Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Streamtripper

Dead forum

Dead and soon gone. Eventually no one will come here to see nothing new.

Question to anyone that might know, is the facebook thing where you need a password to get in doing ok as in lots of people lots of post? Or whatever people do at facebook.

If so there is the problem, because that's basically telling you/us join that page or lose out! No I will not join.

The only things I look at on FB are the CAG sections, woodworking videos, and underwater carp videos by Jerome Moisand.  I do occasionally correspond with some college friends and members of a former church where I was associate pastor.  But that is it.  Hard not to get into any forum without joining.  I have a booklet of websites and passwords.

I'm not sure where everyone has went? Did they all just lose interests or are they all gathering elsewhere.

I realize lives change people move on ect  maybe that's it?

4 hours ago, possum said:

I'm not sure where everyone has went? Did they all just lose interests or are they all gathering elsewhere.

last ontario fish in was in 2014 if I remember correctly.  If I had to guess, no one wants to renew a membership to a club that does not exist anymore.  All of the prolific posters in Ontario from years past are simply not members any longer.

It is what you make of it, guys.  It is your club.

Sorry to tell you this but in New England CAG is alive and well, growing and very active in every state.  Other places could do the same with a little effort and a little less whining!

Sorry, but simply fed up with the negativity.

On 5/13/2017 at 0:05 PM, possum said:

Dead and soon gone. Eventually no one will come here to see nothing new.

Question to anyone that might know, is the facebook thing where you need a password to get in doing ok as in lots of people lots of post? Or whatever people do at facebook.

If so there is the problem, because that's basically telling you/us join that page or lose out! No I will not join.

You don't need a password for the CAG Facebook page but you do need to be 'approved' to see or make posts. It currently has about 2700 individuals on it and is quite active. Facebook and other social media is just how it is nowadays. The CAG forum is still relevant provided people make the effort. 

One of the key aspects of CAG has always been 'meeting people in person' rather than just online. 

As Dave Pickering has said it usually comes down to individuals making the effort to rally people together and recruit members.

We always need more volunteers to help with running CAG!

Ever since aunts, uncles and all other sorts of relatives signed up for facebook, I signed out... that thing was cool... in 2008

That said, this place does seem a little abandoned at times, even though I'm also guilty myself of only checking in once every few months.

For the first time this year I ordered some PVA bags, have all my stuff organized in a nice Daiwa backpack and itching to go check out the waters, but facing a similar issue as this forum i.e.  lack of bodies - my best fishing pal moved to Ottawa and I prefer teamwork when fishing... even if it's in silence

If anyone is going fishing this long weekend in the GTA area (Hamilton included) and needs company, you can PM me 

Tight lines! 

Aleks

On 5/14/2017 at 8:18 PM, pickerd said:

It is what you make of it, guys.  It is your club.

Sorry to tell you this but in New England CAG is alive and well, growing and very active in every state.  Other places could do the same with a little effort and a little less whining!

Sorry, but simply fed up with the negativity.

We're trying here in Georgia.  Our spring fish-in is Saturday.  We're expecting between 7 and 11 anglers, including maybe 3 or 4 who aren't CAG members.  Unfortunately, Georgia is a large state (roughly 250 miles wide by 350 miles long) with just one state chair, and it's completely surrounded by five other states that have no active state chair -- which makes holding regional events (like you guys in New England have done recently) very difficult.

We're holding our fish-in in a corner of GA that would be accessible from at least three of those states.  I contemplated inviting folks from those three states to join us.  But since the recent reworking of our website, it seems that location and contact information for CAG Forum users is no longer available online to others.  The Forum used to have an alphabetic list of login names, and it was searchable using certain criteria -- including location and status (member, guest, director, state chair, etc.).  My memory isn't clear, but the entries might have even included email addresses as well.  HOWEVER -- bottom line -- because the Forum no longer gives us access to the information I needed, I wasn't able to identify anyone from those other states who might have been interested in coming to our fish-in, so I wasn't able to invite them.

Salacoa Creek State Park, just east of Calhoun, GA.  It's about 10 miles east of I-75.  Take the Redbud Road exit (Exit 312, State route 53) and go east.  Look on the right for the entrance to the county landfill.  The park has a big entry sign.  Go to the boat ramp and look for all the guys with carping gear.  It is a good area with lots of bank space.  There will be some of us fishing Friday and baiting for Friday and Saturday.  Join us.  The state chair, Barry (needmotime2fish), will be having a hot dog lunch for the gang.

Food, fish, friends, and fun are the necessary ingredients of a fish-in.  Not necessarily in that order. :D

The only reason I made an account on CAG was to try to learn advanced techniques that are not commonly found anywhere else, but most of what I found was more questions than answers that people didn't have the answers for. I've been fishing extensively since fall of last year (excluding the winter) and have spent countless hours on the bank trying different tactics in different locations on a lake that I've had lots of success with in the past. Yet hear I am hours, days, weeks go by and still not a single fish. I have tried almost everything. It's honestly taking a toll on my mental state. It's like I'm going through withdrawals or something. I'm going to try a new body of water this weekend. If I don't catch I'm going to lose it. There must be something wrong that I'm doing but I'm using the same tactics and rigs as I did in the past where I've caught many carp. I just don't know anymore. 

23 hours ago, Mr. CEO said:

The only reason I made an account on CAG was to try to learn advanced techniques that are not commonly found anywhere else, but most of what I found was more questions than answers that people didn't have the answers for. I've been fishing extensively since fall of last year (excluding the winter) and have spent countless hours on the bank trying different tactics in different locations on a lake that I've had lots of success with in the past. Yet hear I am hours, days, weeks go by and still not a single fish. I have tried almost everything. It's honestly taking a toll on my mental state. It's like I'm going through withdrawals or something. I'm going to try a new body of water this weekend. If I don't catch I'm going to lose it. There must be something wrong that I'm doing but I'm using the same tactics and rigs as I did in the past where I've caught many carp. I just don't know anymore. 

Did you do any serious prebaiting? That always works for me and, on some waters, is absolutely necessary.

On 5/18/2017 at 10:13 AM, Mr. CEO said:

The only reason I made an account on CAG was to try to learn advanced techniques that are not commonly found anywhere else, but most of what I found was more questions than answers that people didn't have the answers for...

all those answers (in multiple versions & great detail) are in the archives that are no longer available to non-paying members :( 

if you ask something specific, I'm sure you'll get an answer...  but then, again, the long-time, knowledgeable members presented w/ the same basic "Beginner" question for the 17th time, may not be as detailed or informative as they once were...  if they choose to answer at all (fewer & fewer do, compared to distant past)

On 5/19/2017 at 10:12 AM, Dale Holmes said:

Did you do any serious prebaiting? That always works for me and, on some waters, is absolutely necessary.

No. I would pebait if I could but the lake where I fish has a lot of cancerous bullhead and turtles in it that often find and eat the prebait before the carp find it. But it's ok because I caught 4 carp last weekend all in the high teens and low twenties. I'm finally quenching my winter withdrawls. :)

On 5/14/2017 at 11:52 AM, possum said:

Facebook is huge everyone goes on it and it’s very active but at the same time you have people who do nothing but attack you and bother you and post random stuff and bullies people 

I think a forum or Facebook or personal relationships take work. The more you give, the more you get. The more you contribute that adds value, the more people share/contribute back to you in return.