Carp Anglers Group Forums
MoCarp

Hello People checking in

I have been quiet last few years, yet I have been watched carp angling grow, this forum is not as active as it was a few years ago...I hope to change that...(yeah I need to re-up my membership)...I feel compelled to get more activist as I have seen a disturbing trend in the growth of organized bow fishing a real threat because John Paul Morris, son of Bass Pro Shops founder Johnny Morris is an avid bow fisherman with BPS getting into selling dedicated bow fishing boats,..... I can tell you that Truman lake near Warsaw and Clinton Missouri the largest lake in the state at 55,600 acres.

We have seen a marked reduction in Carp and Buffalo size and numbers.... at one time fish in the 30-40 pound class were caught not so now, Table Rock lake has had a big bow tourney last few years and the size of the fish are noticeably gotten smaller once big fish where all in the upper 40's dumpsters and dumpsters of fish get composted.

The public is not sold on this mass waste of fish, as well as the noise and bright lights of the bow fishing rigs, Red fisherman also have issues with this trend in coastal areas.

I would like to change public view but need help...I waged a war online, to some degree of success, its time to do so again.....

Welcome back.  I stopped at the BPS in Kodak, TN.  They had a boat rigged for BFing.  First, it had lights all around the bow.  What chance do fish have?  Shooting fish in a barrel?  Plus the thing was over $30K.  I had a bass boat that I sold several years ago.  To many people on the water for my comfort.

It's interesting that I can't use a light to hunt deer or turkey but I can jacklight carp and buffs.  During a road cleanup with our TU chapter, I found a 12V spotlight in the ditch.  I figure that someone was jacklighting deer or something.  They got spooked for some reason and tossed the light.  BTW, it works.

Doesn't it occur to people that dead fish don't grow bigger!  Wonder what people would say if they saw pictures of dead fish being tossed in dumpsters?

The General Public is not cool to wanton waste or the noise at night, pretty soon the avid bow fisherman runs out of ways to get rid of the fish, I remember when Alligator Gar were trashed, now they are getting re-established by state F & W across the nation, the bighead and silver "carp" population explosion hasn't helped us, and commons are lumped into the whole "asian carp" issue, the numbers of "gamefish" that get woopesd would make most fisherman livid back east they shut it down in a muskie lake because they found some floaters with arrow holes, one of our best Muskie lakes in Missouri is one of the heaviest bow fished lake in the state, I wonder how many Muskies have been woopsed there....there is room for both of our pursuits, just need more protection on some waters like at ladybird in Austin Tx...I can tell you I was Harassed at many a Venue when I openly invited people to learn about Carpfishing.....prob will again but ill be ready ;)

The lights are in fact illegal to use but the states do not enforce the coast guard inland water law in which they are supposed to. This is for all 50 states but they are more concerned with dollar signs.

accordbw, interesting comment.  I'll contact my friend with TWRA who is the boating class coordinator for this region.  Plus, we have a CG Auxiliary in Chattanooga on Chickamauga Lake.  Will try to make contact there if necessary.

MoCarp-I have BassPro asking me to talk about carp fishing-I think that will be a great way to combat the bowfishing-appeal to the catch and release aspect that professionals utilize and simply ask what the contradiction is!...............

Of course they would like you to come talk at Bass Pro, the bow guys would love to get some info on good carp "fishing" spots. Remember, bow killers love little creeks and streams. Easy pickens. I'm sure you have walked the Bass Pro store many times (as have I), how many carp specific items do they carry? Maybe some "Uncle Joe's carp bait", I'm sure that's good stuff. Now head on over to the archery section and feast your eyes upon the bowfishing section. Big difference, huh? Oh yeah, did you see the rigged out boat specifically for bowfishing sitting right outside the front doors. What's the price tag on that? Now tell me which activity they will seriously support. I wouldn't trust the Sponser of the biggest bowfishing tournament of the year to honestly give any serious support to catch and release carp anglers. When they are hosting the countries biggest catch and release carp tournament, I MIGHT see it differently. JMHO 

I will let you do the math.

Screenshot_20170625-140610.png

Screenshot_20170625-140643.pngScreenshot_20170625-140655.png

I think about a decade ago David Moore (BCT) contacted BPS about carp gear, and if I remember they had no interest,..we held a Missouri State fish-in held back to back years 2005/2006??? once below Taneycomo dam once above,

Year one  sent in to the MDC they announced it in the Missouri Department of Conservation's CONSERVATIONIST MAGAZINE, before the second year, I got a letter before our second event that they would not or could not put it in the publication. I am sure that they were approached by the anti-carpers AKA Native Fish/Bow-fisherman groups, scared to death another Austin LBL was going to happen.

Before the 1st event I was informed that 2 dumpsters were hauled out in the very area, Several fish over 30#......some CAG guys pre-fished down stream out of the event area and caught fish that had arrow wounds and turtles were everywhere..the event was still good though everyone caught fish, but size was way way off, they should have avg. mid to upper teens.....was more like 8#, I have not fished that place in 10 years unsure if its ever recoverd..if we had several fish landed that day over 30# it would have become like Austin.......I learned a valuable lesson. There are those out there who will NEVER work in our interests.....it takes Tactical planning.......

Very good points!- yes I would never divulge to a group of "unknowns"........I think CAG needs to be much more active in this aspect of fish conservation............

Couple of things to consider here.  First, you wouldn't have to divulge any place that have carp.  I would say that the BFers already know.  If there is water, there are carp.  The bigger lakes and rivers would be primes places for carp.  Second, the idea of catch and release has one thing behind it.  I am a life member of BASS.  Why do tournaments practice C&R?  So the fish will grow bigger!  Duh!  Now, let's carry this over to the idea of common carp and buffalo.  If you kill a common carp of buffalo, how big does it grow when it is dead?  If you keep killing the big fish, you are depleting the gene pool and, as time goes on, there will be the complaint- Why aren't we sticking big fish like we did five years ago?  A great big DUH!

Edited by Cannonball
Correct grammar and spelling

Addendum- MoCARP,  I would write the MDC and pin them to the wall, asking specifically, why they wouldn't print your article.  If carp are a viable resource, they could sell more fishing licenses.

when we do another fish-in, ill see what happens, new folks there in the last 10-12 years.....I am getting my ducks in a row to ramp this puppy up again

thanks for coming back. austin STILL has there fair share of bow killers they just do it undercover very secretive:angry:

Get out your phone and tell them, "Hey!  Let's get a picture to show those big fish!"  Or, watch them, get the license number and turn it in to the authorities.

I was posting on a Nebraska fishing forum and was proptly banned....just for posting about euro gear.....usally a B-fing guy screams for help and all the bow people sign up and trash carp fishing......also bow people are on here looking for new places to shoot anyways :mellow:

this was a post from 10 years ago

"If we let MoCarp post about how much fun it is to fish for carp and all that euro stuff then others will want to do it next thing you know we are outnumbered and carp get treated like walleyes or bass"

Carpfishing has grown, yet still run into that

and how the BEEP to I buy my membership re up? I only see mailing a check???? that page looks wak

7 hours ago, MoCarp said:

I was posting on a Nebraska fishing forum and was proptly banned....just for posting about euro gear.....usally a B-fing guy screams for help and all the bow people sign up and trash carp fishing......also bow people are on here looking for new places to shoot anyways :mellow:

this was a post from 10 years ago

"If we let MoCarp post about how much fun it is to fish for carp and all that euro stuff then others will want to do it next thing you know we are outnumbered and carp get treated like walleyes or bass"

Carpfishing has grown, yet still run into that

It makes no sense to kill big fish of any species.  First, you interfere with the gene pool.  Quality Deer Management works on the idea of selective harvest- to let the bigger bucks pass on their genes to other bucks.  Along the same line, let the bigger carp live and pass on their genes.  This is the idea behind catch and release!  How many bass tourneys keep bass to eat or toss in the trash?  Second, if you keep killing off the big fish, the size of the fish diminishes over time.  Third, it seems like they have a fear of what you can do regarding the status of carp.  Their quote from ten years ago are the indication of their fear.  Keep plugging away!

I have the latest copy of BASS magazine.  Chickamauga Lake (TN) is listed as one of the top 10 bass lakes in the US; also one of the top 100.  The state record LM bass was caught there last year.  Also, it is a great carp fishery.  I have been told there have been 40s caught from the lake.  Got it on my bucket list.

Got another idea.  That's two in one day!  Invite someone from the local paper to do an article on carp fishing.  Let them put one on the mat and tell of the experience.  That will do two things- you can fish and they can write about the fishing trip.

Finally got my membership paid...thx for the helpB)