Carp Anglers Group Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sorter

Carp Rod Blanks

Any one aware of any retailers, or manufacturers in the United States that sell Carp Rod Blanks. IE 12'-14'. 2-4 piece rods, that are rated to cast up to 4 ounces? 

No.  I build custom rods for 8 years.  Mudhole, in Florida, had some but discontinued them.  St. Croix has carp rods but I can't remember if the blanks are available.  Contact Mudhole.

Thanks for the info Cannonball. I saw your other thread from awhile back before posting this, its a shame really. But I guess according to some estimates the total number of Carp Anglers in the US ranges from between 4000-20000 so I understand why manufacturers are not producing them when its likely only a tiny fraction of these anglers are interested in custom rods of this sort. 

It might even be cheaper to import for a company and forego the development of a mandrel, and the research that goes into making a new rod. Especially when the market is going to probably be sub 200 rods any given year in the US. 

The thing I ran into was people wanted a custom rod at a K-Mart price.  I did find a niche as the Dayton, TN area is becoming a mecca for bass tourneys- as many as 400 boats in one tourney.  They were dividing them into two marinas for the start.  An outdoor expo could be a boom for sales.  But, I gave it up as I didn't want a full time job.  Retired from one- didn't need another.  Plus, the wife retired 18 months ago, so that was also a factor.

sorter,

It is really tuff to find American blanks that have the same properties as the euro carp rods......I have spent hundreds of dollars on shipping charges ordering and sending back blanks trying to find the right feel and casting ability.

Lamiglass has a few 12' steelhead blanks that are close to what you could call a 2 1/2 lb  test curve.  

a lot of the saltwater blanks that are 12' are just to stiff and a lot of the steelhead and salmon blanks are just to soft.

so far the last 3 sets of carp rods I have built for myself I just ordered blanks from the UK.......yes they are are expensive but damn they are the best if you are looking for something nice.

I have a new HMX 12' -  2 3/4# blank that I got from the MUDHOLE 2 years ago that I can  sell you but I only have the one blank.

If you are looking to go the UK route I have had really good luck with Harrison Blanks, I have built their Chimera , Ballista and Accurix  blanks and they were all nice and performed well......I fished with a set of 3 - 2.75# TC Chimera's for 20 years.....I love those rods, I recently built 4 - 3 lb. TC Accurix blanks that turned out awesome. I like a softer fish playing style rod versus a power casting rod, just my personal taste , but Harrison has blanks that you should be able to find any style you are looking for.

Merry Christmas!

On 12/23/2017 at 5:47 PM, Sorter said:

Any one aware of any retailers, or manufacturers in the United States that sell Carp Rod Blanks. IE 12'-14'. 2-4 piece rods, that are rated to cast up to 4 ounces? 

I might be able to help you.