Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Lizardman529

Poll: Where would you fish this swim?

Hello fellow carpers! I've been extremely exited for a session I'll be doing next weekend, but just a bit curious as to where I should go. The place I normally fish has access to the main portion of the delaware river, with a bay/cove and a small "creek" connecting the two. The first image I attached has a satellite view of the location, and the 3 spots I'm thinking about fishing. I normally fish in the spot marked "C" in the back cove, because it has almost no current, and a drop off down to about 10 feet off the point. My only concern is that there will be less fish in the cove, because they would have to swim out of their way and all the way back into the bay from the main river, and less fish would end up there. They would have to "exit" the highway that is the flow of the main river. Spot "B" is OK, but an incredible amount of snags and current make it virtually unfishable. Spot "A" has a mild current, and otherwise is OK except that is completely lacking any features whatsoever - it's just a flat sand bed about 5' deep. Any thoughts?

Riverwinds_ABC.png

I'd go with "A" - any fish travelling to points "B" and "C" must go through "A" - unless they come from (downstream??) of "A".

Bait up "A" - the fish will find it.

I would try A, unless you can hit the spot between A and B. The fish will travel as they forage and due to the opening of the cove will be likely to pass that point. I think you will jave more fish passing your hook there.

7 hours ago, Lizardman529 said:

...My only concern is that there will be less fish in the cove, because they would have to swim out of their way and all the way back into the bay from the main river, and less fish would end up there. They would have to "exit" the highway that is the flow of the main river...

never know...  coves like that may be a refuge from strong post-rain current, AND/OR may get "patrlloed" on a schedule & be quite productive for a couple/few daily windows...

I'd start A side of B in dry weather; C side of B  for high/falling water levers...  ideally, feed up two close spots -- on either side of B -- where I could float-fish the snaggy channel close in, while being able to distance cast to drastically different habitat (river or cove)...  better yet, go w/ a friend; do individual recon for a couple hours; then, fish together on the better "corner"

Fish where the bottom is best, chum the jeezus out of it but put a "bread trail" to it from the main channel with boiled maze....and the main area make the chum area more diverse beans, corn, peanuts.. boiled corn chops (makes a blob of corn goo that makes great method balls), whole oats (groats) boiled rice...chick peas, hemp..always hemp....a hand full or too of feeder boilees...should have at least a 5 gal bucket of mixed particles....and 5 of boiled whole maze...and one of corn chops goo balls (mix in rolled oats to make the balls)

the current should cause the bay water to swirl, toss in some corn cobs "dry" in the bay they will end up where the current takes food and carp will always be there...

as a note thats how they used to find drowning victim back in the day

4 hours ago, MoCarp said:

Fish where the bottom is best, chum the jeezus out of it but put a "bread trail" to it from the main channel with boiled maze....and the main area make the chum area more diverse beans, corn, peanuts.. boiled corn chops (makes a blob of corn goo that makes great method balls), whole oats (groats) boiled rice...chick peas, hemp..always hemp....a hand full or too of feeder boilees...should have at least a 5 gal bucket of mixed particles....and 5 of boiled whole maze...and one of corn chops goo balls (mix in rolled oats to make the balls)

the current should cause the bay water to swirl, toss in some corn cobs "dry" in the bay they will end up where the current takes food and carp will always be there...

as a note thats how they used to find drowning victim back in the day

Where should I make the trail, at spot A? Or maybe from a-c and make them hold at c with a more diverse particle?

And when you say chum where the current takes it- that is between b and c. The current completely stops at the point and all food going down the b channel ends up there. Should I leave a trail from the main channel to inbetween b and c?

Edited by Lizardman529

I'd set up so I could fish A and B at same time. maybe set 2 rods to each direction. If I had to chose one over the other to start I'd probably fish B and adjust as nessasary.

Chum and they will come!

2 hours ago, Lizardman529 said:

Where should I make the trail, at spot A? Or maybe from a-c and make them hold at c with a more diverse particle?

And when you say chum where the current takes it- that is between b and c. The current completely stops at the point and all food going down the b channel ends up there. Should I leave a trail from the main channel to inbetween b and c?

Pre baiting a couple times before you fish will really help, chum ..3 days later chum again but a little lighter than 1st time..3 more days fish

and you have the general idea what way does the current flow? remember they will trail the scent from down current, like lions stalk wildebeest....so you may need  at least at first a heavy bread crumb trail, range cubes do well in current as chum anything that can hold bottom...you can load a 6 foot section of PVC pipe...drill a few holes fill it with molasses soaked maze and put enough weight to hold in any current...try to keep you chumming on the d-low....least your swim gets shot up, of meat fishermen make a raid

Riverwinds_ABC.png.d7ceb24213b6a8cd60dfde144a1e52fa.png

The water I'm fishing is tidal, so the flow and direction of the current will change by the hour. Regardless of tides, there is a strong current entering the "b" Channel from the main river, pushing all bait from spot a, through spot b and into the C cove. Basically, all chum I put at b ends up at c, which is a completely slack eddy perfect for holding bait. Do you think carp would add this spot to their daily patrol routes if I chum enough?

Edited by Lizardman529

18 hours ago, Lizardman529 said:

The water I'm fishing is tidal, so the flow and direction of the current will change by the hour. Regardless of tides, there is a strong current entering the "b" Channel from the main river, pushing all bait from spot a, through spot b and into the C cove. Basically, all chum I put at b ends up at c, which is a completely slack eddy perfect for holding bait. Do you think carp would add this spot to their daily patrol routes if I chum enough?

yes! but with the current you can't chum just anything to hold in A-B areas as you notice.....I would say C is an eddy area where chum/food does accumulate , feeder boilees, cut in half, don't roll as easy..dence base mix, say 50/50 semolina-masa corn flower, a Capsicum based attracters (peppers) like chili powder and black pepper 

I'd make up a buttload of feeder baits, you could roll them out in sausages, and flatten them a bit then cut them in 1/2 inch sections, be less likely to roll around as much since you don't roll them just enriched flour will work..no oil ether..less to make them float!

per large egg....40g masa flour.... 40g enriched wheat flour.....14g powderd milk..... 1.5 g black pepper..... 1.5 g chili powder....1.5g MSG......1.5g salt......500mg l-lysine (one pill crushed... 1ml of Tai Fish sauce 

This is a VERY cheap effective feeder boilee you can make several pounds!... to make hook baits add 1ml sesame seed oil to help roll, change out the plain flour for semolina...35g/35g masa/semo....add 10g hemp flour to the base mix (you can grind your own in a spice grinder)

I like to take some hemp seed and flash roast them in a wok, then grind them in my spice grinder....

you can make 10# or so feeder "boilees" pretty quick that way...

do you have issues with crabs there?

1 hour ago, MoCarp said:

yes! but with the current you can't chum just anything to hold in A-B areas as you notice.....I would say C is an eddy area where chum/food does accumulate , feeder boilees, cut in half, don't roll as easy..dence base mix, say 50/50 semolina-masa corn flower, a Capsicum based attracters (peppers) like chili powder and black pepper 

I'd make up a buttload of feeder baits, you could roll them out in sausages, and flatten them a bit then cut them in 1/2 inch sections, be less likely to roll around as much since you don't roll them just enriched flour will work..no oil ether..less to make them float!

per large egg....40g masa flour.... 40g enriched wheat flour.....14g powderd milk..... 1.5 g black pepper..... 1.5 g chili powder....1.5g MSG......1.5g salt......500mg l-lysine (one pill crushed... 1ml of Tai Fish sauce 

This is a VERY cheap effective feeder boilee you can make several pounds!... to make hook baits add 1ml sesame seed oil to help roll, change out the plain flour for semolina...35g/35g masa/semo....add 10g hemp flour to the base mix (you can grind your own in a spice grinder)

I like to take some hemp seed and flash roast them in a wok, then grind them in my spice grinder....

you can make 10# or so feeder "boilees" pretty quick that way...

do you have issues with crabs there?

I never have any crab problems, but maybe it's just because my favorite hookbait is the Korda Fake Food plastic corn... the crabs probably are avoiding it; it is plastic, after all..

I would try your boilie recipe, but in my year of fishing this spot I have never had a single take when fishing a boilie, even after introducing the fish to them for several weeks. They seem to prefer corn a lot more.. even the fish on my profile picture (my PB) was caught at location c on fake corn.

I've made an updated chumming plan based on your suggestion, tell me what you think:

I plan to chum over a 4 day period, once a day at 5:00 PM. I will leave a maize trail from spot a to c, and put a mixed particle of corn, oats, peanuts and chickpeas at spot c. Schedule below:

Day 1: 6 cups maize trail, 5 gallons mixed particle

Day 2: 6 cups maize trail, 5 gallons mixed particle

Day 3: 3 cups maize trail, 3 gallons mixed particle

Day 4: 3 cups maize trail, 3 gallons mixed particle

Day 5&6: Fish! ;)

Thoughts?

I would say B and C hold the best chances if extra water and color is in there. It would also mean less rubbish on the line if the river is in flood. Having said that, I have read several articles that have stated that we catch fish in the backwaters in those conditions because that is where we fish when the river is high. The fish, I am told, tend to stay in the main flow. So I put that to the test last weekend...I used a grippa 87g feeder out in the main flow and lighter feeders in the baskswim. Only bites were in the backswim, but then I gave up on the main flow due to the collection of leaves and twigs on my line.

I would opt for A in "normal" conditions, but make A a bit downstream and not too far out. Carp tend to hug the margins and so I target water with a depth  I think they would be comfortable in ...and that depends on river color. Most of the food is going to be falling off the overhanging branches or entering from side streams, hence the carp will be where the natural food is. So I would look for an A area where downstream is quiet and where there are some nice overhanging trees/snags. The idea then is to pull feeding carp up from the snags onto my feed..so some nice scents and a few freebies.

Cheers

Tony

19 hours ago, Lizardman529 said:

I plan to chum over a 4 day period, once a day at 5:00 PM. I will leave a maize trail from spot a to c, and put a mixed particle of corn, oats, peanuts and chickpeas at spot c. Schedule below:

Day 1: 6 cups maize trail, 5 gallons mixed particle

Day 2: 6 cups maize trail, 5 gallons mixed particle

Day 3: 3 cups maize trail, 3 gallons mixed particle

Day 4: 3 cups maize trail, 3 gallons mixed particle

Day 5&6: Fish! ;)

Thoughts?

sounds like a plan! The feeder boilees, were do hold better as chum in current...If I was fishing it I would use pop up plastic maze...glugged...I have always caught my biggest carp on boilees....maze for numbers...but one rod always has a boilee for me..good luck and take pics and share!

Edited by MoCarp
added thought and spelling