Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

pickerd

Self Photos with Your Smartphone

Most carp fishermen have to learn the art of taking a self photo.  You’re alone the bank alone and you catch a good size fish, and you want to get a photo of you holding the fish.  How do you do it? The “old” way I used to do it was with a camera.  I had a Canon compact camera and I set the timer for the shutter and the number of shots. Then I pressed the shutter button and ran into the camera’s view with the fish while the self timer clicked away.

I now generally have a better and more convenient way to get the photo with my smartphone.  I should mention that I do not have an expensive smartphone.  It is a recently purchased LG Aristo phone that I bought for $100 on sale.  But, it has some phenomenal features when it comes to taking pictures. It also takes 13 megapixel photos. The most important feature is something called voice shutter.  It’s in the settings and I keep it turned on.  This eliminates any self timer.  You get into the picture and simply say “smile” or “cheese” and it snaps the picture when you say so.  I will hold the fish at different angles and direct the phone when to take the photos.  In addition, my phone has photo editing capabilities.  I can rotate the photo, crop it, enhance it, etc. right in the phone.  It’s a photo editing program built into the phone. Amazing!

Here’s what else you need for those self photos with the phone.  You will need some type of holder.  You could use a tripod, but I prefer to use a bankstick with a mount called a Gardner camera angle (screws into the bankstick). The cell phone will not screw into my camera mount as a camera does so I purchased an adapter called a Vastar Universal Tripod Adapter Cell Phone Holder. This ingenious little tool is a cell phone holder that screws into the Gardner camera angle, and it is adjustable for your size cell phone.  I got it at Amazon for about 8 bucks.  A real buy!

So that’s it.  Take a look at the photo I have for an example.  All done very easily and conveniently with my smartphone!

001 (500x375).jpg

003 (500x375).jpg

005 (375x500).jpg

007 (375x500).jpg

008 (375x500).jpg

20170815_112959-1 (500x369).jpg

That is VERY clever! You should get this little piece published in the next NACA!

Another thing you may consider is a Bluetooth shutter button. It's a very small watch battery powered device that pairs with your cell phone. They are very cheap on eBay and has greatly improved my carp "selfies." :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Remote-Control-Bluetooth-Selfie-GO-Camera-Shutter-for-Monopod-US-iPhone-/292136573603?epid=1543253181&hash=item4404b25aa3:g:m0kAAOSw-3FZL7N0

re1.jpg

Notice the shutter button between my thumb and index finger.

kXjbcv4l.jpg

Shutter button is hidden behind the fish

Xyay5xSl.jpg

Ah, technology....it can be a beautiful thing when it all works right.

Nice photos!

Great information, thanks! I have already been using the voice camera option on my phone, but I had a lot of difficulty find the right camera angle and support. I'll definitely have to add this to my equipment.

Since stupid Siri can't activate the shutter (Apple, you have to be kidding me!), I downloaded a free app called "Voice Enabled Camera", which works great on the iPhone.

........or......................go to your camera; hit the 10 second remote button, and the reverse button- set the phone where you can see yourself-hit the button and you have 10 seconds to position the fish/scale/logo.....works very well (with cooperative fish)....For evening shots I place a small lantern-put the phone in front, between you and the lantern/light-I also turn off the flash-gives a more night time feel..... :).........I also have a $1.00 tiny tripod which fits my phone (dollar store/cvs/)....you can also set the "bursts" which takes 5 photos at a time- there are subtle differences in each pic- I happen to like using the ones with the carp's mouth open........  , but I'll try the app too!!.....

39 minutes ago, MOCarper said:

........or......................go to your camera; hit the 10 second remote button, and the reverse button- set the phone where you can see yourself-hit the button and you have 10 seconds to position the fish/scale/logo.....works very well (with cooperative fish)....

This is what I typically do, but I often get a hard time with the bigger fish, 10 seconds is rather short... There is a 12 seconds delay function on the iPhone, by the way. Why in hell are so few camera manufacturers allowing to customize the delay, I will never understand... This often makes for funny pics of me struggling with the fish though...

Set the camera timer and run real fast!

and when you don't...... :).....not quite Big Four quality from this spring and fall.........:).....catfish do it too!!!...IMG_4560.JPGIMG_4576.JPGcarp 030.JPGIMG_1791.JPG