Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Sign in to follow this  
FJR1

010117_fishin_banner.jpg

With CAG's First Fishing Folly around the corner and to change things up a bit at Joliet with a fish-in rather than a full-out tournament, I am seeking die-hard carp anglers to participate in Illinois' first, 2017, carp fish-in at the January 1, 2017 "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In to be held at Joliet's Jackson Street Venue from 12:00 midnight until 8:00 a.m.

What about celebrating the New Year with your significant other?  In the past for me, the wining and dining takes place just a little earlier in the evening, and then you greet FFF and midnight with a clear head, a clear conscience, and some motivation to catch some fish.
gallery_1929_219_155249.jpg

For those seeking a little more motivation to get themselves to an eight-hour fish-in in the middle of the night, there will be an optional, $10 entry, winner-take-all pot for most carp caught.

You need not be a CAG member to participate, but CAG members can "double-up" by participating in our Joliet fish-in while still competing for prizes in CAG's First Fishing Folly of 2017.  Click here to register for CAG's FFF 2017.
010117_jackson_cold.jpg

Sign up on this thread for the Sunday, January 1, 2017 "Happy New Year - FFF" Carp Fish-In at Joliet!

Participant Limit:   It can be brutally cold at Joliet's Jackson St. venue on January 1, especially in the middle of the night.  Although there are 14 pegs at Jackson St., there are eight that allow immediate access to your set-up from the warmth of your car.  I want all participants to have that option.  Therefore, Fish-In participation will be limited to the first eight anglers who sign-up.

Date, Peg Choice, Time Parameters for Tournament, Format:  Sunday, January 1, 2017 will mark the Illinois Tournament Series' "Happy New Year - FFF" Carp Fish-In at Joliet's DesPlaines River - Jackson Street venue. The tournament will run from 12:00 midnight until 8:00 a.m. with an 11:00 p.m. peg choice on Saturday, December 31, 2016.

If you get tired during the event, you can sleep in your car or you may leave at any time.  Fish-In medals will be held for you for distribution at a later date.

CAG's FFF runs simultaneously.  Of course you can stay later for the FFF or move to a different location after 8:00 a.m. to continue participation in the FFF.  The FFF concludes Sunday night at 11:59 p.m., so you still have most of the day to fish (if that is your choice).
cag_swims_jackson_bridge.jpg

Entry:  There is no entry fee, as this is a Fish-In.  See below if you want to participate in a small, optional contest.

Optional Contest:  There will be an optional $10 contest for most carp caught with a winner-take-all, 100% payout to the angler catching the most carp. 

Peg Choice Time and Place:  Peg choice will take place at 11:00 p.m. sharp at the Jackson Street venue's parking lot on the southwest corner of Jackson/Bridge St. and N. Joliet St. in Joliet, Illinois.  If possible, please arrive a few minutes early for waiver signature, scorecard distribution, meet and greet, etc.

Number of rods:  Please note that three rods per angler will be allowed.  IDNR requires that the third rod is marked with your name and address.

gallery_1929_219_233193.jpg

Peg draw/choice procedures:  At  11:00 p.m. sharp on December 31, participating anglers will be part of a drawing to determine the order for peg choice. The order of this draw will be in the chronological order that anglers arrived at the venue.

The angler who draws the #1 chip will have first choice of pegs. The angler who draws the #2 chip will have second choice, and so on. Peg choices will be made in the order of chip numbers drawn.

Anglers arriving after 11:00 p.m. will draw, using the same format as the 11:00 p.m. draw, to determine choice of whatever pegs remain. There are no call-in peg choices, nor can someone choose for you in your absence. "You snooze, you lose."
gallery_1929_219_103972.jpg

Available pegs:  Fourteen Jackson St. pegs (J1 through J 14) will be available.  Eight of those (J-1 through J-8) have immediate access to your warm vehicle, while the remaining six are within a few yards (3-30).  All pegs will be marked with numbered flags.  Be prepared to choose a peg at the peg choice procedure.  

14359240_1122364581164094_4499220082997520448_n.jpg

Fishing Procedures:  Unlike other events, you may begin chumming and even fishing at your peg immediately after peg choice.  Only carp hooked after 12:00 a.m. will count, but this will give you a chance to get acclimated to fishing in the cold/dark and also give you a chance to draw some fish to your area.

Of course, safe carp care is a must (CPR (catch/weigh-photo-release), unhooking mat, etc).  

Medals:  We will use CAG's FFF format at this Fish-In for award categories.  A total of 15 medals will be awarded at this fish-in!

Gold, silver, and bronze medals for 1st, 2nd, 3rd will be awarded in each of the following categories:

1.  The First Carp Award: First carp of 2017 caught during the "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet!  The time to be recorded is the time at which the fish is safely in the net.

2.  The Monster Award: Biggest carp caught during the "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet.

3. The Baby Award: Smallest carp caught during the "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet.

4. The Emperor Award: Total weight of all carp caught by the angler during the "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet

5. The FFF Scubadoc Mirror Award or Catfish Award: Biggest mirror  carp caught during the "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet (in honor of Dr. Neil Stern).  If mirrors aren't caught, the awards will go to biggest catfish, so weigh those as well.

Medals for each of the above-named categories are pictured below.  They are 2 3/4" diameter medals in gold, silver, and bronze for 1st, 2nd, 3rd in each of the five categories.   (Click on the images for a larger view)
medals_fall_2016_ICFN_082516.jpg 

A two-inch "Specialty Event" medal will be awarded to the angler at this event who wins the optional winner-take-all "Most-Carp-Caught" side-pot.
medals_fall2016_specialty.jpg

Waivers:   You will be required to sign a waiver of liability prior to your participation.

Moving to Different Pegs:  Due to the close proximity of pegs, moves will not be allowed during this fish-in.  After 8:00 a.m., you are free to move anywhere since the event is over (but CAG's FFF will still be in play). 

Fair Play, Witnessing Catches:  I am allowing weigh-ins on the buddy system, although I will have a centrally located scale available.   Catches must have a witness sign/initial the scorecard for each catch.  The only exception would be if your peg neighbors are asleep.  No sense in waking them.  If they are asleep, you may weigh on the honor system.  All recordable fish must be released alive and in good condition.
gallery_1929_219_47568.jpg

Permits and Insurance:  IDNR has approved the event.  Liability insurance has been purchased for 2017 and application for 2017 event approval has been submitted to the City of Joliet.  If problems arise with this process, I will let you know via this thread.  If the City of Joliet approval does not come through prior to January 1, the formal aspect of this event will be suspended.  Your presence will then indicate that you are an individual fishing on your own.

Food and Drink:  Bring your own food and drink if you get hungry/thirsty in the night.  If you run to a fast food place, please pull lines.

There will be no minimum participation numbers for this event.  It is a GO even if I am the only one there :D.  Good luck.  Hope to see you on Dec. 31/Jan. 1!

Sign up on this thread if interested in participating on January 1, 2017.  Thanks for your consideration! —Dr. Frank Rink, Fish-In organizer

5 hours ago, JYB said:

Frank , please sign me up.    Thanks.   Anthony Hartung 

Thanks, so much, Anthony.  Welcome to the 1/1/17 Fish-In!  :yourock:

Anthony Hartung is in!
fff2017_anthony_hartung.jpg.0b03049f79d0b4d6d993990e2d126640.jpg

Two anglers will be at the January 1, 2017 "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet's Jackson St. venue from midnight through 8:00 a.m.:
1.  Anthony Hartung
2.  Frank Rink

gallery_1929_219_103972.jpg

Six openings remain.  Sign up here if you want in!  Thanks for your consideration

1 hour ago, Chad said:

Sign me up please.

Thanks, so much, Chad.  Welcome to the 1/1/17 Fish-In!  :yourock:

Chad Bettisch is in!
112616_CHAD_15+.jpg

Three anglers, so far, will be at the January 1, 2017 "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet's Jackson St. venue from midnight through 8:00 a.m.:
1.  Anthony Hartung
2.  Chad Bettisch
3.  Frank Rink

Five openings remain.  Sign up here if you want in!  Thanks for your consideration

Larry Seeman and Jim Rink are in!

Thanks, so much, Larry and Jim.  Welcome to the 1/1/17 Fish-In!  :yourock:

Larry Seeman is in!
joliet110814_larry_15+.jpg

Jim Rink is in!
fff2015_jimrink_0910_244am.jpg

Five anglers, so far, will be at the January 1, 2017 "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet's Jackson St. venue from midnight through 8:00 a.m.:
1.  Anthony Hartung
2.  Chad Bettisch
3.  Larry Seeman
4.  Jim Rink
5.  Frank Rink

Just three openings remain.  Sign up here if you want in!  Thanks for your consideration

I just received, today, IDNR approval for the January 1, 2017 Fish-In at Joliet.  In addition, my application for liability insurance has been approved, and the policy has been received and paid for.  I have sent a copy of the insurance policy to Joliet for city approval of 2017 fish-ins and tournaments.  It looks as if all permits, insurances, and approvals will be in place well before our January 1, 2017 event.  

The long-term weather forecast is showing temps on January 1 similar to those we experienced on December 10, but with no snow.  Of course, forecasts this far out are seldom right.  Good luck to all! --Frank

1 hour ago, bailybird said:

I'm felling better thx I'm in 

Glad you're feeling better.  

Cory Bohmann is in.  :yourock:
362_cory.jpg

Six anglers, so far, will be at the January 1, 2017 "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet's Jackson St. venue from midnight through 8:00 a.m.:
1.  Anthony Hartung
2.  Chad Bettisch
3.  Larry Seeman
4.  Jim Rink
5.  Cory Bohmann
6.  Frank Rink

Just two openings remain.  Sign up here if you want in!  Thanks for your consideration.

Tony Donato is in!  Thanks, Tony!  :yourock:

Tony won't be wearing the clothes pictured below and the weather won't be nearly as nice as pictured, but Tony will be joining the midnight-to-8:00 a.m Hard Corps on 1/1/17!
13537682_10202258746225782_441375610940519171_n.thumb.jpg.d722fee1741be61dfd893c47616f89ca.jpg

That's an impressive turnout for an all-night event that usually sees below-0 windchills.  I thought just 3 or 4 would be a great turnout, but just one opening remains!  16 medals are up for grabs!

1.  Anthony Hartung
2.  Chad Bettisch
3.  Larry Seeman
4.  Jim Rink
5.  Cory Bohmann
6.  Tony Donato

7.  Frank Rink

p.s.  Thanks to Larry Seeman who will provide snow/ice removal services and some additional prizes for first carp of 2017!

p.p.s  If you're a CAG member and signed up for this event at Joliet, make sure you register for CAG's FFF that begins at the same time.  Cash prizes and certificates will be awarded!  Register here.

19 hours ago, carphammer said:

sign me up

Thanks, Dave!  :yourock:

Dave Marceau is in!
fff2017_dave_marceau.jpg

The field of eight is now full for the January 1, 2017 "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet's Jackson St.
1.  Anthony Hartung
2.  Chad Bettisch
3.  Larry Seeman
4.  Jim Rink
5.  Cory Bohmann
6.  Tony Donato
7.  Dave Marceau

8.  Frank Rink

I can start a waiting list in case someone has to drop out prior to Jan. 1.  Post here if you want on a waiting list.  Thanks to all who quickly signed up! --Frank

With a new Farm and Fleet having recently opened between my home and the venue, I will acquire some 50 lb. bags of whole corn and pre-bait the venue (all 14 pegs) for several days in advance of the January 1 Fish-in/FFF. 

Pegs J-1 through J-8 will be pre-baited a little more heavily as much of the chum will get downstream anyway.  Corn will be thrown via baiting spoon from 1 to 25 yards out at each peg. 

My plan is to buy four 50 lb. bags, and to chum one each on the morning of December 28, Dec. 29, and Dec. 30 (plus a half-bag the morning of Dec. 31).  I'll split the remaining 25 lbs. into eight, 3-pound bags, and distribute them to participants at the 11:00 p.m. peg draw for possible use (your choice) on 1/1/17:P.   Good luck to all! --Frank
14359240_1122364581164094_4499220082997520448_n.jpg.16cef2bb49a0cdd9b7b81ea67753974d-1.jpg

470143.jpg

4 hours ago, Chad said:

Very nice Frank.

Thank you, Chad.

I hope to see all eight anglers at the Jackson St. venue on January 1.  We are two weeks out, and the forecast for 1/1/17 at Joliet is cold but not bitter:  a high of 24°, sunny skies, and light wind.  More importantly, I don't see any snow or ice in the forecast for several days prior to the "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In.  

In addition, it's nice to see that, of the eight anglers participating in the Joliet Fish-In, five are also registered for CAG's FFF 2017.  If you're going to be up all night fishing in sub-freezing conditions, you might as well double up on chances for contest prizes.

Best of luck to all.  Have a great Christmas!  --Frank

We are about five days out, and the weather forecast has improved.  Saturday's high will be 43° with a January 1, 2017 high in the mid-30's.    The only issue may be some snow/sleet showers (not much, though) late Saturday into midnight Sunday.  Plan your trip accordingly and drive safely.  

It rained here last night, but that should get rid of the snow run-off, leaving us with some decent weekend conditions.   I'll start chumming field corn on Wednesday and continue daily through Saturday morning.  Good luck! --Frank

Rain and snow are now OUT of the forecast for Saturday and Sunday with the thermometer inching up for Sunday.  The high is now forecast for 40° with light winds.

Chumming starts tomorrow morning, December 28 for the January 1, 2017 "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet's Jackson St.  I was fortunate to find 200 pounds of cracked corn at Farm and Fleet.  The cracked corn will soften up more quickly and also causes the carp to search a little harder and stay in the swim a little longer.  It probably resembles our ground bait a little better than whole corn would, as well.  I'll check river conditions tomorrow and report on my findings.  --Frank
fff2017_corn.jpg

The first chumming session for the January 1, 2017 "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet's Jackson St. was completed around sunrise this morning, December 28.

The river looked very good for this time of year with a manageable current and no "chocolate milk" coloring.

Fifty pounds of cracked corn went into the swim this morning.  Each of the fourteen pegs got seven baiting-spoons of chum.

IMG_0855.jpg

I decided to chum all pegs equally.  The forecast for moderate weather with little, if any, snow now makes the mulched pegs (J-9 to J-14) realistic options.  I already flagged those pegs to make sure chum goes to the right place in each of the next three days.
IMG_0859.jpg

There are two piles of plowed snow at the south end of the parking lot, but you can still get to the mulched pegs from either end of the piles or between them.  There are 10 to 12 paces between each of the mulched pegs and two parking spaces between each of the J-3 to J-8 parking lot pegs.  
IMG_0857.jpg

There were a few small "icebergs" floating in the middle of the river, but we won't cast there anyway, and it was nothing like some years in which we experienced ice scraping the bank walls (and breaking off lines).
IMG_0860.jpg

Hope to see you Saturday/Sunday.  Drive safely.  If you're a CAG member, don't forget to register for FFF 2017! Thanks.  Good luck! --Frank
IMG_0856.jpg

Award medals are ready for 1/1/17!  Don't forget that 16 medals will be up for grabs at the January 1, 2017 Fish-In.

Gold, silver, and bronze medals for 1st, 2nd, 3rd will be awarded in each of the following categories:

1.  The First Carp Award: First carp of 2017 caught during the "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet!  The time to be recorded is the time at which the fish is safely in the net. 

2.  The Monster Award: Biggest carp caught during the "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet.

3. The Baby Award: Smallest carp caught during the "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet.

4. The Emperor Award: Total weight of all carp caught by the angler during the "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet

5. The FFF Scubadoc Mirror Award or Catfish Award: Biggest mirror  carp caught during the "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet (in honor of Dr. Neil Stern).  If mirrors aren't caught, the awards will go to biggest catfish, so weigh those as well.

Medals for each of the above-named categories are pictured below.  They are 2 3/4" diameter medals in gold, silver, and bronze for 1st, 2nd, 3rd in each of the five categories.  A two inch gold medal will be awarded to the angler who enters the optional pool relative to catching the most carp during the event.

010117_medals.jpg

1 hour ago, Chad said:

Nice work Frank 

Thanks, Chad!

Round 2 of "Operation Groundbait" was completed just prior to sunrise this morning, December 29.
joliet_dawn_steeples_122916.jpg

A brisk west wind didn't allow me to get the cracked corn out as far as I did yesterday, but past experience has taught me that you can catch carp close to the bank/wall overnight at Joliet.
jackson_bridge_dawn_122916.jpg

The water continues to look good.  I saw no icebergs this morning, but I also I saw no fish surfacing, so I am not sure what to make of that.  I would guess most of us will catch fish on 1/1/17 (I hope) at the "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet!
jackson_venue_122916.jpg

Best of luck! --Frank

The December 30 groundbaiting session for the January 1 "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In began at 0-dark-thirty this morning.  If the bite is light from midnight through 4:00 a.m. and if carp are creatures of habit, then things should pick up from 4:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. because that's been the usual "feeding-time" for the four days prior to the event.
joliet_b.jpg

With 40 hours out, Accuweather is calling for 24° at midnight at Joliet on 1/1/17, with a light WSW wind of 5 mph.  That temperature will be holding fairly steadily until 8:00 a.m.   If you fish beyond 8:00 a.m., Joliet will see a high of 41° on Sunday.  
joliet_venue_a.jpg

Scorecards and waiver forms are ready.  I'll chum half a 50 pound bag on Saturday and distribute three-pound bags on 12/31/16 for your use if you wish.  Best of luck. --Frank
joliet_venue_c.jpg

Jim Rink decided to stay in Kansas for the FFF.  Victor Zemeckis is next up if he wants in.  Let me know, Victor.  Thanks. --Frank

The field of eight for the January 1, 2017 "Happy New Year - FFF" Fish-In at Joliet's Jackson St. is as follows:
1.  Anthony Hartung
2.  Chad Bettisch
3.  Larry Seeman
4.  Cory Bohmann
5.  Tony Donato
6.  Dave Marceau
7.  Victor Zemeckis (if he wants in)

8.  Frank Rink

Thanks to all for signing up! --Frank