Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Ray Nickel

Your most preferred Mainline

Hello All,

I am back after a long time away. My big question at this time is what mainline and lb. test you most prefer and suggest.

I rarely have to cast very far for my carpin, so distance casting isn't something I don't need to worry much about. And the average size carp I catch are between 7lbs. -12lbs. With the occasional 15lber. 

I  currently use 15lb. Berkeley Big Game which has served me well. Just wanted to see if you guys feel that is a good choice or if you suggest something else.

One thing I have ran into, is the carp hitting my line. What things would you most prefer to combat this:

1. A length of sink tubing on the line?

2. A Backlead

or

3. A sinking mono like Korda Subline?

Sorry, I know that is a lot of questions, I've just been thinking about these things for a while.

Thankyou all and have a wonderfull day!

Ray

Thanks greatly guys!

I use Hi Seas Black Widow 16lb test. Just about the same diameter as 12lb. 

Thanku all very much!

Berkley Big Game 15lb. works for me. Breaks at 21-22lbs.

Thanks for posting where it breaks at Possum? I didn't know that. I knew it was strong, but that is cool!

Lime Green Spectra 30 lb. braid for all carp I've caught.  Green sharpie to the first 15 yards of line as the combo was for catfish.  Don't know if the moss green makes a difference.

For both my mainline and leader I use 30lb power pro braid in moss green color. Since I fish mostly in snaggy, muddy rivers braid is the best option. 

Edited by Lizardman529
"Shaggy" - not snaggy (autocorrect!!)

I use 20 lb moss green Spiderwire stealth braid for all my carp fishing and it has never let me down. As for sinking your line, either method is fine except I would never use a back lead unless I absolutely had to to avoid boats. Putting a back lead on your line may seem like it's a good idea but it drastically hinders your bite indication by creating a steep angle in the line. When this angle is created any indication or movement down by the hook will be registered at the back lead far before the tip of your rod allowing the carp to get away with a lot more movement, once they've picked up your hook bait, than otherwise not using a back lead.