Carp Anglers Group Forums

I went to Lake Nockamixon to try to catch some carp. I've watched videos and read forums. I have some carp gear and hair rigs, but  I cant hook up. I was off Elephant Rd at a boat launch on Sat. May 20th. about 55-60 degrees. It was the first place I went. There were carp splashing and digging up mud, and spawning from what I could tell. There were a ton of weeds though. I chummed and threw method leads with pack bait. After like 2.5 hours with nothing I decided to move. I drove the whole lake and  and no one was really catching anything and there were no other spots with carp splashing. So after an hour of driving I went back to the first spot and set up again but still caught nothing. I don't think the carp saw my bait because of the weeds. The were digging up a lot though. I really want to land a carp. Any advice would be great. If there are any carp guys that want to meet up and go to Nockamixon for carp that would be great too. Let me know guys.

no need to cast far at the Nock -- always did well for numbers & occasional decent size, close in, under a float...  you can place your bait any depth in the water column, so weeds are no problem & hand-feed small amounts steadily (never really had to pre-bait there)

just need a quiet spot away from boat/jetski traffic -- try the big cove across the lake, where Tohickon Cr. flows in...  just park before the bridge/overpass on 563N & walk down (steps cut into the big hill)

Awesome info. Thanks Philaroman. I know you can go for Carp year round but is there a best time of year to go for Carp in PA. Thats the only other question I have thought of.

Hello Luke,

Welcome to the wonderful world of carping! I cannot directly help you with fishing the Nock because I have not spent any time carp fishing there but I will say that when the fish are in heavy spawn they do not feed. Although, with such a big lake, not all the carp spawn at exactly the same time. I have heard of people fishing the nock but do not know a lot about where they fished or what the overall structure of the population is like. Do not let it get you down, sometimes they can be a little tricky. Could have been a few factors but fishing heavy weeds is challenging and to be honest, my least favorite. Once warm water/summer hits I focus on places that lack heavy weeds.

I have fished green lane which is close and caught boatloads of little dink carp in the one cove. If you want that info please feel free to PM me. I can also point you in the right direction to some other spots, methods, and off course extend you the invite to fish with me as well.

Please feel free to get in contact with me.

Sincerely,

Nate

Hey Nate,

That sounds awesome. Thanks for the info and invite. We should link up and fish sometime. What are those other spots? I've heard good things about Green Lane.

Thanks again.

read this thread, esp. last 8 posts:

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?/topic/42283-pennsylvania-roll-call/&page=3#comment-729366

best times are Spring & Fall; during Summer heat lakes are better at night, or 3-8AM (little reason to stay past 9AM); in Winter they don't move around much, but you can get some action if you know where they are & put smaller, more delicate baits right in front of them

Edited by philaroman