Carp Anglers Group Forums
Mr. CEO

Are Boilies Overrated

From a few years of testing here, without doubt, its hard to beat particles, especially for quick results and numbers. My #1 go to bait on a new water until i get an idea of whats in there. Then i switch over to tiger nuts and/or boilies, depending on the size of water or cray fish populations. However, fairly consistent, over numerous seasons, it has been the nuts,and the boilies producing the biggest fish, albeit smaller numbers. Some days the boilies crushed the particles, especially once the carp were used to, and trained to them, as a nutritional food source.

19 hours ago, Manosteel said:

You guys own stock in Nash or what?

It's not that simple....ever....but thanks for the show

I remember you asking about boilies before. Use what you enjoy. I am a firm believer in boilies and that is my own opinion. My catch rate on boilies for big fish far exceeds anything else I have used. There are certain techniques though for boilie fishing that make them perform well. It is not as simple as putting one on a hair rig and magic happening. Maybe someday I will make a drive down. I am always curious how people fish them and why they are not getting the results they want. Again you can fish any way you want that works best for you but I have tried it all and still continue to experiment. I will say certain combinations on boilies outperform others and each water is different. There are no two lakes that fish the same even if they are close to one another. 

Well thanks Brian....

it's like this....

The carp here are not used to eating boilies.....they will eat them....I have proven that.  However....they are very suspicious of them.  It is a new thing.  It' not like in England or the EU where people feed them tons of boilies per year.....that is just not how it is and they are not a natural thing.....we know this....you should know this too.

Getting a carp to bite on a boilie here is like getting a bass to bite on a nightcrawler....yes it is within their dietary requirements....but they are not sold on the idea just yet.

Use them.....they will work.

Will you report back astounding successes?....not likely....but you will catch fish.  

Anyone that wants to tout that boilies are the best thing since sliced bread have never fished my waters.....that is just not the case.....shal I re-poost the above?  It takes time and there are rewards......but it is not magic and it does not happen over night

well just because it needs to be re-affirmed....

I have a couple bags of "the Key" stabilized and I have caught fish on them....I generally run a couple handfuls through the "Korda Krusher" and add them to my spomb mixes.  

Now I will say....I use a lot of small betain HNV pellets in my spod mix....I actually have some 20 mm I sometimes band onto the hook but I have not had any hook ups with that method "yet".  They are a fishmeal pellet with betain sugars....it sounds logical to me and logic is what builds my confidence in a bait.

My spod mix is generally prepared field corn, crushed boilies, pellet, and some of my "goo"....which is wetted, stale Italian bread and raw bran.  When I boil my field corn, I always add in a handful of star anise clusters....my wife hates it when I do that....lol...the house ends up being pretty funky when I cook field corn.

I have used halibut pellets but as of yet....have not scored a fish on them....but I have confidence they will work so will continue to use them.  I also have a couple jars of HNV betain hookbaits (14mm I think).  I also have faith in those....but still have not had the big bite on them.

I have a couple bottles of CC Moore feed stim and big bottle of hemp oil that I sometimes use....I also sometimes glug with a liquid corn deer attractant...it's basically like a molasses and has added vitamins and minerals.

All of that being said, my biggest fish and my most regular catches....come on a hair rig filled with sweetcorn fished over beds of the above.  

I give all of them a shot but facts are facts....If I am fishing 3 rods...I am generally fishing 3 different baits and the rod that will always out perform the others is the rod with the sweetcorn on the hair.  This is just the facts of my personal experience.

do you get it yet?

Edited by Manosteel

Brian, come to SE Tennessee and we'll experiment in the name of science.  After all, someone has to do it!  I have not had any luck with a few boilies but I have not fished, baited, or spodded with them.

What a great challenge.....

There is a lake in the western part of our state.....it has brute carp.  I have seen them.

Beech fork lake.....

I challenge anyone to come and show me......I know what it takes to catch them here....but I would love to be schooled and educated on better ways.....

I know the lake...I know it's quirks and weirdness......I often use a weighted bobber and a surface bait cause they are conditioned to eat freebies off the surface.....an ajusta-bobber and a dog food pellet can be devastating to these fish.....

but hey....I am always open to learn something new.....come and school me......show me why a boilie is going to make a transformational shift in feeding habits.....

sorry guys.....I have my moments.....I have been fishing for decades.......I catch a lot of fish......

my goal has always been to be more consistent.......I can catch them....I want to catch them all the time

If you want to tell me a thing....be prepared to come show me....or it is all big talk....show me.

On 3/28/2017 at 1:58 PM, Dunkel said:

Yes. I have never caught a carp on a boilie homemade or store bought. Not 1 ever. I've used K1, Dynamite & royal carp boilies. I have caught 3 fish on boilies 2 catfish & a sucker. I have caught hundreds of carp in my life. Sweet corn, flavored sweet corn, doughballs of nearly every recipe imaginable, chickpeas, range cubes, nightcrawlers etc etc have all caught carp when I used them. Do boilies work for carp? If you have a truck load to throw in a lake/river over time, sure. Throwing in a few handfuls or some chopped up and fishing on top of them even after a few days, not in my experience. 

these boilies are not got at all for fast bites/ instant. as i have learned 

some not even good enough to have in my yard:D to feed the birds

find a good instant boilie you will definitely catch i tried close to a hundred different boilies different flavors different companies some work greater then other and one company so far all their flavors work wonders....

Actually went and fished yesterday and played around with the

The BIG WORMS

Sweet Corn vs. Boilie Challenge

Was my first time  Carp fishing since July 2015, hard to leave the shop, so I was pretty rusty with moving around so I picked a spot I know well, 100 ft up a creek from a river at flood stage....loaded with carp out of the current . Usually holds 6# to 19#  with rare over 20#, and a fair number of mirror carp which I have always done well  catching with Dynamite Monster Crab (I think there 12mm) and this has been one of the better meat-flavored instant boilies I have used at that spot. Fished with a grits method with fish pellet, cream corn, some chopped boilies and some fish powder.

From 4:45 to 6:30

To be fair I put the baits 5'-6' apart and did NO BAITING. I did give the boilie rod the down stream spot ...a slight advantage...?!

Left rod had 3 pieces of Del Monte with a foam spacer between the 1st and second. 

Right Rod had a single 12mm Dynamite Monster Crab Boiling.

Both baits about the same size

Both rigs the same #6 SSC hooks, 8" braid link with

1-1/2oz Anchor Method feeder. Matching line rods and reels.

When I caught on one, I would rebait  both to keep things honest.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

OFFICIAL RESULTS

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

DEL MONTE  4 carp + 2 runs

DYNAMITE BOILIES  1 carp  + 1 run

The largest did come on the Boilie, did not weigh them all 10-13# (ish)

moto_0051.jpg

moto_0052.jpg

moto_0055.jpg

moto_0053.jpg

17 hours ago, Manosteel said:

Well thanks Brian....it's like this....

The carp here are not used to eating boilies.....they will eat them....I have proven that.  However....they are very suspicious of them.  It is a new thing.  It' not like in England or the EU where people feed them tons of boilies per year.....that is just not how it is and they are not a natural thing.....we know this....you should know this too.

correct 

Getting a carp to bite on a boilie here is like getting a bass to bite on a nightcrawler....yes it is within their dietary requirements....but they are not sold on the idea just yet.

Use them.....they will work.

Will you report back astounding successes?....not likely....but you will catch fish.  depends water on the bass on night crawler. 

Anyone that wants to tout that boilies are the best thing since sliced bread have never fished my waters.....that is just not the case.....shal I re-poost the above?  It takes time and there are rewards......but it is not magic and it does not happen over night

this will never happen

well just because it needs to be re-affirmed....

I have a couple bags of "the Key" stabilized and I have caught fish on them....I generally run a couple handfuls through the "Korda Krusher" and add them to my spomb mixes.  

Now I will say....I use a lot of small betain HNV pellets in my spod mix....I actually have some 20 mm I sometimes band onto the hook but I have not had any hook ups with that method "yet".  They are a fishmeal pellet with betain sugars....it sounds logical to me and logic is what builds my confidence in a bait.

check the fish out and see what they eating the fishmeal stuff usually only works on certain parts of the year

My spod mix is generally prepared field corn, crushed boilies, pellet, and some of my "goo"....which is wetted, stale Italian bread and raw bran.  When I boil my field corn, I always add in a handful of star anise clusters....my wife hates it when I do that....lol...the house ends up being pretty funky when I cook field corn. its the same when i cook some boilies or open up a old batch of tigers:lol:

I have used halibut pellets but as of yet....have not scored a fish on them....but I have confidence they will work so will continue to use them.  I also have a couple jars of HNV betain hookbaits (14mm I think).  I also have faith in those....but still have not had the big bite on them.

I have a couple bottles of CC Moore feed stim and big bottle of hemp oil that I sometimes use....I also sometimes glug with a liquid corn deer attractant...it's basically like a molasses and has added vitamins and minerals.

All of that being said, my biggest fish and my most regular catches....come on a hair rig filled with sweetcorn fished over beds of the above.  sweet corn will and always will be a great bait its a really good instant/ all aorund bait for carp here in US. 

I give all of them a shot but facts are facts....If I am fishing 3 rods...I am generally fishing 3 different baits and the rod that will always out perform the others is the rod with the sweetcorn on the hair.  This is just the facts of my personal experience.

19 hours ago, Manosteel said:

What a great challenge.....

There is a lake in the western part of our state.....it has brute carp.  I have seen them.

Beech fork lake.....

I challenge anyone to come and show me......I know what it takes to catch them here....but I would love to be schooled and educated on better ways.....

if i was closer ill definitely be up for this. its great to learn from others i have a bunch of different styles of fishing. out of my top 5 fish puffs have  3 of the top five i can thank  @Mr Big for those. 

I know the lake...I know it's quirks and weirdness......I often use a weighted bobber and a surface bait cause they are conditioned to eat freebies off the surface.....an ajusta-bobber and a dog food pellet can be devastating to these fish.....

but hey....I am always open to learn something new.....come and school me......show me why a boilie is going to make a transformational shift in feeding habits..... that wont ever happened unless you have a paylake or a pond :D not in the US 

do you get it yet?

good results big worm for fishing for that little amount of hours. with you fishing with fish pellets and stuff i, surprised you didnt get more takes on the crab one. i guess they were just looking to snack 

I was suprised as well,  I took a lot of care to equal out the "Corn/Grits" ratio to Boillie/Pellet/Fish meal in the method  mix. And scratched the boillies to get more surface area of scent out there. And in that same spot I had a best day with 15 mirrors once...all on that same flavor boillie....yet my biggest from that spot a few years back was on 5 pieces of corn...same water levels in early spring...like now.

Never fished them there side by side before..

Gonna try plastic fake corn again the real thing next time out..

i use boillies a lot but i notice it requires you to chum some boillies to get them to be more effective however i have caught fish on them just throwing one out and forgetting about it

:)

look at it this way, your carp aint gona grow big and fat like the European carp eating sweet corn and chick peas , yes they catch a lot of fish but there not gona put on weight.

as we all know sweet corn is the best bait ever made but that's just it , every fish that swims loves the stuff and you cant single out your carp quarry.

the fish in Europe have got to the size they are by eating boilies pure and simple,you go back to 1952 when the great dick walker caught Clarissa there where no boillies/high nutritional baits as such and the fish weighed 44lb and that was a hippopotachunk for that time , the world record now is , i think a fish called shoulders that weighs 98lb...sweet corn fish ? i don't think so.

keep persisting with boillies and you will see your carp record sizes start to grow to the point, i think, the American carp will start to get bigger than the European carp.

just my 50 pence worth lads.

well, because of this topic, I did my own little test the past 3 nights. One pole- home made boilie (wheat, strawberry, egg, flour and creamed corn balls, then boiled) vs 2 poles (identical poles, reels and cast distance- I usually keep my lines pretty close together) pack bait of panko/strawberry/birdseed and sweet corn.........and........

the past two nights EVERY fish (2 grass carp, 3 commons, 5 catfish) all came on the boilie!......try as I might though I cannot get my homemade boilies to float!- I did the microwave trick, but while a couple may float for a bot, they all sink within several minutes....I added cork pieces to some and it doesn't float either- thoughts/suggestions?- I've looked through most videos about making them.................

try as I might though I cannot get my homemade boilies to float

I have had success with the microwave method. Perhaps you may just need to blast them for a bit longer ?

i did find that the very buoyant ones increased in size quite a bit after microwaving, just be careful not to burn the bait.

Other options,

•  Make your own cork ball pop'ups, cork balls are commercially available and you basically wrap the ball with your boilie mix. Or take a piece of cork, a knife, and make your own.
  •  Use a commercial pop-up mix in your base boilie mix
  •  Use cork dust/fine powder in your base boilie mix (if you save lots of corks from wine, you can grind these down into a powder/dust)
  •  Take a bait 6mm drill, drill out a hole most of the way through the boilie, insert a cork stick, commercially available, or take a piece of cork, a knife and make your own.

You may simply be not using enough cork to counter balance the weight of the ingredients in your mix ? 

Best of luck ! 

John

13 hours ago, (CO) JohnFinney said:

I have had success with the microwave method. Perhaps you may just need to blast them for a bit longer ?

i did find that the very buoyant ones increased in size quite a bit after microwaving, just be careful not to burn the bait.

Other options,

•  Make your own cork ball pop'ups, cork balls are commercially available and you basically wrap the ball with your boilie mix. Or take a piece of cork, a knife, and make your own.
  •  Use a commercial pop-up mix in your base boilie mix
  •  Use cork dust/fine powder in your base boilie mix (if you save lots of corks from wine, you can grind these down into a powder/dust)
  •  Take a bait 6mm drill, drill out a hole most of the way through the boilie, insert a cork stick, commercially available, or take a piece of cork, a knife and make your own.

You may simply be not using enough cork to counter balance the weight of the ingredients in your mix ? 

Best of luck ! 

John

thanks John!..........(always love your videos!!).......I did use the commercial cork balls, but can't any small enough to make it practical I either had to put too much on to hold, or too little and it cracked off .....

hadn't used a commercial pop-up mix.....do you have suggestions?

I chopped up some cork stoppers (I don't drink though :)) and it Thanksdidn't work......

hadn't tried a cork insert-that may be the best!!!....and yeah, probably not using enough cork...... :(

Thanks!!!...........