Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

FJR1

RESULTS - 5th Annual "5 Bridges Carp Tournament" - May 20, 2017 - Chicago, IL

Dusty Palmer, Emilio Montoya, Frank Rink finish 1-2-3 in May 20 "5 Bridges Carp Tournament" hosted by Larry Seeman in Chicago; Jaffar Syed catches biggest carp of the event at 25-9!

18222476_1332852936781923_4183431304869801020_n.jpg

Big thanks to Larry Seeman who conducted a well-run, enjoyable "5 Bridges Big 5 Carp Tournament" at Chicago's Rowing Lagoon on May 20! It was the fifth annual "5 Bridges" event!

The morning was a little dicey with cold, brisk, east winds and several bone-chilling downpours, but the afternoon weather mellowed out nicely, and it actually became pleasant by 2:00 p.m.
18198583_1332853056781911_8863445784389184039_n.jpg

Thanks to the 13 anglers who participated. Several dropped out prior to the contest due to weather/work, but it was a nice turnout.

The recent change in weather negatively affected the fishing, but upwards of 40 carp were captured, recorded, and released.  Ten of the 13 participants caught fish.  The north end of the venue was more productive than the south end.

Peg draw (names in a hat and pegs assigned, starting at 1, as names are drawn) was as follows or pretty close:

Emilio Montoya - Peg 1
Tracy Jourdan - 2
Larry Seeman - 4
Dusty Palmer - 5
Jaffar Syed - 7
Tony Donato - 8
Frank Rink - 9
Ismet Cici Cativic - 11
Branko Kirincic - 12
Mike Tylka - 15
Fehim Foric - 16
Elvir Halilic - 17
Chris Reitan - 19

5_bridges_banner.jpg

Newcomer to carp fishing, Dusty Palmer (under the expert tutelage of Larry Seeman), showed us how it was done as he easily took first in the Big 5 event with a total of 92+ pounds. His biggest fish of the tournament was 24+.  Dusty's cash prize was $325 and a silver dollar worth more than $20.
dusty_24+_5bridges_052017.jpg
dusty.jpg.7b62ced5c2722c85153a6dc46551b1f2-1.jpg

Emilio Montoya took good advantage of his peg 1 draw and won the second place purse at $195 with 84+ pounds anchored by an outstanding 25+ mirror.

5BRIDGES_EMILIO_25-4 mirror.jpg

Frank Rink finished third, winning $130 with 74 pounds, 10 ounces (17-14, 15-13, 14-9, 13-5, 13-1).

Jaffar Syed ended his Illinois jinx/blank in style with the Big Fish of the tournament at 25-9!  Jaffar took home the Big Fish pot of $130.

jaffar_2509_052017.jpg
5922336a0c857_dusty3.jpg.d95a5d729a9fc5e52a627026a69df5aa.jpg

$75 in cash and prizes for first fish went to Larry Seeman with a 7:15 a.m. capture.

$75 in cash and prizes for last fish went to Frank Rink with a 4:44 p.m. capture. Dusty Palmer did have a strike at 4:59 p.m. and landed the three pound carp, but it did not count because it was foul hooked in the posterior.

Frank Rink caught the most carp with 10 (17-14, 15-13, 14-9, 13-5, 13-1, 12-6, 12-0, 11-9, 10-10, 10-0); but he had donated the prizes for that category, so he split the prizes and awarded them to Emilio Montoya and Dusty Palmer with 8 carp each.

Prizes for the biggest non-carp went to Tony Donato with a three pound catfish. Tony also captured a long, hard-fighting 15+ male from his peg 8 location.

tony_15+.jpg

Tracy Jourdan generously donated some additional bait and tackle prizes, and they were given to remaining participants.

Thanks, again, to Larry Seeman, for his generosity (lunch for all, additional prizes) and excellent organization at the Fifth Annual "5 Bridges Big 5 Carp Tournament!  Congratulations to the winners and thanks to all participants for braving the elements! - Frank Rink
18198227_1332853010115249_7897022466301134966_n.jpg

(If anyone has more pics from the event, please post on this thread to supplement the information about tournament results. Thanks!)

Thanks to everyone who attended Saturdays event. As the results page stated decent day overall. Big thanks to Frank Rink for doing all the computer work not to mention other things. Hope all will return next year.

First time carp fishing Dusty Palmer taking instruction from his instructor (larry) on how to battle  one of his many catches during the day.

And Jaffar in the background checking up on if his big fish of the day catch will be beaten with this one.

dusty.jpg

dusty 1.jpg 

An escapee from the Zoo gets a drink from one of the drinking fountains.

Edited by Blacksheep

2 hours ago, chris reitan said:

Thanks, Larry for organizing a great event!!!

Thank you Chris, I wish I could have organized the weather.

Not his big fish of the day but one of Jaffars catches on Saturday.

After Jaffars big fish of the day, his confidence let him relax and go inside the Zoo the get some of us much needed coffee, thanks again Jaffar.

dusty 3.jpg

Edited by Blacksheep

Good job Larry!!! Well run, I had fun but my feet still look like prunes. LOL 

6 minutes ago, CHIBIGTEE said:

Good job Larry!!! Well run, I had fun but my feet still look like prunes. LOL 

Mine also Tracy, lol.

More pics of the winner. It's cool that he won but I had to drive home with him for an hour :Banana::blabla::blabla::pcorn:

dusty 4.jpg

dusty 5.jpg

dusty 6.jpg

Thanks larry for hosting us.. and thanks for you help landing those fish is heavy rain .. 

49 minutes ago, Blacksheep said:

Not his big fish of the day but one of Jaffars catches on Saturday.

After Jaffars big fish of the day, his confidence let him relax and go inside the Zoo the get some of us much needed coffee, thanks again Jaffar.

dusty 3.jpg

It was not confidence but need Larry I was all wet .. should had prepared for it lol.. I needed anything warm.. my arms and legs were cramping ;( with cold.

you finally did it Larry - got me on my first IL carp - :) I owe you my friend.

9 hours ago, Jaffar Syed said:

Thanks larry for hosting us.. and thanks for you help landing those fish is heavy rain .. 

And boy the rain was really coming down at that time.

Are there any pics of Jaffar's 25-9, or did the torrential downpour interfere? :P

16 minutes ago, Jaffar Syed said:

i think this is the one ..

chi-carp.jpg

Great fish.  Congrats, Jaffar!  Thanks for posting. --Frank