Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Sign in to follow this  
FJR1

Sign up! - September 9, 2017 "Welcome Back" Tournament at Johnson-Sauk Trail Lake, Kewanee, IL

090917_banner_sauk.jpg

Due to some additional locations having been refined/improved by the staff at Johnson-Sauk Trail Lake and due to the Dixon Carp Derby having been reduced in scope, I am re-opening sign-ups for the September 9 "Welcome Back" Tournament.  Up to 24 anglers will be allowed to participate.   Anglers participating, so far:

1. Chad Bettisch
2. Anthony Hartung 
3. Emilio Montoya
4. Victor Zemeckis 
5. Michael Zemeckis
6. Chris Reitan
7. Chris Matthews
8. Tony Donato
9. James Kraft 
10. Brett Du Preez
11. Nick Lautwein 
12. James Revell
13. Jeff Hughes 
14. Oliver Hughes
15. Bill Hodge
16.  Fred Rhodes
17.  Eddie Cobb
18.  Frank Rink

fred_sauk_0916.jpg

Saturday, September 9, 2017 will mark the Illinois Tournament Series' "Welcome Back" Carp Tournament at Kewanee's Johnson Sauk Trail State Park. This event will feature a Big 4 format and will run from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. with a 6:00 a.m. peg choice.

This tournament's application has been approved by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources and by the Johnson-Sauk Trail State Park Superintendent.

Entry is $20 for the tournament with 100% payout to winning anglers at a rate of 50% for 1st, 30% for 2nd, and 20% for 3rd.  The top three anglers will also receive medals.

There will be an optional $10 side-pot for most carp caught with 100% payout to the top two anglers at a 60%-40% split. 

Peg choice will take place at 6:00 a.m. at the "usual" parking lot at the southwest side of the lake.

johnson_sauk_trail.jpg

Two rods per angler will be allowed.

Peg choice is at 6:00 a.m.  Anglers will choose pegs based on the number you draw prior to the event (Chip 1 gets first choice, chip two gets second choice, and so on.).  Anglers have the entire lake from which to fish.  You just need to give me an idea about where you are fishing.  If anglers fish in the same general area, the angler who had the earlier peg choice gets earlier choice of locations at the area.  Anglers may make one location move at any time during the tournament as long as they remain 10 paces from another participant's location.  The same distance must be observed for choosing initial locations. 

James_Kraft_brita_090316.jpg.53bdecc564eae0b2875d9622162fa39a.jpg

The tournament will run from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. 

In addition to the monetary prizes, medals will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place angler, to the top two "Total Number of Carp" winners, and to a "specialty" category winner. The "specialty" category will be announced at peg draw.

Medals for this event are pictured below.  They include 2 3/4" diameter medals in gold, silver, and bronze for 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the Big 3 event.  Recipients will also receive 50%-30%-20% of the entry fees for their accomplishments. (Click on the images for a larger view)
medals_fall_2016_ICFN_082516.jpg 

Two inch medals will be awarded to the top two anglers in the optional Total Number of Carp contest at the tournament ($10 entry).  Recipients will also receive 60%-40% of the contest pot for their accomplishments.
medals_fall2016_optional_total_carp.jpg

A two-inch "Specialty Event" medal will be awarded to the angler at this event who comes closest to fulfilling the specialty event criteria (announced at peg choice).  For this tournament, the "specialty event" winner will also receive a small bait or tackle prize.. 
medals_fall2016_specialty.jpg

We will meet at 6:00 a.m. at the usual parking lot in the Shabbona/Keokuk areas. The awards distribution will be held at the same place shortly after the conclusion of the event.

Safe carp care is a must. No treble hooks are allowed. Do not gill captured fish. Unhooking mats are required.

1. Ledger, feeder, hair-rigging, side-hooking, and float fishing are allowed. NO artificial lures such as jigs may be used. However, imitation baits are allowed: plastic corn, boilies, etc.

2. An angler MUST STRIKE and PLAY the fish UNASSISTED. In other words, if anyone other than the pegged angler touches the pole/reel with a fish on the line, that fish will not count. Netting the fish may be done by anyone. 
eddie_sauk_13+_0916.jpg

3. All fish will be weighed on the honor system or by the buddy-angler honor system (weigh-in witness and signature) if someone is in relatively close proximity to you! A fish must be released alive and able to swim away in good shape, or the fish WILL NOT COUNT! Eligible carp are commons, mirrors, crucians, hybrids/goldfish, and koi.
sauk_jim_chad_090316.jpg.73ec2ffdaf07c2785a10dbff083cfb1c.jpg

4. A fish must be hooked by the ending time of each event, and fishing stops at that time! Since we will all be fishing different locations, there will be no horn or whistle, just an honor system. If a carp is hooked just prior to the ending time, it must be out of the water within 15 minutes of the ending time. Once again, the honor system applies here. 

5. All anglers must have a valid Illinois fishing license. You wlll need a 2017 Illinois fishing license for events from April 1, 2017 through March 31, 2018.

6. The entry fees are $20 for the day. 100% of entries will be returned as prizes at the rate of 50% for first, 30% for second, and 20% for third. An optional side-contest for total number of captured carp will be $10 to enter.

7. You must catch a fish to win a prize. If nobody catches fish or if fewer than three anglers catch fish, the un-won entry fees will be returned to non-winners in equal portions. 
sauk_frank_0906_0903.jpg.1ed912bab0daad0526847d7216a84771.jpg

8. The session will be held no matter what the lake conditions are. However, dangerous weather may cause suspension, postponement, or cancellation.

9. If an angler arrives at his peg, and a local angler is fishing in that peg, then he is to set up as close as he can to his assigned peg. If that puts him too close to the next assigned peg, the angler at the next assigned peg will have to adjust, also, to allow both anglers room.

10. Tie-breakers--In the case of a tie in weight, the prize will be split evenly.

11. As a matter of courtesy and fairness to all, anglers and their designees are asked not to bait or fish the venue 24 hours prior to an event. Thank you.

12. For tournament results and angler recognition, please take photos of some of your catches and send them to the tournament host. 

13. There are times when anglers new to the venue or anglers not wanting to cover the entire entry fee may wish to fish with a buddy at the same peg. That will be allowed if you participate as one entry (single, $20 fee), and each of you fish with one rod. However, you need to let me know asap, so I can open more slots for those who may wish to attend. Thanks.

14. Have fun, be safe, and catch some fish! Good luck!
chris_r_2013_062015.jpg

Be watching for additional Illinois Carp Tournament Series events coming this fall. Thanks for your consideration! --Dr. Frank Rink

090917_banner_sauk.jpg

1 hour ago, Blacksheep said:

I'm in.

Nice, Larry. Maybe we get adjacent pegs this time. Plenty to discuss, I'm sure. 

6 hours ago, chris reitan said:

hello Frank.  I will fish

1 hour ago, Blacksheep said:

I'm in.

Thanks, Chris and Larry! :yourock:

Anglers participating, so far, in the September 9 "Welcome Back" Big 4 Carp Tournament at Johnson - Sauk Trail Lake  :yourock::

1. Chad Bettisch

2. Anthony Hartung 
3. Emilio Montoya
4. Victor Zemeckis 
5. Michael Zemeckis
6. Larry Seeman
7. Chris Reitan
8. Chris Matthews
9. Tony Donato
10. James Kraft 
11. Frank Rink

I just noticed that they rescheduled the Dixon Family Carp Derby from their usual August dates to September 9 and 10.  I will still conduct the Kewanee event on September 9, but if you want to go to Dixon, instead, just let me know, and I'll take you off this tournament's list.  No problem.

I don't want to conflict with Labor Day Weekend nor with Chad's event in Joliet scheduled for September 23, so Sept. 9 is about all that's left.  --Frank

Frank-too far for me for one day, but someday I'm coming to Illinois!!!......good luck/skill to all!!

6 hours ago, MOCarper said:

Frank-too far for me for one day, but someday I'm coming to Illinois!!!......good luck/skill to all!!

Thanks, Doc!  Hope to see you soon.

Anglers participating, so far, in the September 9 "Welcome Back" Big 4 Carp Tournament at Johnson - Sauk Trail Lake  :yourock::
1. Chad Bettisch

2. Anthony Hartung 
3. Emilio Montoya
4. Victor Zemeckis 
5. Michael Zemeckis
6. Larry Seeman
7. Chris Reitan
8. Chris Matthews
9. Tony Donato
10. James Kraft 
11. Frank Rink

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:31 PM, chris reitan said:

Nice, Larry. Maybe we get adjacent pegs this time. Plenty to discuss, I'm sure. 

That would be nice

23 hours ago, chris reitan said:

I will stick with Kewanee

I'm with Chris, Dixon isn't my thing.

Ten or 11 anglers should allow plenty of opportunities to fish adjacent pegs and to also find some carp-friendly locations.  I'm capping this at 16 to still provide those opportunities. 

Jody Houston and Russell Tripp are in.  Thank you gentlemen! :yourock:

There is a 16-participant limit.  Three openings remain.  
1. Chad Bettisch

2. Anthony Hartung 
3. Emilio Montoya
4. Victor Zemeckis 
5. Michael Zemeckis
6. Larry Seeman
7. Chris Reitan
8. Chris Matthews
9. Tony Donato
10. James Kraft 
11. Jody Houston

12. Russell Tripp
13. Frank Rink

Brett Du Preez is in!  Thanks, Brett! :yourock:

There is a 16-participant limit.  Just two openings remain.  
1. Chad Bettisch

2. Anthony Hartung 
3. Emilio Montoya
4. Victor Zemeckis 
5. Michael Zemeckis
6. Larry Seeman
7. Chris Reitan
8. Chris Matthews
9. Tony Donato
10. James Kraft 
11. Jody Houston

12. Russell Tripp
13. Brett Du Preez
14. Frank Rink

Nick Lautwein from Streator is in!  Thanks, Nick! :yourock:

There is a 16-participant limit.  Just one opening remains.  
1. Chad Bettisch

2. Anthony Hartung 
3. Emilio Montoya
4. Victor Zemeckis 
5. Michael Zemeckis
6. Larry Seeman
7. Chris Reitan
8. Chris Matthews
9. Tony Donato
10. James Kraft 
11. Jody Houston

12. Russell Tripp
13. Brett Du Preez
14. Nick Lautwein
15. Frank Rink

It's good to see some first-time participants at the Johnson-Sauk Trail venue!  Anglers will be asked to make peg choices.  To help those first-time contestants choose a peg, I have marked 16 locations on a lake map that have produced podium finishes during events in which I have participated at the Kewanee venue.  There are more locations, I suspect, with equal or even better potential, but these marked areas have been proven winners in the past.  In addition, you will be assisted during peg choice with directions to and names of these fishing areas. --Frank
honeyholes_sauk.jpg

8 hours ago, Blacksheep said:

Looks good as always Frank.

Thanks, Larry.

In response to some questions on the Illinois Carp Fishing NEWS Facebook site, some of you are coming to the event with buddies and have asked if you can fish from the same peg. That will be allowed if you participate as one entry (single, $20 fee), and each of you fish with one rod. However, you need to let me know asap, so I can open more slots for those who may wish to attend. Thanks. --Frank

We are full with 16 anglers signed up for the September 9 event. Best of luck!

This event is full. 
Anglers participating:

1. Chad Bettisch
2. Anthony Hartung 
3. Emilio Montoya
4. Victor Zemeckis 
5. Michael Zemeckis
6. Larry Seeman
7. Chris Reitan
8. Chris Matthews
9. Tony Donato
10. James Kraft 
11. Brett Du Preez
12. Nick Lautwein 
13. James Revell
14. Jeff Hughes 
15. Oliver Hughes
16. Frank Rink

Jeff and Oliver Hughes
11377172_1129898270369233_2008946138924864942_n.jpg
11248697_1141230195902707_5720729476907911214_n.jpg

IDNR has officially approved our September 9 "Welcome Back" Tournament:

"Hello Francis Rink

Your tournament application for JOHNSON SAUK TRAIL LAKE has been approved by both the site supervisor and IDNR Division of Fisheries.

Your tournament details: 
APPROVED: APPROVE 
ID: 7119 
Date: 09-09-2017 through 09-09-2017 
Start Time: 7 
Species: Common Carp 
Ramp Location: Johnson Sauk
Weigh-in Location: Johnson Sauk"

Through the work of Victor Zemeckis and due to the generosity of Wacker Bait and Tackle in Cary, IL, some additional prizes will be offered for the September 9 tournament:
Catapult for big carp
1kg of Buckeye Blend
1kg of Sinking Fish Pellets
2oz of Scopex corn pips

2oz ofTutti-frutti corn pips

Thanks, so much!  - Frank

090917_banner_sauk.jpg

This event is full. 
Anglers participating:

1. Chad Bettisch
2. Anthony Hartung 
3. Emilio Montoya
4. Victor Zemeckis 
5. Michael Zemeckis
6. Larry Seeman
7. Chris Reitan
8. Chris Matthews
9. Tony Donato
10. James Kraft 
11. Brett Du Preez
12. Nick Lautwein 
13. James Revell
14. Jeff Hughes 
15. Oliver Hughes
16. Frank Rink

On 8/8/2017 at 8:59 PM, Blacksheep said:

Looking good as always Frank.

Thanks, as always, Larry.  Looking forward to getting back to some tournament fishing at a productive, picturesque venue among friendly anglers who are well versed in proper carp care.  --Frank