Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

19 MAR 17 - The weather was warm enough where fish were starting to move up Papio Creek, from the Missouri River.  Caught this one on a Fl pink San Juan worm.  I started seeing mud plumes out of the current, then 2 shadows started moving towards the bank.  I cast out, dragged & dropped it close to the bank.  When the shadow looked like it was over the fly, I started a slow long strip until the line came tight.  There wasn't much of a fight, because I believe the water is still cool for the fish.

IMG_20170319_145359625-50%.jpg

Good work.  the water here is still less than 50F .  maybe next week!

Good fishing on the skinny stick.  Got it on my list for this year.

I've been out about 4 or 5 times this year and only put the line in the water just a half doz times.  I only fish when I see fish and I just haven't seen many fish this year in my normal spots.  I bought a kayak this year and plan on chasing larger fish in new locations.  I only hope to catch some fish like Rwar.  I'm glad that you are finding the fish and that your pink SJ pattern did it for you.  Congrats on a nice outing and a nice fish. 

@clay34 , thanks.  I picked up a kayak last summer and plan to target carp on fly at the area lakes.  Please share your experiences.  One thing I noticed with kayak sight-fishing for carp, was I'd spot the carp, and by the time I got the flyrod out of the holder, the wind had either pushed me out of range or too close to the carp.  I ordered but have yet to install an anchor trolley, and a push pole.  Hopefully that'll work.  I thought about an anchor, but the way our lakes get weeds, I'd spend more time pulling weeds off the anchor after pulling in, than fishing.  I recently saw on youtube of saltwater kayak fisherman on the flats, starting to fabricate a casting platform on their kayaks for a better view.  That might be in the works for me.  Take care.  

Can't remember who makes it but there is a fishing/standup kayak that has an outrigger system.  You pull up on a lever and the back section opens up like a pair of scissors.  Saw one in a fly shop a few years ago.  Even has a casting rail to lean against.

On 3/31/2017 at 2:09 PM, Cannonball said:

Good fishing on the skinny stick.  Got it on my list for this year.

Maybe after the Calhoun backwater fills up?  Good luck!

Congrats!  I always wanted to try it, but I haven't fly fished in the past 10 years.  Too old & lazy now.  :Old:

6 hours ago, rwar1423 said:

@clay34 , thanks.  I picked up a kayak last summer and plan to target carp on fly at the area lakes.  Please share your experiences.  One thing I noticed with kayak sight-fishing for carp, was I'd spot the carp, and by the time I got the flyrod out of the holder, the wind had either pushed me out of range or too close to the carp.  I ordered but have yet to install an anchor trolley, and a push pole.  Hopefully that'll work.  I thought about an anchor, but the way our lakes get weeds, I'd spend more time pulling weeds off the anchor after pulling in, than fishing.  I recently saw on youtube of saltwater kayak fisherman on the flats, starting to fabricate a casting platform on their kayaks for a better view.  That might be in the works for me.  Take care.  

I have an inexpensive Kayak that is designed to stand up in and fish.  I would love a Hobbie Mirage Pro Angler but the $4k price tag is not for me.  I think my dream, within reason kayak, is a NuCanoe Pursuit but they are still $1600 +.  Maybe one day on a used Pursuit - I found one locally for $1300 used but that is still too rich.  I bought an Emotion Stealth Pro Angler.  Check out the youtube video (not my video):  Emotion Stealth Pro Angler

Here's another video:  Facebook Happypaddlin Emotion Stealth Pro Angler

The Stealth Pro was only $599 and I found that to be a good price on a yak that list for $799.  It is wide enough and has a tri-hull, so that I can stand up and cast.  The  other nice thing is that the seat is off of the floor.  I always wanted a kayak, but there is no way that I can sit on the floor and watch a full length movie; I sure can't sit in the bottom of a normal kayak and fish for hours and hours.  The seat in these fishing type kayaks give you just enough lift to let your legs break a little at the knees and are just more comfortable than the traditional kayak.  

My normal procedure for  carp fishing is to locate the fish.  Either clooping (sucking at the surface of the water) or I spy them in shallow water.  Like you, I cast in front of them, bring the fly into the "bite zone" (6" to 18" off of their nose) and watch the fish.  I almost NEVER feel a bite, I always see the fish eat and then hook set with a file sharpened hook.  I always say to "cross their eyes"  which to me just means that the hook set is usually aggressive. 

Like I said earlier, if I don't SEE fish, I don't even wet a line.  It's not the only way to fish for carp, but I love the stalk and present method.  It's as close as I will get to bonefishing in Wisconsin. 

Get the right yak that you can stand up in, so you can see into the water better.  By the way, if I leave my polarized glasses at home, I also don't fish.  No vision, no fish. 

Check out this video on the NuCanoe Pursuit, if my pockets were just a little deeper: 

Edited by Clay34