Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

FJR1

WE ARE FULL! - March 25 "Spring Has Sprung" Big 3 Carp Tournament at Joliet, IL

Entries are now closed as we have reached 20 participants!
Victor Zemeckis 
Michael Zemeckis 

Anthony Hartung 
Connor Reno 
Larry Seeman 
Chad Bettisch 
Tony Donato 
Emilio Montoya 
Cory Bohmann 
Ronnie Harding 
Kris Pribyl 
Nick Schutzenhofer 
Josh Pins 
Jim Baker 
Fred Rhodes 
Eddie Cobb 
Mike Olinger 
Tracy Jourdan 
Charles Thomas
Frank Rink 

"Spring Has Sprung" Big 3 Carp Tournament
Saturday, March 25, 2017
7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (6:30 a.m. peg draw) 

Bicentennial Park - Joliet, IL

032517_tournament_banner.jpg

Spring will be here by March 25!  There is no guarantee of pre-spawn carp, singing birds or sprouting flowers, but it gives us an opportunity to get back on the bank after a long winter!

Sign up on this thread for the Saturday, March 25, 2017 "Spring Has Sprung" Big 3 Carp Tournament at Joliet!

Date, Peg Choice, Time Parameters for Tournament, Format:  Saturday, March 25, 2017 will mark the Illinois Tournament Series' "Spring Has Sprung" Big 3 Carp Tournament at Joliet's DesPlaines River. This event will feature a Big 3 format.  The tournament will run from 7:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. 

Entry:  Entry is $20 for the tournament with 100% payout to winning anglers at a rate of 50% for 1st, 30% for 2nd, and 20% for 3rd for the Big 3 event.  The top three anglers will also receive medals.

Optional Contest:  There will be an optional $10 contest for most carp caught with 100% payout to the top two anglers at a 60%-40% split. 

CAG Membership to highest placing Non-CAG Member:  $25 for a CAG membership will be awarded to the top finishing angler who has never been a CAG member!

Peg Choice Time and Place:  Peg choice will take place at 6:30 a.m. sharp at the parking lot just south of the Jefferson St. bridge.  If possible, please arrive a few minutes early for fee payment, waiver signature, scorecard distribution, meet and greet, etc.
14484614_1122364587830760_1285070117106207072_n.jpg

Number of rods:  Please note that three rods per angler will be allowed.  IDNR requires that the third rod is marked with your name and address.

Peg draw/choice procedures:  At  6:30 a.m. sharp, participating anglers will be part of a drawing to determine the order for peg choice. The order of this draw will be in the chronological order that anglers arrived at the venue.

The angler who draws the #1 chip will have first choice of pegs. The angler who draws the #2 chip will have second choice, and so on. Peg choices will be made in the order of chip numbers drawn.

Anglers arriving after 6:30 a.m. will draw, using the same format as the 6:30 a.m. draw, to determine choice of whatever pegs remain. There are no call-in peg choices, nor can someone choose for you in your absence. "You snooze, you lose."

Available pegs:  Sixteen Bicentennial Park pegs on the west side of the river (1 through 16), 13 pegs on the east bank (17 through 24E), and 12 Jackson St. pegs (J3 through J 14) will be available.  Jackson St. pegs 1 and 2 will not be used because this is the time of year when current and water clarity could be an issue and those two pegs have too much of an unfair advantage over others.  That's 41 pegs from which to choose.  Be prepared to choose a peg at the peg choice procedure.  
14440731_1122364561164096_8459302874619849087_n.jpg
14359240_1122364581164094_4499220082997520448_n.jpg

Medals:  In addition to the monetary prizes, medals will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place angler, to the top two "Total Number of Carp" winners, and to a "specialty" category winner. The "specialty" category will be announced at peg draw.

Medals for this event are pictured below.  They include 2 3/4" diameter medals in gold, silver, and bronze for 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the Big 4 event.  Recipents will also receive 50%-30%-20% of the entry fees for their accomplishments. (Click on the images for a larger view)
medals_fall_2016_ICFN_082516.jpg 

Two inch medals will be awarded to the top two anglers in the optional Total Number of Carp contest at the tournament ($10 entry).  Recipients will also receive 60%-40% of the contest pot for their accomplishments.
medals_fall2016_optional_total_carp.jpg

A two-inch "Specialty Event" medal will be awarded to the angler at this event who comes closest to fulfilling the specialty event criteria (announced at peg choice).  For this tournament, the "specialty event" winner will also receive a small bait or tackle prize.
medals_fall2016_specialty.jpg

Free CAG Membership:  In addition, I will offer a check or paypal payment of $25 at each event to cover the cost of a CAG membership to the highest placing angler who has never been a CAG member.  Once you become a CAG member, PM (CAG Personal Messenger) me through this CAG forum system at FJR1, and I will ask  you for a mailing address to which I will send a $25 CAG membership reimbursement check, or I will ask for an e-mail address to which I will send a $25 CAG membership reimbursement Paypal payment.  It's your choice.

Permits, Approvals, Insurance, Waivers:   If you are new to the 2017events, you will be required to sign a waiver of liability prior to your participation.  Those who have already signed the 2017 waiver are good for the year at my events.  I have received approval from Joliet for all tournament dates listed on my 2017 Insurance Liability policy (3/25/17 is among those dates).  IDNR approval for this date is already pending and should be finalized well before March 25.

Moving to Different Pegs:  If you don't like the peg you initially choose, movement to an unoccupied peg may be made at anytime during the event (first come, first served).  In addition, there will be no limit to the number of times you may move.  However, you may not move back to a peg you had previously occupied.  

Fair Play, Witnessing Catches:  I am allowing weigh-ins on the buddy system and honor system.   An isolated angler (the only one in a section) may weigh his own fish on the honor system. All other catches (with two or more anglers in your section) must have a witness sign/initial the scorecard for each catch.  If you turn in a scorecard without witness' initials, the fish will not count.  All recordable fish must be released alive and in good condition.

Sign up on this thread if interested in participating on March 25, 2017.  I'll need at least four anglers to make this a GO.  Hope you can make it.  Thanks for your consideration! 
—Dr. Frank Rink, Tournament Organizer

Victor Zemeckis is in!  Thank you, Victor!  :yourock:

victor.jpg

Frank Rink is in.
atc2017_frank_2402.thumb.jpg.85ae1fa5f091badc7f39ce7d74f1fbbd.jpg

Participants, so far:
Victor Zemeckis
Frank Rink

Michael Zemeckis is in!  Thank you, Michael!  :yourock:

michael.jpg

Participants, so far:
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Frank Rink

Anthony Hartung is in!  Thank you, Anthony!  :yourock:

fff2017_anthony_010117.jpg

Participants, so far:
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Anthony Hartung
Frank Rink

With four anglers, this event is a GO!

Connor Reno is in!  Thank you, Connor!  :yourock:
connor_12+_012117.jpg

Participants, so far:
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Anthony Hartung
Connor Reno
Frank Rink

7 hours ago, Chad said:

Count me in

Thank you, Chad!  Chad Bettisch is in! :yourock:
112616_chad_round_carp.thumb.jpg.0887057d358685efb045e39678e6ed33.jpg

Participants, so far:
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Anthony Hartung
Connor Reno
Chad Bettisch
Frank Rink

Larry Seeman is in!  Thank you, Larry!  :yourock:
joliet_011616_larry_0703.jpg
Participants, so far:
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Anthony Hartung
Connor Reno
Chad Bettisch
Larry Seeman
Frank Rink

Tony Donato is in!  Thank you, Tony!  :yourock:
13537682_10202258746225782_441375610940519171_n.thumb.jpg.9d2d20c1a3aa659206faf9bb0298bd10.jpg
Participants, so far:
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Anthony Hartung
Connor Reno
Chad Bettisch
Larry Seeman
Tony Donato
Frank Rink

17 minutes ago, Emilio said:

I'm in 

Thank you, Emilio!  Emilio Montoya is in!    :yourock:
emilio_montoya.jpg
Participants, so far:
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Anthony Hartung
Connor Reno
Chad Bettisch
Larry Seeman
Tony Donato
Emilio Montoya
Frank Rink

Hi Frank

What's the winds like there usually?.......I'm very tempted to take the 7 hour drive but my techniques are a little different......I "needs" mostly protected spots away from anything more than a wisp/breeze......:P....

......a couple more from this weekend......:D

IMG_9144[1].JPGIMG_9178[1].JPG

9 hours ago, FJR1 said:

Thank you, Emilio!  Emilio Montoya is in!    :yourock:
emilio_montoya.jpg
Participants, so far:
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Anthony Hartung
Connor Reno
Chad Bettisch
Larry Seeman
Tony Donato
Emilio Montoya
Frank Rink

Count me in

8 hours ago, MOCarper said:

Hi Frank

What's the winds like there usually?.......I'm very tempted to take the 7 hour drive but my techniques are a little different......I "needs" mostly protected spots away from anything more than a wisp/breeze......:P....

......a couple more from this weekend......:D

IMG_9144[1].JPGIMG_9178[1].JPG

Dr. Kirk--The winds can be brutal and the river like chocolate milk in late March at Joliet.  I am hoping for a day in which we, at least, have a chance.  There are some pegs protected from winds, and you are always welcome.  However, if you are going to make that long drive, I'd suggest a time (late spring/early fall) when the chances of catching are much greater.  Nice weekend fish! --Frank

8 hours ago, bailybird said:

Count me in

Thank you, Cory!  Cory Bohmann is in!    :yourock:
joliet_111216_cory_1300.jpg

Participants, so far:
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Anthony Hartung
Connor Reno
Chad Bettisch
Larry Seeman
Tony Donato
Emilio Montoya
Cory Bohmann
Frank Rink

Ronnie Harding and Kris Pribyl are in.  Thank you, Ronnie and Kris!     :yourock:
Participants, so far:
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Anthony Hartung
Connor Reno
Chad Bettisch
Larry Seeman
Tony Donato
Emilio Montoya
Cory Bohmann
Ronnie Harding
Kris Pribyl
Frank Rink

By the way, so as no one is surprised by the change and if you read the rules for this event carefully, you will find that Jackson St. pegs 1 and 2 will not be used because this is the time of year when current and water clarity could be an issue. Those two pegs would have too much of an unfair advantage over others.

Nick Schutzenhofer and Josh Pins are in.  Thank you, Nick and Josh! :yourock: 

Participants, so far (14):
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Anthony Hartung
Connor Reno
Chad Bettisch
Larry Seeman
Tony Donato
Emilio Montoya
Cory Bohmann
Ronnie Harding
Kris Pribyl
Nick Schutzenhofer
Josh Pins

Frank Rink

The event will be limited to 20 anglers.  Six openings remain!

By the way, IDNR approved our March 25 tournament on February 28:

Hello Francis Rink 

Your tournament application for DES PLAINES/KANKAKEE has been approved by the IDNR Division of Fisheries.

NOTE: Site specific regulations apply for length and creel limits.

NOTE: Youth tournaments have a 12 inch minimum length and a 5 bass per boat limit.

Your tournament Details: 
APPROVED: APPROVE 
ID: 6531 
Date: 03-25-2017 through 03-25-2017 
Start Time: 7:00 
Species: Common Carp 
Ramp Location: No ramp needed. This is a bank tournament. 
Weigh-in Location: Individual peg locations on the river

For those new to our Illinois Tournament Series carp tournaments, please be aware of the following:
1.  A valid Illinois license is required.  Your 2016 license will still be good for this event (2016 licenses expire on March 31).
2.  Proper carp care is critical (no treble hooks; brinh a knotless. carp-friendly net; bring an unhooking mat (something soft on which to lay your netted fish); quickly weigh, verify, photograph, and release.
3.  Three rods are allowed.  Mark 3rd rod with name and address.
4.  Be at the Bluff St. location (pegs 6-7) by 6:30 a.m.  Try to get there a little early if you have not signed a waiver for 2017.
5.  Be prepared to choose a peg when your number is called.  If you need help choosing, just ask.
6.  Fishing is from 7:30 though 5:00.  Meet back at the peg draw location for awards.

Thanks!

Jim Kraft is in for this event.   Also, I have talked to Jim Snyder, who cannot make it, and I will be delivering T-shirts and sweatshirts that were ordered from him so plan on picking them up from me and I will pass along your payment to Jim Snyder.

I just talked to Fred Rhodes and he and Eddie Cobb are planning on being there.

1 hour ago, James Kraft said:

Jim Kraft is in for this event.   Also, I have talked to Jim Snyder, who cannot make it, and I will be delivering T-shirts and sweatshirts that were ordered from him so plan on picking them up from me and I will pass along your payment to Jim Snyder.

Thank you Jim!  Jim Kraft is in!  :yourock:
IMG_1114.jpg.5d0e5102403c2032bd4d5fab708ab26f.jpg

Participants, so far (15):
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Anthony Hartung
Connor Reno
Chad Bettisch
Larry Seeman
Tony Donato
Emilio Montoya
Cory Bohmann
Ronnie Harding
Kris Pribyl
Nick Schutzenhofer
Josh Pins
Jim Kraft

Frank Rink

The event will be limited to 20 anglers.  Five openings remain!

1 hour ago, James Kraft said:

I just talked to Fred Rhodes and he and Eddie Cobb are planning on being there.

Thank you, Jim, and thank you, Fred and Eddie!  Fred Rhodes and Eddie Cobb are in in!  :yourock:
wccl_061211_fred_1608.jpg
eddie_13+_kewanee_oct2016.jpg

Participants, so far (17):
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Anthony Hartung
Connor Reno
Chad Bettisch
Larry Seeman
Tony Donato
Emilio Montoya
Cory Bohmann
Ronnie Harding
Kris Pribyl
Nick Schutzenhofer
Josh Pins
Jim Kraft
Fred Rhodes
Eddie Cobb

Frank Rink

The event will be limited to 20 anglers.  Just three openings remain!

Mike Olinger is in!   Thanks, Mike! :yourock:
joliet_111216_mike_1603.jpg

Participants, so far (18):
Victor Zemeckis
Michael Zemeckis
Anthony Hartung
Connor Reno
Chad Bettisch
Larry Seeman
Tony Donato
Emilio Montoya
Cory Bohmann
Ronnie Harding
Kris Pribyl
Nick Schutzenhofer
Josh Pins
Jim Kraft
Fred Rhodes
Eddie Cobb
Mike Olinger

Frank Rink

The sign-up will be limited to 19 anglers as I am holding one spot for Tony Stout.  Just one opening remains!

Hello Dr. Kirk,

I am Frank's brother...Jim Rink.

I moved to Leawood, KS about a year ago...and haven't had the time to find good carp fishing spots in the KC area.

Do you have any suggesetions?

Jim Rink