Carp Anglers Group Forums
FJR1

ATC 2017 Summary

Austin Team Championship (ATC) 2017 Summary
by Frank Rink

atc_logo_2017.jpg

It’s been a week since ATC 2017, and there have been snippets of information here and there on this CAG forum; so I thought I’d consolidate some of that, add a few pieces of missing results, and put together a brief summary of the ATC for 2017.

First and foremost, plaudits must go to the organizers and sponsors!  So, before ATC 2017 becomes a distant memory, I want to offer huge thanks to the Austin Carp Anglers, CAG, Chad Woolard (head honcho with a great sense of humor), Lyndsey Woolard, Eric Bourquin, Kevin Olivier, Bubba Staton, Keith Thompson, Willem van Schalkwyk and all involved in the organization of ATC 2017 for a well-run, enjoyable tournament at a world-class venue! 

Big thanks to the generous sponsors who provided some wonderful prizes!  My apologies to those I may have overlooked, but I heard the following sponsor names during the awards ceremony:  Big Carp Tackle, Austin Carp Anglers, Saxon, Wacker Baits, Trilogy Baits, and, of course, the Carp Anglers Group (CAG).

Special thanks to professional photographer Kevin Olivier (also a carp angler and ACA member) for posting most of the following pics of ATC 2017 catches, teams, and winners.  We’ll overlook the fact that he uses Nikon (instead of Canon) equipment, because his photos are simply outstanding!  Thanks, Kevin! 

Upon the arrival of ATC participants at the Wydham in Austin, registration procedure went smoothly on Wednesday, February 22.  It was highlighted by a delicious brisket barbecue dinner with fixings prepared by Chad and Lyndsey Woolard.  Compliments to the chefs!

The only hitch in the Wednesday evening festivities occurred when a gentleman with a Napoleon complex and a little too much to drink came out from his casita and tried to entice a fight.  Eric Bourquin, towering over the little Napoleon, could have ended it quickly, but Eric handled the incident with class and restraint (Thanks, also, to Eric, for being a great peg neighbor on day 1).  The evening’s events quickly returned to normal.
eric.jpg

Day 1 of actual fishing saw 25 ATC teams experience highs in the mid-80’s with sunny skies and light SSW winds.  Those on the NW end of the venue had to deal with some strong currents at times, but there were few, if any, blank sessions.

I might add that the people of Austin who would walk/jog/bike behind our pegs on paths and trails or who would row/paddle/swim in front of our pegs in the waters of Lady Bird Lake were extremely courteous and friendly.
paddleboard.jpg

Even when you could tell, by the look in the eye of some, that they were wondering why someone would travel from considerable distance to fish for carp, our visitors were always pleasant, always interested, often willing to share their own fishing stories, and always left with a smile or a “good luck” to offer.
path_lamar.jpg

Day 2 had all of us arrive, on time, to the 5:30 a.m. peg draw with anticipation for another great day of carp fishing.  Temperatures weren’t quite as warm with highs at about 80.  The wind was a bit stronger as it swung around from the SW and was nearer NW by the end of our 12-hour session.
lake_lamar_bridge.jpg

7:00 p.m. came on Friday, February 24, and it was time to pack up and head to Threadgills Restaurant for awards.  We were treated to a nice dinner with several entree choices.  Following our meal, Chad Woolard served as an outstanding emcee during the ceremony.

ATC 2017 became a Big 6 event this year, and that gave anglers hope no matter where they stood early or late into the competition.  However, fishing from peg 18, Jake Downing and Chad Edwards pretty much ended the competition for first place at the conclusion of day 1. In fact, Team Rip Off Baits could have skipped day two and still easily won the event.  Needless to say, Jake and Chad were our ATC 2017 tournament champions!  Their average weight exceeded 30 pounds at a whopping 30 pounds, 10.17 ounces.  Their six biggest commons weighed in at 39-6, 31-3, 30-12, 29-9, 29-1, and 23-13.  Congratulations, Chad and Jake (pegs 18 and 21)!
nick_chad_1st_atc_022417.jpg
Jake-31lb_common-8043.jpg
Chad_Edwards-39.6lb_common-8131.jpg

Representing Team CAG-NTX, Clayton Lothrop and Pieter Oberholzer took home the second place trophy and related goodies with a Big 6 total of 161-6.  Their runner-up brace included carp weighed in at 31-8, 30-10, 29-8, 24-4, 23-3, and 22-4.  Clayton and Pieter each caught a 30+!  Well done, Pieter and Clayton (pegs 25 and 19)!
022517_clayton_pieter_2nd_atc.jpg
Pieter_Oberholzer-31lb_common-February 23, 2017-8124.jpg
Clayton-30lb_common-8167.jpg

The North was represented by third place winners Tracy Jourdan and Frank Rink, listed as the Chi-Town Carpers (pegs 23 and 5).  They didn’t record any 30’s, but their consistent bag of fish in the mid to high 20’s allowed them to total 159-2 and bring home the third place trophy.  Their Big 6 carp of  28-9, 28-5, 27-0, 25-13, 25-5, and 24-2 just edged the Jerome Moisand/Iain Murray team for third place by eight ounces.
frank_25+.jpg

Tracy pulled in a 37 pound buff that we had hoped was a common when first hooked.  Still a fun fight, though!
atc2017_tracy_3700buffalo.jpg.2b8633be26d89a94d3f3c5099c805a31.jpg
022517_frank_tracy_3rd_atc.jpg
tracy_peg_5.jpg

In fact, just a little over 20 pounds separated 2nd through 10th place in the ATC, meaning the average weight differences were mere ounces:

2nd place team’s average weight - 26-14.33 (Lothrop/Oberholzer - pegs 25 and 19)

3rd place team’s average weight -  26-8.33 (Rink/Jourdan - pegs 23 and 5)

4th place team’s average weight -  26-7 (Moisand/Murray - pegs 1 and 23)

5th place team’s average weight -  25-4.17 (Russell/Keller - pegs 5 and 1)

6th place team’s average weight -  24-13.83 (Kartzke/Munn - peg 10)

7th place team’s average weight -  24-13 (Szydlowski/Burza - pegs 16 and 2)

8th place team’s average weight -  24-4 (Wells/Konz - pegs 11 and 17)

9th place team’s average weight -  23-8.17 (vanBeljon/vanBeljon - peg 8)

10th place team’s average weight - 23-6.5 (Ledford/Ledford - pegs 24 and 12)

Among the entire 25-team field, nine commons were caught at the event that exceeded 30 pounds with one coming just a few ounces short of 40.  Thirty-eight carp weighed 25 to 30 pounds.  Fifty-seven commons tipped the scales at 20 to 25 pounds.  The big buff and big grasser both exceeded 50 pounds.

Sixteen teams with six carp exceeded a 20 pound average, and four teams that didn't quite get to six fish still had a 20+ pound average for the fish they did record!

Get the picture?  Great event, wonderful people, and a plethora of big fish.

The prizes didn’t end there.  Anglers participated in several “unofficial” pots that sent the winners home with funds that would cover most, if not all, their ATC expenses.

Chad Edwards hauled in a fantastic 39-6 common that easily took the Big Common contest.  Outstanding work, Chad!
Chad_Edwards-39.6lb_common-8146.jpg
2017_ATC-banquet-chad_big-8363.jpg

Jon Eisen caught the biggest fish of the entire event, a massive 58+ pound smallmouth buffalo, to put the Big Buff pot into his pocket.  Fantastic work, Jon!
Jon_Eisen-58lb_buffalo-8304.jpg
2017_ATC-banquet-jon-8360.jpg

Keith Thompson successfully netted a 54+ pound Grass Carp to win the medal and related pot for Big Grasser.  Tremendous, Keith!
keith-54lb_grasser-8215.jpg
2017_ATC-banquet-keith_grass 2017-8366.jpg

Of course, Jake Downing and Chad Edwards took home the biggest pot with their overall Big 6, ATC 2017 victory.  Well deserved, gentlemen!
2017_ATC_Team-ripoff.jpg

Personally, I offer my gratitude to my team-mate Tracy Jourdan (CHIBIGTEE) for transporting our gear to and from Illinois and for his collaboration and teamwork during the event.  

We met many great anglers who are even greater people, we re-connected with many outstanding individuals from past CAG events, and we had the pleasure to interact with some whom we only knew as a username on this forum prior to the event. 

It was a pleasure meeting and competing with all of you!

Austin is a friendly, beautiful city with much going for it, including its word-class, carp-fishing venue.  I look forward to a return one day.
bridge_lamar_below.jpg  

Thanks, so much, for a smooth-running, well-planned, enjoyable ATC 2017! —Dr. Frank Rink

Whoah, what a remarkable summary of the event. And I am still trying to sort my own pics... Thank you, Frank, very cool write-up. And next year, you're on, my friend, I will not let those few ounces go unchallenged... :blammo:

Thanks, Jerome, for the kind words.  

Without taking away from the accomplishments of others this year, I still maintain that all these "competitive" events have location/peg as their primary factor.  So, future standings could easily be reversed.  If that happens, just remember who gave you all those nice third place prizes. :P --Frank

Yes, I agree, luck of the draw plays a really big role here. And thank you for your generosity. I actually broke a rod while fishing after the event, so those Saxon rods came out handy right away!

Fantastic write up, Frank! It was a pleasure meeting you, and I look forward to next year. Congrats again on your podium finish!

Frank, nice work.... as always, thanks for letting us know what's going on.

Jerome,

This would be a perfect example of a  thread to link to from the CARP ANGLERS GROUP facebook marketing page with a Picture/The logo from Franks thread here  about the event(the one Willem manages with the last post from christmas) .....with 5-6 lines of the text...and a link back to the forum stating (For more on this Story, and information on this year's ATC, CLICK HERE).

Just saying...

Thanks for the write up and great photos.  With proper permission, I would like to copy some of the biggies photos and use them for a slide show about carp fishing at an outdoor expo that our church is sponsoring April 8th.  Appropriate CAG officer, please reply ASAP as I need to get this together soon.

19 hours ago, The Big Worm said:

Frank, nice work.... as always, thanks for letting us know what's going on.

Jerome,

This would be a perfect example of a  thread to link to from the CARP ANGLERS GROUP facebook marketing page with a Picture/The logo from Franks thread here  about the event(the one Willem manages with the last post from christmas) .....with 5-6 lines of the text...and a link back to the forum stating (For more on this Story, and information on this year's ATC, CLICK HERE).

Just saying...

I agree. And I did exactly that yesterday.

15 hours ago, Cannonball said:

Thanks for the write up and great photos.  With proper permission, I would like to copy some of the biggies photos and use them for a slide show about carp fishing at an outdoor expo that our church is sponsoring April 8th.  Appropriate CAG officer, please reply ASAP as I need to get this together soon.

I don't see a problem, but you need to check with Frank, he's the author.

58 minutes ago, Jerome said:

I agree. And I did exactly that yesterday.

Jerome, just checked it out....don't see it and tried to send a message through the page....I am talking about the public page the one anyone searching Facebook can see but can't post on....

The join CAG link seams to work

But the message keeps telling me something failed sending a message.

3 hours ago, The Big Worm said:

Jerome, just checked it out....don't see it and tried to send a message through the page....I am talking about the public page the one anyone searching Facebook can see but can't post on....

That would be because I posted it in the Closed Group, the one which is quite active with nearly 2500 members. My post certainly got noticed, 18 likes and counting... Yeah, yeah, I know, you don't have access (for now)...

Great post big 6 doesnt give a chance to everyone till the end we all found that out quickly the first day lol. A lot of pegs dont produce many 30s but this year there was a small change some got lucky with some nice fish coming out some blanked. It was fun had to work hard on some pegs for just a single take.

It was great to meet you and you did very good on the peg you guys got the 1st day never seen so many fish caught there. It seems like the fish came out on a lot of spots that are not fished regularly which is awesome. Usual spots did what they usually do. Me and my brothers spot the first day was very difficult with a lot of kayakers a lady yelling at me a biker doing stunts on his bike around my fishing poles and gear which really was one of the last straw of my day. I couldn't imagine what anyone will do if someone snapped your rods jumping around your rods....  crazy days thats for sure!!!!!

Personally, I thought the Big6 format was pretty good, as well as the decision to have a prize for the biggest buff and the biggest grassie. But well, as we all know, it's 80% luck of the draw.

If you are not fortunate enough to actually attend one of these great events, a great and complete summery is always appreciated.  Great job Frank and congrats to all winners.

Todd

On 3/4/2017 at 3:23 PM, Jerome said:

Personally, I thought the Big6 format was pretty good, as well as the decision to have a prize for the biggest buff and the biggest grassie. But well, as we all know, it's 80% luck of the draw.

maybe a long time ago with few spots always being producers but now the lake has turned on in most pegs. we only have about 4 pegs now that produce none to 1