Carp Anglers Group Forums
Brian Pearcy

NTrap vs. Coated Braid

I have fished 4 years plus with hair rigs tied from PowerPro braid. I got some N Trap late in the season, but didn't have confidence to use it.

What are some advantages of using the semi-stiff material for hair rigs?

Have I been missing the boat all these years?

Coated braid offers a few advantages, depending on the type of fishing you are doing. 

It's not a supple material which means it's less likely to tangle on the cast. Also, you can strip off a section of the material and tie your knotless knot hair rig and have an inch or more supple section next to the hook. This creates an easy version of the combi-rig.

In some cases I use the coated hook-link as it resets better when you have lots of activity. 

If Powerpro is working for you, I'd suggest you keep using it :)

I use power-pro braid and like it a lot, perfecting my hair rigs on a method feeder but I use monofilament for main line.....8/15lb.... Older hairs are starting to fray, but all lines eventually do!

I started out the same way. I feel coated kicks your rigs away on the landing better. When I was using regular braid it seemed like I was getting tangled a lot more. Also easier for advanced rigs also such as hinged rigs, multi rigs and whatnot to get the presentation you are after. 

coated braid all the way.  I never use straight braid.  Unless you prefer to fish pva bags, where your whole rig is inside, yes.  Standard rig?  I use korda IQ and coated braid.