Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Savayman

First carp on the fly!

I took a local TU member Carl Swanson on his first expedition to catch a carp on a fly... 

His first was this frisky male fish

Carl Swanson 001.jpg

and his second this awesome 25lb common!

Carl Swanson 003.jpg

Both fish falling to an original Jack Gartside pattern cast at bubbling feeders in about 4' of water

Carl Swanson 002.jpg

Fish like that will convert a brookie fisherman in a hurry.  I started this pursuit over 10 years ago, as a TU member looking for some recreational fishing closer to home when gas prices were higher.  After 10 years and owning property in prime brook trout waters, I still prefer to chase carp. 

One season, I spent 66 days on the water and didn't keep a single trout - all catch and release.  Then it dawned on me.  If I am just doing the catching for fun, why not have something on the other end of the line that pulls harder?  A carp, fly fisherman was released from the bonds of those that turn up their noses at our game fish of choice. 

Nicely done, turning another fly fisherman into a carp angler. 

What is your technique on catching them on the skinny stick?  Looking at the water in the background of the first picture.

Just cast to patches of bubbles... best signs of feeding carp!

Thanks.  Like to get out but the weather is going to be beastly hot next few days.  Can't wait until November!