating, so far, in the December 10, 2016 "Sam Snow Memorial - Holiday" Big 4 Carp Tournament at Joliet:
Chad Bettisch
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Chuck Ferczok
Dave Marceau
Frank Rink

4 hours ago, bailybird said:

Cory and Jr as of right now ....

Cory Bohmann is in!  Thanks, Cory!  :yourock:
joliet_111216_cory_1300.jpg

Cory Bohmann, Jr. is in!  Thanks, Cory!  :yourock:
cory_jr_1601_sauk.jpg

There are eight (8) anglers participating, so far, in the December 10, 2016 "Sam Snow Memorial - Holiday" Big 4 Carp Tournament at Joliet:
Chad Bettisch
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Chuck Ferczok
Dave Marceau
Cory Bohmann
Cory Bohmann, Jr.
Frank Rink

Bundle up, boys, and bring the shovels.  We are still eight days out, but the forecast calls for a high of 29° with possible snow showers.  The few days prior to the tournament are expected to see 3+ inches of snow.  Winter is here!
snow_night_peg 6_011115.jpg
snow_peg16.jpg

A great event for a great angler and bank side friend. Please make plans to attend. 

Jim Snyder and James Kraft are in!

Thank you, Jim!  :yourock:
jim_snyder_dawson.jpg

Thank you, James!  :yourock:
092416_jim_kraft_first_fish_sauk.jpg

There are ten (10) anglers participating, so far, in the December 10, 2016 "Sam Snow Memorial - Holiday" Big 4 Carp Tournament at Joliet:
Chad Bettisch
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Chuck Ferczok
Dave Marceau
Cory Bohmann
Cory Bohmann, Jr.
Jim Snyder
James Kraft
Frank Rink

Connor Reno is in!  Thank you, Connor!  :yourock:
1934421_501764293336556_889603555660579891_n.jpg

There are eleven (11) anglers participating, so far, in the December 10, 2016 "Sam Snow Memorial - Holiday" Big 4 Carp Tournament at Joliet:
Chad Bettisch
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Chuck Ferczok
Dave Marceau
Cory Bohmann
Cory Bohmann, Jr.
Jim Snyder
James Kraft
Connor Reno
Frank Rink

We probably had close to 5" of snow today, but with a little less than a week to go before the Dec. 10 tournament, there is no significant snow in the forecast, and temps in the mid-30's should melt most the the accumulated snow on Monday and Tuesday.  However, Saturday's forecast shows a high in the mid-20's at Joliet, so prepare accordingly.  Good luck!

Anthony Hartung is in!  Thank you, Anthony!  :yourock:
joliet_111216_anthony_hartung_pb_1505.jpg

There are twelve (12) anglers participating, so far, in the December 10, 2016 "Sam Snow Memorial - Holiday" Big 4 Carp Tournament at Joliet:
Chad Bettisch
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Chuck Ferczok
Dave Marceau
Cory Bohmann
Cory Bohmann, Jr.
Jim Snyder
James Kraft
Connor Reno
Anthony Hartung
Frank Rink

We are three days out and fortunate that the heavy snow won't arrive until Sunday, one day after the December 10, 2016 "Sam Snow Memorial - Holiday" Big 4 Carp Tournament at Joliet.  Nevertheless, it will be chilly with a high in the mid-20's.  Personally, I'll be picking a peg that will be close to a warm car.  Good luck!

Saturday's Accuweather forecast:

26°HIRealFeel® 21°Precipitation 25%

Cloudy and chilly
  • SSE 7 mph
  • Gusts: 12 mph

• Max UV Index: 1 (Low)
  • Thunderstorms: 0%
  • Precipitation: 0 in
  • Rain: 0 in
  • Snow: 0 in
  • Ice: 0 in
  • Hours of Precipitation: 0 hrs
  • Hours of Rain: 0 hrs

14 hours ago, Emilio Montoya said:

I'm in for the 10th!

Emilio Montoya is in.  Thank you, Emilio! :yourock:

There are thirteen (13) anglers participating, so far, in the December 10, 2016 "Sam Snow Memorial - Holiday" Big 4 Carp Tournament at Joliet:
Chad Bettisch
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Chuck Ferczok
Dave Marceau
Cory Bohmann
Cory Bohmann, Jr.
Jim Snyder
James Kraft
Connor Reno
Anthony Hartung
Emilio Montoya 
Frank Rink

sorry Frank, but I;m going to have to opt out for this tournament. I Threw my back out and can't ride in a car for very long.

Good luck to all the other anglers, may the big ones bless your nets!

1 hour ago, carphammer said:

sorry Frank, but I;m going to have to opt out for this tournament. I Threw my back out and can't ride in a car for very long.

Good luck to all the other anglers, may the big ones bless your nets!

No problem, Dave.  Hope you're feeling better soon.

There are twelve (12) anglers participating, so far, in the December 10, 2016 "Sam Snow Memorial - Holiday" Big 4 Carp Tournament at Joliet:
Chad Bettisch
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Chuck Ferczok
Cory Bohmann
Cory Bohmann, Jr.
Jim Snyder
James Kraft
Connor Reno
Anthony Hartung
Emilio Montoya 
Frank Rink

Most of you participating in the December 10 tournament are less than an hour from the venue.  However, with the snow expected to begin at 4:00 p.m. or so, I am going to end the tournament at 2:30 p.m. rather than 3:30 p.m. to give you a better chance to get home before the roads get slick.  The 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. time frame still gives us a seven hour contest.  Good luck.  Drive safely.

In addition, we are still looking at a high temperature for the day in the mid-20's with morning windchills coming close to single digits. There is no shame in dropping out due to the cold. Let me know if you need to drop. Thanks.--Frank

I just heard from  Cory.... he is sick and he and  Cory Jr. won't be able to make it  

1 hour ago, Chad said:

I just heard from  Cory.... he is sick and he and  Cory Jr. won't be able to make it  

Thanks for the information, Chad.

There are ten (10) anglers participating, so far, in the December 10, 2016 "Sam Snow Memorial - Holiday" Big 4 Carp Tournament at Joliet:
Chad Bettisch
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Chuck Ferczok
Jim Snyder
James Kraft
Connor Reno
Anthony Hartung
Emilio Montoya 
Frank Rink

Here is a summary of prizes for tomorrow's tournament.  The prizes will include some additional medals for specific categories:

Big 4 tournament:  Medals for this event are pictured below.  They include 2 3/4" diameter medals in gold, silver, and bronze for 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the Big 4 event.  Recipients placing 1-2-3 will also receive 50%-30%-20% of the entry fees for their accomplishments. (Click on the images for a larger view).  4th Place - Big 4:  A bag of incidentals similar to the one awarded for last fish will be awarded to the 4th place angler.
medals_fall_2016_ICFN_082516.jpg 

Total Number of Carp Tournament (Anglers can opt in our out of this event):  Two inch medals will be awarded to the top two anglers in the optional Total Number of Carp contest at the tournament ($10 entry).  Recipients placing 1-2 will also receive 60%-40% of the contest pot for their accomplishments.
medals_fall2016_optional_total_carp.jpg

Specialty Event:  A two-inch "Specialty Event" medal will be awarded to the angler at this event who comes closest to fulfilling the specialty event criteria.  For 12/10/16, the specialty event will be the carp caught closest to the end of the event - 2:30 p.m.)  For this tournament, the "specialty event" winner will also receive a small bag of incidentals (playing cards, coozies, pens, etc.).
medals_fall2016_specialty.jpg

Free CAG Membership: I will offer $25  to cover the cost of a CAG membership to the highest placing angler who has never been a CAG member.  Once you become a CAG member, PM (CAG Personal Messenger) me through this CAG forum system at FJR1, and I will ask  you for a mailing address to which I will send a $25 CAG membership reimbursement check, or I will ask for an e-mail address to which I will send a $25 CAG membership reimbursement Paypal payment.  It's your choice. 

Additional PRIZES:

The following fishing events just involve medals, but here are the categories:

Small Carp:  A medal will be awarded to the angler catching the small carp of the day.
121016+small_medal.jpg

Big Fish:  A medal will be awarded to the angler catching the big carp of the day!
121016_total_weight_medal.jpg

Total Weight:  A medal will be awarded to the angler having high total carp weight for the day (weigh all your fish).
121016_medal_total_weight.jpg

Best of luck.  See you in less than 24 hours.  Drive safely. --Frank

Larry Seeman is in.  Thank you, Larry! :yourock:
joliet_011616_larry_0703.jpg

There are eleven (11) anglers participating in the December 10, 2016 "Sam Snow Memorial - Holiday" Big 4 Carp Tournament at Joliet:
Chad Bettisch
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Chuck Ferczok
Jim Snyder
James Kraft
Connor Reno
Anthony Hartung
Emilio Montoya 
Larry Seeman
Frank Rink

This tournament is a GO!  See you soon!  Thanks!