Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Hello everyone, please excuse my many questions in this post; I've been having way to many problems with my leaders lately. Let me explain:

Almost all of my fishing spots require a 5 ounce lead to hold current. And I don't know if this is true, but I've heard for every ounce of lead, you need 10 pounds of line pound test to not snap off on the cast. However, I am only using a 30lb braided mainline. My idea to work around this was tying about 20 feet of 80 pound braid from my rig to my mainline, using a uni knot. It hasn't been working as well as I'd thought it would.. 

it seems that whenever I cast, the bulky line-to-line knot bumps the top eye of my rod, sometimes causing it to tangle. Just today, in fact, upon casting not just my rig but my rod tip went flying into the water, because my leader tangled around the top eye and snapped the line. Which brings me to why I'm writing this.

Apparently, I need a leader with at least 50 pounds breaking strain, and I would prefer it to be braid, if possible. I've looked at Korda tapered leaders and such, but most are mono and do not have 50 pound test. Alternatively, is there some less bulky knot, with shorter tag ends, I could use to tie the two lines together?

If you are still alive after reading this, thank you!

Edited by Lizardman529

1 hour ago, Lizardman529 said:

Hello everyone, please excuse my many questions in this post; I've been having way to many problems with my leaders lately. Let me explain:

Almost all of my fishing spots require a 5 ounce lead to hold current. And I don't know if this is true, but I've heard for every ounce of lead, you need 10 pounds of line pound test to not snap off on the cast. However, I am only using a 30lb braided mainline. My idea to work around this was tying about 20 feet of 80 pound braid from my rig to my mainline, using a uni knot. It hasn't been working as well as I'd thought it would.. 

it seems that whenever I cast, the bulky line-to-line knot bumps the top eye of my rod, sometimes causing it to tangle. Just today, in fact, upon casting not just my rig but my rod tip went flying into the water, because my leader tangled around the top eye and snapped the line. Which brings me to why I'm writing this.

Apparently, I need a leader with at least 50 pounds breaking strain, and I would prefer it to be braid, if possible. I've looked at Korda tapered leaders and such, but most are mono and do not have 50 pound test. Alternatively, is there some less bulky knot, with shorter tag ends, I could use to tie the two lines together?

If you are still alive after reading this, thank you!

30lb mainline should be fine casting 5oz leads.

I cast 5oz leads with 24lb mono or 30lb braid mainline with no issues and no need for leaders.

If I'm casting extreme distances (over 100yds) with lighter mono mainline (12-18lb) then I'll attach a 30lb braid leader using a FG knot which creates a very slim knot

Thanks so much! Guess I don't need a leader after all!

Two words. Crazy Alberto! Well I guess one word and one name. Either way the strongest, easiest, and slimmest of all the knots I have used. Check it out. 

if unhindered passage through the guides while casting is your goal, FG wins out -- Crazy Alberto & Albright are fine knots, but they double the mono, while the FG does not

if you're bothered by the knot bumping the guides on the retrieve, Alberto/Albright might be a better choice because the mono tag end points the other way (no matter how close you clip the tag end on heavy mono, it's still a significant protrusion)

if you still want to do 30-to-80 braid, get HOLLOW 80# braid & do a SPLICE -- slimmer by far & stronger than ANY braid/braid knot

Edited by philaroman

You might try FLUOROCARBON main line as it doesn't float. I find it helps in current, Also baits can roll down current use bigger boilies..you  can cut in 1/2 as well as denser base mix like swapping soy with masa flour..and a product used in Deer hunting called stump likker...seems to be molasses based with amino and minerals carp love it and its dense and seems to hug the bottom in current

evolved-habitats-stump-likker-deer-attractant-45-ounce_28086448.jpeg

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I'll try the hollow 80# braid, and splice it. Will an FG knot work for braid to braid knots?

Edited by Lizardman529

2 hours ago, Lizardman529 said:

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I'll try the hollow 80# braid, and splice it. Will an FG knot work for braid to braid knots?

No - its a braid to mono knot.

Still don't understand why you need 80lb for a shock leader with 5oz leads... unless you are fishing over zebra mussels?

On 9/1/2017 at 1:22 PM, Savayman said:

No - its a braid to mono knot.

Still don't understand why you need 80lb for a shock leader with 5oz leads... unless you are fishing over zebra mussels?

I don't need one really, I just remembered hearing somewhere that 1oz = 10lb line, etc. I'm going to stick to just my 30lb braid mainline and see how that goes.