Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Sign in to follow this  
FJR1

"January Thaw Big 4 Carp Tournament"
Saturday, January 21, 2017
7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (6:30 a.m. peg draw) 

Bicentennial Park - Joliet, IL

012117_january_thaw_banner.jpg

Believe it or not, Accuweather is calling for a high in the 50's at Joliet on Saturday, January 21, 2017, even though there may be a little rain mixed in.  That forecast calls for a carp tournament! 

Sign up on this thread for the Saturday, January 21, 2017 "January Thaw" Big 4 Carp Tournament at Joliet!

Date, Peg Choice, Time Parameters for Tournament, Format:  Saturday, January 21, 2017 will mark the Illinois Tournament Series' "January Thaw" Big 4 Carp Tournament at Joliet's DesPlaines River. This event will feature a Big 4 format.  The tournament will run from 7:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. 

Entry:  Entry is $20 for the tournament with 100% payout to winning anglers at a rate of 50% for 1st, 30% for 2nd, and 20% for 3rd for the Big 4 event.  The top three anglers will also receive medals.

Optional Contest:  There will be an optional $10 contest for most carp caught with 100% payout to the top two anglers at a 60%-40% split. 

CAG Membership to highest placing Non-CAG Member:  $25 for a CAG membership will be awarded to the top finishing angler who has never been a CAG member!

Peg Choice Time and Place:  Peg choice will take place at 6:30 a.m. sharp at the parking lot just south of the Jefferson St. bridge.  If possible, please arrive a few minutes early for fee payment, waiver signature, scorecard distribution, meet and greet, etc.
14484614_1122364587830760_1285070117106207072_n.jpg

Number of rods:  Please note that three rods per angler will be allowed.  IDNR requires that the third rod is marked with your name and address.

Peg draw/choice procedures:  At  6:30 a.m. sharp, participating anglers will be part of a drawing to determine the order for peg choice. The order of this draw will be in the chronological order that anglers arrived at the venue.

The angler who draws the #1 chip will have first choice of pegs. The angler who draws the #2 chip will have second choice, and so on. Peg choices will be made in the order of chip numbers drawn.

Anglers arriving after 6:30 a.m. will draw, using the same format as the 6:30 a.m. draw, to determine choice of whatever pegs remain. There are no call-in peg choices, nor can someone choose for you in your absence. "You snooze, you lose."

Available pegs:  Sixteen Bicentennial Park pegs on the west side of the river (1 through 16), 13 pegs on the east bank (17 through 24E), and 14 Jackson St. pegs (J1 through J 14) will be available.  That's 43 pegs from which to choose.  All pegs will be marked with numbered flags.  Be prepared to choose a peg at the peg choice procedure.  
14440731_1122364561164096_8459302874619849087_n.jpg
14359240_1122364581164094_4499220082997520448_n.jpg

Medals:  In addition to the monetary prizes, medals will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place angler, to the top two "Total Number of Carp" winners, and to a "specialty" category winner. The "specialty" category will be announced at peg draw.

Medals for this event are pictured below.  They include 2 3/4" diameter medals in gold, silver, and bronze for 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the Big 4 event.  Recipents will also receive 50%-30%-20% of the entry fees for their accomplishments. (Click on the images for a larger view)
medals_fall_2016_ICFN_082516.jpg 

Two inch medals will be awarded to the top two anglers in the optional Total Number of Carp contest at the tournament ($10 entry).  Recipients will also receive 60%-40% of the contest pot for their accomplishments.
medals_fall2016_optional_total_carp.jpg

A two-inch "Specialty Event" medal will be awarded to the angler at this event who comes closest to fulfilling the specialty event criteria (announced at peg choice).  For this tournament, the "specialty event" winner will also receive a small bait or tackle prize.
medals_fall2016_specialty.jpg

Free CAG Membership:  In addition, I will offer a check or paypal payment of $25 at each event to cover the cost of a CAG membership to the highest placing angler who has never been a CAG member.  Once you become a CAG member, PM (CAG Personal Messenger) me through this CAG forum system at FJR1, and I will ask  you for a mailing address to which I will send a $25 CAG membership reimbursement check, or I will ask for an e-mail address to which I will send a $25 CAG membership reimbursement Paypal payment.  It's your choice.

Permits, Approvals, Insurance, Waivers:   If you are new to the 2017events, you will be required to sign a waiver of liability prior to your participation.  Those who signed the 2017 waiver at the January 1 fish-in are good for the year at my events.  I have received approval from Joliet for all tournament dates listed on my 2017 Insurance Liability policy (1/21/17 is among those dates).  IDNR approval for this date is forthcoming.

Moving to Different Pegs:  Due to the length of this tournament, movement to an unoccupied peg may be made at anytime during the event (first come, first served).  In addition, there will be no limit to the number of times you may move.  However, you may not move back to a peg you had previously occupied.  

Fair Play, Witnessing Catches:  I am allowing weigh-ins on the buddy system and honor system.   An isolated angler (the only one in a section) may weigh his own fish on the honor system. All other catches (with two or more anglers in your section) must have a witness sign/initial the scorecard for each catch.  If you turn in a scorecard without witness' initials, the fish will not count.  All recordable fish must be released alive and in good condition.

Sign up on this thread if interested in participating on January 21, 2017.  I'll need at least four anglers to make this a GO.  Thanks for your consideration! —Dr. Frank Rink, Tournament organizer

Hi Frank ,

.                  Please sign me up ,

Anthony Hartung 

1 minute ago, JYB said:

Hi Frank ,

.                  Please sign me up ,

Anthony Hartung 

Great!  Thanks, Anthony!  :yourock:

Anthony Hartung is in!
fff2017_anthony_010117.jpg

Frank Rink is in.
fff2017_frank_0615_0853.jpg

Just two more anglers are needed to make this a GO!

Participants, so far, in January 21, 2017 "January Thaw" Big 4 Tournament at Joliet:

Anthony Hartung
Frank Rink

21 minutes ago, Emilio said:

Sinn me up frank 

Thanks, Emilio!  Glad to see you back! :yourock:

Just one more angler is needed to make this a GO!

Participants, so far, in January 21, 2017 "January Thaw" Big 4 Tournament at Joliet:

Emilio Montoya
Anthony Hartung
Frank Rink

4 hours ago, bailybird said:

I'm in 

Thanks, Cory!   :yourock:

fff2017_cory_0709_0330.jpg

This event is now officially a GO!

Cory Bohmann
Emilio Montoya
Anthony Hartung
Frank Rink

Connor Reno is in.  Thanks, Connor!   :yourock:

joliet_111216_connor_reno_1004.jpg

This event is officially a GO!

Connor Reno
Cory Bohmann
Emilio Montoya
Anthony Hartung
Frank Rink

Larry Seeman is in.  Thanks, Larry!   :yourock:

584fca57db830_joliet110814_larry_15.thumb.jpg.d6053fd2e4a3bc53122f7995cc924e2c.jpg

This event is officially a GO!

Larry Seeman
Connor Reno
Cory Bohmann
Emilio Montoya
Anthony Hartung
Frank Rink

8 hours ago, Justin Von Hinkeldey said:

Is there still enough room for the tournament. If so sign me up.

Yes, there's plenty of room.  Thanks, Justin.  You're in. :yourock:
16114521_827671817383382_1324943252741402895_n.jpg.6c02faa69be31f41b83ae98a7fc9310a.jpg

Check tournament parameters in this thread's first post for peg draw time and location.

Justin Von Hinkleday
Larry Seeman

Connor Reno
Cory Bohmann
Emilio Montoya
Anthony Hartung
Frank Rink

Illinois DNR had approved our January 21 tournament:
Your tournament application for DES PLAINES/KANKAKEE has been approved by the IDNR Division of Fisheries.

NOTE: Site specific regulations apply for length and creel limits.

NOTE: Youth tournaments have a 12 inch minimum length and a 5 bass per boat limit.

Your tournament Details: 
APPROVED: APPROVE 
ID: 5987 
Date: 01-21-2017 through 01-21-2017 
Start Time: 730:00 
Species: Common Carp

The city of Joliet approved the event several weeks ago when our certificate of liability insurance was submitted.

We are good to go!

A few reminders:

1.  Peg choice at 6:30 a.m. sharp at pegs 6-7.

2.  Three rods allowed (mark 3rd with name/address).

3.  $20 entry fee for Big 4 tournament distributed at 50%, 30%, 20% with medals to top three finishers.

4.  CAG membership (funded by tourney organizer) to highest placing non-CAG member.

5.  $10 optional contest for most carp, distributed at 60%-40% and medals if 7 or more participate.  It will be winner-take-all and medal if six or fewer participate.

6.  Fishing from 7:30 until 4:00.

7.  Move to new location as many times as you wish.

8.  Bait/tackle prize and medal for last carp of the day.

9.  Bring your own food/drink for lunch/snacks.

10.  Practice appropriae carp care (mats, quick release) Good luck!

sign me up

Sorry fellas I'm working ot all weekend I'm out just too busy 

7 hours ago, carphammer said:

sign me up

Thanks, Dave.   :yourock:

Dave Marceau is in!
joliet_111216_dave_marceau_first.jpg

Dave Marceau
Justin Von Hinkleday
Larry Seeman

Connor Reno
Emilio Montoya
Anthony Hartung
Frank Rink

Latest Joliet forecast for Saturday:  No rain.  High of 57°, cloudy, with light S/SSE breezes.

"Thank you" to the seven anglers who have committed to the January 21, 2017 "January Thaw" Big 4 Tournament at Joliet.  That's a decent turnout for a mid-January event in northern Illinois.  

The forecast will hold!  We will see a low of 46° at 6:00 a.m. and a high of 57° by mid-afternoon (57° will set a record high by over 10°).  It might be a bit foggy in the morning, so drive safely.  I haven't been to the river recently, so I don't know what the recent rains have done to it.  However, we have few enough anglers, so the protection of the Jackson slip will be available for pegs J-1 through J-9 or so if you care not to fight current at pegs downstream.

A new, heavy duty alarms/tackle luggage pack will be awarded as the specialty event prize for last carp of the day.

If one angler doesn't show (causing a six-angler tournament), the Big 4 prizes will revert to first and second place (60%-40% split of entries) instead of the usual 50-30-20 split, and the optional total carp pool will be winner take all instead of the usual 60-40 split.

Reminders:
6:30 a.m. peg choice at pegs 6-7.
Fishing from 7:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
$20 entry with $10 optional pot for total # of carp.
I'll fund a CAG membership for the highest placing non-CAG member (who has never been a member).
Three rods allowed.
You may move to unoccupied pegs as many times as you wish throughout the day.

Good luck.  I hope to see Dave Marceau, Justin Von Hinkleday, Larry Seeman, Connor Reno, Emilio Montoya, and Anthony Hartung at 6:30 in Joliet.  Drive safely. --Frank