Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

possum

Dunkel, Possum and Jerome Carping WV

Spent the past 2 days chasing carp at 3 different lakes in WV with Dunkel and Jerome.

Day 1: Tygart Lake, Rainy miserable weather water was above summer pool and though we saw several carp jumping there were no takers. Called it a day and ran to Stonewall Jackson Lake. We saw 2 carp jump there and the water looked good so we prebaited it up with a couple gallons of boiled deer corn and left.

Day 2: Stonewall Jackson Lake, still sprinkling but going to clear up. We all set up and it wasn't long I had my first Stonewall Jackson carp. A true monster at about 2lbs. lol I continued to catch carp on on everything I threw at them for a total of 7 and then I said I'm done here! 2-5lb carp. Dunkel had some good runs no hookups, Jerome caught a couple monsters of 2-3-4???lbs.

Figured we are in small carp mecca lets pull up equipment and head to Stonecoal Lake to fishing out the day. Water was fine saw big carp jumping far off. We set up and the wait began. Nothing happening but the occasional carp jumping here and there gave us hope.

Dunkel finally gets a screaming run, fish on! After a nice battle he banks a nice 22lber. That was the last action we had. We bid Jerome farwell and headed home! Jerome stayed there fishing, hopefully he caught something.

I am a poor picture taker, never think in time to get the good pictures and really dropped the ball this time but heres some of the pics I took when I though hey take some pics! lol

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

IMG_2215.JPG

IMG_2221.JPG

IMG_2224.JPG

nice captures, even if most were small :-)

We all want loads of fish and HUGE ones at that, but fishing being fishing it doesn't always work out that way.

But the camaraderie was absolutely priceless!

4 hours ago, possum said:

But the camaraderie was absolutely priceless!

Jerome may beg to differ. Anyone who throws a man's Maize in the lake that he had picked out for his hair rig isn't much of a comrade mate! LOL

It was a great time indeed. I will add some pictures I took tomorrow. 

12 minutes ago, Dunkel said:

Jerome may beg to differ. Anyone who throws a man's Maize in the lake that he had picked out for his hair rig isn't much of a comrade mate! LOL

Totally agreed. I demanded that my maize would be returned right away by this 'comrade', and he dared to pretend that he didn't hear what I said... Excuses, excuses. I still want my maize back. With interest. 

I saw that maize and thought someones been fishing for carp here. Threw the maize in to get rid of the evidence didn't want anyone poaching our swim lol.

Little did I realize it was Jeromes maize until it was already tossed.

I've got plenty of maize to repay with the interests! It was a not so brilliant moment on my part! lol

14 hours ago, possum said:

I've got plenty of maize to repay with the interests! It was a not so brilliant moment on my part! lol

Yes, indeed, you had quite some leftover at the end, and you threw it all in the water instead of giving it to me. Adding insult to injury. Just saying. ;-)

Possum in action. He landed fish after fish, while I was playing photographer and Dunkel was playing net-man.

IMG_0008.JPG

And some monsters he caught...

IMG_0007.JPG

Mine was bigger! Er, maybe not.

IMG_0014.JPG

So we moved to a more suitable big fish venue... And Dunkel established his clear superiority, with a nice muscular 22 pounder.

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

Thank you for hosting me, Possum and Dunkel. I will be back...

Here's 2 pics I took. 

008.JPG

009.JPG

Come on back! This time we would like to take you to Dunkels Home Swim on the South Branch! Big fish, beautiful scenery and gin clear waters!

As for me I'm up ready to roll out the door for another day of carping in Wild Wonderful West Virginia

Theres huge muskies in Stonecoal. I've seen some really nice ones caught there.

great fish congrats on a great day out

Any day on the bank with passionate fellow anglers is a good one. Congrats!

Good times are priceless.  Thanks for the story and photos.  BTW, if you look in the dictionary, the word "fish" gives a description but doesn't mention anything about there being a size necessary for the definition to be valid.