Carp Anglers Group Forums
  • Announcements

Mr. CEO

How Would You Fish and Extremely Large Body of Water?

I'm a Michigander and I really want to try carp fishing in the great lakes but I don't know where to start. I'm just baffled at the size of them when ever I'm there or looking at it on Google Earth and it's pretty intimidating. :) Do I simply go up on the sandy beach and just cast out? Or should I fish rivers/canals that are very close, and connected to the great lakes or other inlets with a much faster drop off? Any advice?

Edited by Mr. CEO

Best way is boil some corn and pre bait...find a nice place to set up and pull the fish to you!...50# of corn is cheap..once fish know food is there they will come back....once spring gets here and fish are in a feeding mood...I'd use a turkey fryer set up and boil up a whole bag of corn put it in 5 gal buckets and use a 50 pound bag of rolled oats and a bit of regular flour to make method balls lob them out with a catapult or baiting spoon on a long handle pick several spots along the shore and don't forget the margins.... do that twice..over about 10 days then go fishing.....I'd bet you'll catch some mammoth fish....

Like any body of water it is all about location. I would spend some time looking for signs of fish (early morning or evening is best) before even taking the rods out. Check out likely areas where there are river or stream inlets or outlets, bays or areas with structure. Wind and sub surface currents will play a major factor. A windward shore may reap rewards as it usually brings food and warmer water. The more you break it down into smaller segments the less overwhelming it will seem and the more you will see the opportunities.

Ok thanks guys.

I know I recommended two swims on Lake Erie (in Cleveland), but if you are concerned about the size of the water then there are much better alternatives for you. After all, the most important part of carp fishing is your confidence, not the bait you use or the gear you have. The swims I recommended aren't inherently bad for fishing, but since they are directly on the main lake with little structure to hold the fish naturally, they would simply require a gargantuan amount of chum to hold the fish. If you are OK with following MoCarp's suggestion (boiling 50 pounds of maize and driving an hour to chum 10 days in a row seems a bit time consuming), then those swims will produce unimaginable numbers of carp over 30 pounds. However, since you're travelling to see a friend in another state I doubt either of you would be able to prebait anything in advance. Prebaiting is still going to be an advantage no matter where you choose to fish, but finding an area with lots of structure where the fish feed naturally may allow you to catch fish without chumming at all.

Such a place is the marina on East 55th street. Carp are not shy of human activity, like their Euro cousins across the pond. In fact, over in the United States it is quite the opposite. A marina will likely have people around, and people mean bread for the ducks (and carp)! Additionally, the boat docks provide cover for the carp and bait fish they occasionally eat. As well as that, the marina is sheltered from the swift currents and winds of the main lake from a row of trees on the opposite bank from the boat docks.. that is where you should fish. Alternatively, if you'd like to try a little tributary fishing you should visit Wendy Park. It sits directly at the confluence of the Cuyahoga river and Lake Erie, meaning any carp entering or exiting the mighty Cuyahoga must pass in front of Wendy Park. No matter where you choose to fish, prebaiting would certainly increase the numbers of carp that you catch, but you may be able to land a few fish without prebaiting, if you fish at either Wendy Park or the East 55th street marina.

9 hours ago, Lizardman529 said:

I know I recommended two swims on Lake Erie (in Cleveland), but if you are concerned about the size of the water then there are much better alternatives for you. After all, the most important part of carp fishing is your confidence, not the bait you use or the gear you have. The swims I recommended aren't inherently bad for fishing, but since they are directly on the main lake with little structure to hold the fish naturally, they would simply require a gargantuan amount of chum to hold the fish. If you are OK with following MoCarp's suggestion (boiling 50 pounds of maize and driving an hour to chum 10 days in a row seems a bit time consuming), then those swims will produce unimaginable numbers of carp over 30 pounds. However, since you're travelling to see a friend in another state I doubt either of you would be able to prebait anything in advance. Prebaiting is still going to be an advantage no matter where you choose to fish, but finding an area with lots of structure where the fish feed naturally may allow you to catch fish without chumming at all.

Such a place is the marina on East 55th street. Carp are not shy of human activity, like their Euro cousins across the pond. In fact, over in the United States it is quite the opposite. A marina will likely have people around, and people mean bread for the ducks (and carp)! Additionally, the boat docks provide cover for the carp and bait fish they occasionally eat. As well as that, the marina is sheltered from the swift currents and winds of the main lake from a row of trees on the opposite bank from the boat docks.. that is where you should fish. Alternatively, if you'd like to try a little tributary fishing you should visit Wendy Park. It sits directly at the confluence of the Cuyahoga river and Lake Erie, meaning any carp entering or exiting the mighty Cuyahoga must pass in front of Wendy Park. No matter where you choose to fish, prebaiting would certainly increase the numbers of carp that you catch, but you may be able to land a few fish without prebaiting, if you fish at either Wendy Park or the East 55th street marina.

I'll be sure to check out those spots on google earth. I hate how prebaiting provides such an advantage but often times the water your going to fish is too far out of the way to drive there and back everyday (at least for me). The closest decent body of water for carp fishing from my house is 30 minutes. All others are 45 minute to 1+hour drives. :(

On 10/8/2017 at 11:36 PM, Mr. CEO said:

I'll be sure to check out those spots on google earth. I hate how prebaiting provides such an advantage but often times the water your going to fish is too far out of the way to drive there and back everyday (at least for me). The closest decent body of water for carp fishing from my house is 30 minutes. All others are 45 minute to 1+hour drives. :(

Yeah, same goes for me.. over here in New Jersey I have some OK waters about 20 minutes away, but my favorite swim is 35 minutes away and a real pain to prebait...

On 10/5/2017 at 10:03 AM, MoCarp said:

Best way is boil some corn and pre bait...find a nice place to set up and pull the fish to you!...50# of corn is cheap..once fish know food is there they will come back....once spring gets here and fish are in a feeding mood...I'd use a turkey fryer set up and boil up a whole bag of corn put it in 5 gal buckets and use a 50 pound bag of rolled oats and a bit of regular flour to make method balls lob them out with a catapult or baiting spoon on a long handle pick several spots along the shore and don't forget the margins.... do that twice..over about 10 days then go fishing.....I'd bet you'll catch some mammoth fish....

You left out the mix- do you regularly use tap water, lake water or sweet/creamed corn?...I like sweet corn juice with panko/bread crumb balls, but my base is the boiled corn, sometimes with vanilla added..........

I use well water for boiling everything.....if I am making a method mix I like oats pack/cream corn most of the year sometimes grits,.... winter bread crumb/canned sweet corn...a spoon of crushed red pepper rocks in boiled corn..corn chops boiled turns into a big goo..dumped into and ice chest and pour in rolled oats (can get it in 50# bags at a feed store) pre make your method balls...you can spike up the mix with hemp seed, boiled pop corn, peanuts, chick peas...a touch of deer attractant called "stump liquor" I use a baiting spoon and lob out big orange sized balls...do that most anywhere there are carp you will haul fish....be stealthy because Bfers will shoot you out........

2 hours ago, MoCarp said:

I use well water for boiling everything.....if I am making a method mix I like oats pack/cream corn most of the year sometimes grits,.... winter bread crumb/canned sweet corn...a spoon of crushed red pepper rocks in boiled corn..corn chops boiled turns into a big goo..dumped into and ice chest and pour in rolled oats (can get it in 50# bags at a feed store) pre make your method balls...you can spike up the mix with hemp seed, boiled pop corn, peanuts, chick peas...a touch of deer attractant called "stump liquor" I use a baiting spoon and lob out big orange sized balls...do that most anywhere there are carp you will haul fish....be stealthy because Bfers will shoot you out........

What are Bfers? And does your feed corn have black lines on it like mine? I have yet to catch a carp on feed corn and was wondering it the feed corn I got wasn't up to quality.

I would hazard to guess "bowhunters"....the majority of which I have seen are indiscriminate-taking any and all carp......I lob balls of pack bait, but none as large as oranges- I'll give it a whirl!!......

4 hours ago, MoCarp said:

15 hours ago, Mr. CEO said:

What are Bfers? And does your feed corn have black lines on it like mine? I have yet to catch a carp on feed corn and was wondering it the feed corn I got wasn't up to quality.

:lol: an affectionate term for those that "stab harvest" fish....feed corn rocks never noticed a black line reddish maybe, I take out a handful of boiled maize and use for hook baits prob the best go to bait....in a big stock pot presoak it 24 hours then boil for 30 or so min or until it starts to split... a 1/4 cup of salt and a table spoon of crushed red pepper..and use well water or in a pinch distilled water..lots of flavor options off the shelf in the grocery store, just remember the golden rule "less is more!" when i first started I over flavored the jeezus out of my baits..I think it overwhelms a carps sensory perception...so a 1/3 teaspoon in a 1/2 full bucket of fresh boiled maize is PLENTY even less if its a concentrate...a single packet of  jello (some very interesting flavors) in that 1/2 bucket of boiled maize, with the water mostly drained off, stir in the jello while the corn is still hot, put the lid on and its ready for your next days fishing

2308_00043000206362.jpg

12985615.jpeg

62de1df3-b876-4e36-b016-acfd92c539e8_1.38880b752332faddcc3340b7490b0794.jpeg

13 hours ago, MOCarper said:

I would hazard to guess "bowhunters"....the majority of which I have seen are indiscriminate-taking any and all carp......I lob balls of pack bait, but none as large as oranges- I'll give it a whirl!!......

only reason I make the balls that big is I can chunk them out farther on my baiting spoon with 5 foot handle, any bigger they don't fly out as far and it sounds like someone lobbing bricks in the water...:huh:..I catapult them out, golf ball size when I am fishing as I don't want that much noise...as a note in a pinch a big method ball can be a personal space defense weapon..it the dark-no lights-dress in camo - give a new meaning to "death from above"..ask me about my special cat chit/litter and coyote urine method balls sometime

that makes sense!...............uggghhhhhhhh-totally blanked last night except for this large cat-- 11lb, 13oz-the only hit.................used panko/strawberry/sweet corn/bird seed pack bait on hair-rig method feeder-one rod homemade boilee, one fake corn, and one pineapple crush pop-up....on top of boiled corn/creamed corn chum (but only about 5-8 lbs, and 3 hours fishin)........nuthin (and during solunar table major bite!)....oh well.......

FullSizeRender.jpg