Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

chayathecat

How to change the 1 rod rule (Minnesota)

I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully overturned the rod rule in their state. What is the proper way to start a petition, which will not be ignored by DNR? 

1. I have chatted with quite a few DNR officers on bank. Even they seem surprised that I release carp. They don't seem to want to stop the illegal killing and dumping of carp carcasses in public trash cans since carp are "invasive" and the "devil"

2. I have emailed and called DNR and talked about the proper process for petitioning for a 3 or even 2 rod rule.  I have also written to a couple of state officials and also the DNR (via mail). Here is what they have told me:

a ) There is NO intention to change the 1 rod rule

b ) MN DNR is struggling with declining walleye/bass population. The cost of stocking/restocking panfish is soaring. They fear that allowing more than 1 rod will simply result in people poaching more fish in general, at a time when controlling poaching is a failing effort .

What are your thoughts? When it comes to the 1 rod rule, DNR does not care whether you are fishing for game fish or rough fish (true game fish). I am willing to try new methods of trying to state my case. I know of a couple of catfish guys who started a petition a while back, but it was truly ignored.

My aim is to allow using at least 2 rods to fish from shore.

Chayathecat, invite the DNR officer for a session on the bank.  Let the people outside the carping community feel the pull of a 15 lb. carp and they might change their minds.  If the fish populations are declining, then why don't they change the limits? 

Example that I use in my Hunter Education classes on hunting laws- I lived in KY for several years in a farming area.  One year the limit on squirrels was 10 due to a good population due to good weather and abundance of mast.  The next year it was 8 as the population declined due to the decreased mast production.

Print and distribute the attached file.

Effects of Common Carp.docx

1 hour ago, Cannonball said:

Chayathecat, invite the DNR officer for a session on the bank.  Let the people outside the carping community feel the pull of a 15 lb. carp and they might change their minds.  If the fish populations are declining, then why don't they change the limits? 

Example that I use in my Hunter Education classes on hunting laws- I lived in KY for several years in a farming area.  One year the limit on squirrels was 10 due to a good population due to good weather and abundance of mast.  The next year it was 8 as the population declined due to the decreased mast production.

Print and distribute the attached file.

Effects of Common Carp.docx

Thank you for the attached doc. I will definitely take a look and share.

The fish population ( walleye, bass) is declining due to over fishing/poaching, waters becoming too clear for fish to breed (such as lake mille lacs: zebra mussels ), fertilizer run off etc. DNR is struggling to keep adding new stock of game fish to keep the population high in a state where fishing is a massive revenue earner. The thinking behind the 1 rod rule is:

1. People are already poaching fish. If anglers can use more rods, they can poach more game fish-thus negating the efforts to keep stocking/keeping population high

2. Allowing 2-3 rods for rough fish (true game fish) is not a feasible option since most people fish for game fish. DNR cannot control who is fishing for what species.

The common misconception is that carp destroy all breeding structures for native game fish, plus eat all the eggs. It is simpler for DNR to point fingers at carp for dwindling native species population than to target larger issues such as :

1. the massive infestation of zebra mussels, eurasian milfoil and other invasive

2. the massive amount of fertilizer run off into lakes and rivers, causing algae bloom and poor water quality in some major water ways

3. the use of high powered boat engines in shallow lakes. These cause more damage than a head of rooting carp

Plus, bowfishing is very popular here. The revenue generation from bowfishing equipment makes it an incentive to follow the money. When a blood thirsty thrill generates so much $/tax $, it is easy to see why dnr and other local authorities will only support those thrill seekers.

The question remains: Has anyone on CAG successfully led a campaign to change the rod rule in their state?

You should contact Iain Sorrell (the CAG VP), and asked him about his experience in CT, as they did succeed to pull off a change from 2 rods to 3 rods.

Certainly not a good thing in MN.  I helped with a Hunter Education Instructor Certification class in May.  One of the officers said he could refute some of the things in the CAG brochure I gave him.  I made my point when I told him if a blanket statement about carp could be made, then why does the state have different regulations for different lakes and rivers.  He had to agree. I said that there would be some isolated instances where carp might be detrimental to the aquatic environment but, overall, carp minnows provide forage for other fish.  As for carp eating eggs, I would have to see videos, not just pictures.  I could take a picture of a carp near a nest but that doesn't prove anything.  I have seen bass, bluegill, crappie nests and never seen a carp anywhere.  I watched a bass on a nest for two days during a fish-in in GA.  Never saw a carp, which are present in the lake, but the nest was surrounded by bluegill being chased away by the bass.  Saw a bluegill nest being invaded by salamanders once.

Good luck!

Also Brain Wingard got Pa. changed from 1 to 2 contact him.

6 hours ago, possum said:

Also Brain Wingard got Pa. changed from 1 to 2 contact him.

correction: changed from 2 to 3!

You have to approach it Like Andy Dufresne petitioning for a prison library............keep hammering away and NEVER give up.