Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

What an unusual evening!!!........I have a creek two minutes by drive, from the house, with one nice pool at a bend in the creek,.......hooked this 5lbr, and had 2 other poles out. To avoid tangling I reel in the other rods, and this time, WHAM, something hit the corn I was reeling in, so I played both fish-landed this long nosed gar first-put it in the sling, then netted the carp!.....I focused on gar a couple years ago using rope lures, and have caught short and long nosed gar which are common here, but its one of my most unusual doubles!- usually a green sunfish hits the other rod(s) I'm reeling.........2 more carp (1-5 and 6-4), a soft-shell turtle and a red eared slider turtle was also caught.........that's why ya love fishing-you just never know!!.....   :)

Common 5lb 4oz Aug 2 2017.JPGLong nosed gar double Aug 2 2017.JPGCommon 1lb 5 oz Aug 2 2017.JPGCommon 6lb 4 oz Aug 2 2017.JPG

nice fish that gar is cool to. i went fishing on my bday a couple months ago and caught a big soft shell turtle weighed around 6lbs

Now that is quite a unique story! Love the gar. Never caught one...

That's a very cool double!!!

I've never landed a gar, but I've hooked them on minnows when fishing for other species.

I caught a long nosed gar last year...foul hooked it as I was reeling in. I guestimated it at 10lb as it was 4-5 feet long. I got it in my net and it proceeded to slash with its jaws and completely destroyed the net! I was just glas I didn't have to extract my hook from anywhere close to its jaws!

Re-reading this post, I noticed that you pointed out that the gar hit your corn "as you were reeling it in".   That reminded me of a largemouth bass I caught many years ago -- early 1960's -- while fishing for carp with dough balls.

Back in those days it was common to fish a rig with a "bank" sinker tied at the end of the line, with two loops tied roughly 6" to 1' above the sinker, to which two snelled hooks would be attached.  Then we'd put doughballs on the two hooks.

The dough we used in those days would last for about 1/2 hour, so if we didn't have a bite, we'd reel in, re-bait and recast.  Most of the time what little dough was left on the hook would wash off as we reeled. 

One day, as I was reeling in to re-bait, a largemouth of about 1-1/2 pounds struck one of my hooks.  That puzzled me for a while, until I realized that I was picking up some slimy pond weed as I reeled -- and the moving hook with the green mossy weed very closely resembled a small green sunfish.  I can only assume that's why that bass hit my "empty" hook.